• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

7 Players who dont get the credit that they should get...

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Now for a few controversial players:

Salim malik: Lets forget the match fixing jibes for a moment.
labelled a flat track bully. Rightly so. But he wasnt that bad. But when he put it together he could be awesome. he destroyed india in 86 with a 35 ball 72 where he swept every pacer to the fence in a ODI.
Has got a fairly decent record.
But his biggest asset had to be his amazingly positive outlook and his obvious aggression.Had an excellent strike rate in ODI's for his time.

Ian Bishop: What a bowler !!!. If he had been fit and playing windies would not have lost their record so soon. Awesome pace and stike rate. Pity that injuries alwys seem to plague him..despite all excellent record..

David boon:This guy never gets mentioned in the media. Excllent record. Grt fielder as forward short leg. And one of the pillars of the aussie team during thier rebulding.And if i am right one of tasmania's few stars. ( latest being that ****** ponting).

Cybersmurf

U19 Cricketer
about Astle, i agree with Tim, in tests if u took out Astle we would still beat the teams we beat today, i think he is about third best in tests but for ODI's there is no denying him

P.S. i do think Astle is still underated and world class

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
whats wrong with ponting Scorpio hes a good bloke ?
Eclipse:
Ponting is certainly on of the most talented blokes around. But he is a ****** and prick at best.

I remember in the 2000 indian tour to oz...in the 3rd test...srinath bowled a short ball and it hit pontings bat handle and climbed to hit him on his helmet. Srinath was shocked and went to apologize to him on the pitch..and pontings reply was "f**k off" ...so classy :rolleyes:.

I have alwys seen him sledge or talk crap in the media like he has achieved much.

In aus tour to india he sucked big time against harb( who is not a patch on saqy or murali)

Morover he got the chance to re establish himself against poms while slater was discarded ( discipline problems for slats) coz he was the selectors golden boy.

And i have alwys observed that ponting seems to crack under pressure and has got more chances than other deserving players like symonds or martyn.

If waugh had not been stupid in not dropping ponting and warne in the last test at chennai aussies would have won the series.

Sorry abt my long rant...but i really hate this guy who to me atleast is all sour grapes and is blocking the place for symonds who i think is more talented..

Eclipse

International Debutant
From what I heard there was more to the Srinath Ponting conversation then you just suggested but I will leave that.

Any way I happen to think he is a good bloke he hasent really been cought out as a sleger as you say and one of his first moves as captain has been to stop the sleging that goes on in the australian team he publicly anounced this many times saying it was a problem.

I have seen alot of him and he has always seemed like a good bloke yes he was at times imiture when he was younger but I have forgiven him for those incedents.

My freind got his autograph and said he was areal nice bloke to.

I think hes alright but you intitled to your opinion.

Eclipse

International Debutant
he did strugle against harbajan but if you remember back a year before that he played Murili very well avraged over 50 that series.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse: I am indian so i might be a little biased. But i like warne, waugh and symonds and some others too..

But i just hate that bastard ponting. I dont think any one can sledge srinath.

I dont get this thing though. when waugh was not a captain he was the biggest and meanest bad a*s. But once he became captain he acted like a saint and the media praised him as a statesman..( haha good one).
I mean in his hey day waugh would have made ganguly looks like a kid crying for icecream.

Its the same thing with ponting. when he was a player he sledged every one..got in to fights in night clubs..came out with boisterous statements and sucked with the bat( in comparison) Then one fine day he is made a captian and immediately he is purified ? how does this happen ?

btw what do u think happened in that srinath episodetht i am not aware of? can u tell me ?

cheers

Eclipse

International Debutant
I heard Srinath had been making fun of his techneqe etc and that ponting regreted what he said and Later apoligised to Srinath.

Also From an australian cricketers point of veiw I dont think Ponting had made any discrepencys in the last 2-3 years and thats why he got the captaincy because he was thought to have matured.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I have never heard that story eclipse. Seeing srinath all these years i find that hard to beleive. Anyway tht was not the only time.

I consider him one of the biggest sledgers and jerks in the aussie team. Yeah he has calmed down recently. which i suppose i coz of his failures.

In india slats and langer averaged in the 30's. While ponting bought himself a new phone number with his scores. But come the Ashes it is langer and slater who are dropped while ponting keeps his place.

Just wondering if he wasnt the blue eyed boy of the selectors and waugh would he have retained his place ? Do you guys have any regional quotas or bias ? just wondering coz i dont know.

I really think that Martyn or symonds or even lehmann should have got a chance when ponting was sucking so badly that if he had an handle he could have been used as a vaccum cleaner...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you guys have any regional quotas or bias ? just wondering coz i dont know.
Yep. Quite ironically, it's usually against guys from Tasmania, where Ponting hails from. The bias (at least from my perception) is with any player from NSW. I mean, you just have to look at recent times where a certain player was picked ahead of another and NSW features prominently. Not so much anymore but only because they're not producing anywhere near the number of quality players they used to but it seems that in any line-ball decision, the nod goes to the guy from NSW.

Example: On the 1989 Ashes tour, the choice for a new opening batsman was between Tom Moody (WA) and Mark Taylor (NSW). Taylor got the nod.

1993 Ashes tour: choice between Matt Hayden (QLD) and Michael Slater (NSW) Slater gets the nod.

Taylor was retained for WAY longer than he should have been with his form slump and so was Steve Waugh for a while.

There are plenty more examples.

Eclipse

International Debutant
scorpio I think the reason he was not droped in the ashes test series was because of his brilliant form in the ODI series that came before the tests. he avraged 99 with 400 + runs and strike rate off 99 in that series.

They probably just were of the thought that he would come good eventualy and he did in the last 2 tests.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse: I agree with you. There is no question abt his talent.
But my point is if he wasnt so blatently favored by waugh and the selectors would he have got a chance?

Compared to symonds,martyn,slater,lehmann,stuart law,blewett..i would say ponting is extremely lucky..

Eclipse

International Debutant
I agree scorpio the selectors have been kind to him compaird to those you mentioned.

I think there treatment of players like symonds have been shocking.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
One player that doesn't always get the credit he desrves is Aravinda DeSilva.He is an awesome batsman but Jayasuriya hogs the limelight although DeSilva is by far the best batsman SriLanka has ever produced.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm thinking of proposing Jayasuriya in the overrated player thread - his ODI average is distinctly average.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He is still mostly a flat track bully who really punishes mediocre attacks, but does not fare all that well against quality attacks on bowler friendly pitches(I mean, in tests).

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes Mahela Jayawardene looks good too, but I guess we would have to wait and watch how he does against better attacks and unfirendly conditions et al.

As for Jayasuriya, I would say he is a devastating batsman when he gets going but he is close to being a flat track bully more often then not.DeSilva is a class act and not at all in the pinch-hitter category that Jayasuriya more or less belongs to.