• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Bangladesh Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sinclair has proven before he's not an opener..he is extremely vunerable to the new ball & yes, even Bangladesh will be a severe test for him.

He's a much better top order batsmen in tests because if he can get away with it..he can leave the ball as much as possible. In ODI's, you don't really get that luxury.

McCullum is the most likely candidate to open with Astle.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Harmison's career sky-rocketed after he demolished Bangladesh last year, Butler could do the same.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
No but he started to put it into good use from the Bangladesh series onwards I meant. There was no doubt that before that series he had done some serious work on his action etc.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
Steve Harmison's career sky-rocketed after he demolished Bangladesh last year, Butler could do the same.
Butler was getting whacked by county cricket's tailenders though, wasn't he!

I always thought he's a bit too fixated with speed and hurting people, and that seeing that made me wonder if it's still the same story. Hopefully with a NZ shirt on he'll concentrate on taking wickets and cementing his test spot instead.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Harmison's FC career wasn't that crash hot either though. Not that im expecting Butler to do a Harmison..I presume it'll be the same mixed bag from Butler in Bangladesh.

NZ desperately need him to find his feet at international level though...with Tuffey losing the plot there doesn't appear to be any other bowler around apart from Oram who can hold it together.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
No but he started to put it into good use from the Bangladesh series onwards I meant. There was no doubt that before that series he had done some serious work on his action etc.
Yes, and I think it was muscle memory that began to kick in/

anzac

International Debutant
I'm still prepared to give Butler the benefit of the doubt - he could well be like Marshall re intl stats v domestic etc...........his last couple of outings for NZL weren't really that bad - and didn't he out perform Harmison in the Tri series???? and I don't recall any other bowler being able to give Flintoff a hurry up.............

anzac

International Debutant
Franklin's economy rate in the A series ODIs will have given him a big boost.........

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Jamie How let me down badly in South Africa. A good series would have really put the pressure on Papps, but he failed to take his opportunities.
I wonder if the quicker pitches had anything to do with it????????

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Sinclair has proven before he's not an opener..he is extremely vunerable to the new ball & yes, even Bangladesh will be a severe test for him.

He's a much better top order batsmen in tests because if he can get away with it..he can leave the ball as much as possible. In ODI's, you don't really get that luxury.

McCullum is the most likely candidate to open with Astle.
Sinclair did quite well as an opener last season in Limited overs in the Nth v Sth match.......didn't he also open in the ODIs v SRL A??????????

My main concern has been his early innings footwork, but he has supposedly done some work on it..........he certainly looked the part in the 3rd Test v RSA at The Basin..........came in early in the 1st innings & did quite well on a pitch that most other NZL batsmen were bemoaning the extra pace & bounce - no wonder few of our batsmen can play on anything other than slow & low pitches..............

Mingster

State Regular
Sinclair is not an international standard opener. I also would like to see McCullum open with Astle, instead of McCullum being wasted down as low as 8. McCullum's batting has come a long way since he debuted in Australia, and I think he is ready for the step up to opening an ODI innings again. I hope Fulton will play in the ODIs at 3, perfect opportunity to blood him before the main assignment against Australia.

anzac

International Debutant
my standard response to a replacement player requirement would be that you replace like with like, or role for role...............thus Sinclair to replace Fleming to Open.............even tho' he is a makeshift opener (as is Fleming).......

however I also agree that McCullum has shown a lot more application to his batting than many of those above him in the order..............

if McCullum does open again in ODIs (one of the reasons behind his initial selection) and he does well with Astle, then what does this mean for the lineup when Flem returns????? A return to the same top order as in that VB series debut with Astle, McCullum, Fleming - then Marshall, Styris, Cairns, Oram, Vettori?????????

and what of Styris or Astle if Fulton does well - me thinks they'd be safe enough after just 1 series v BAN, but it could be interesting v AUS & SRL.........

bottom line I just hope that they give all squad members a run in both series as they're not likely to get a better opportunity until they come up against ZIM..............

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Sinclair should not open in tests, I think that much is obvious. As for ODIs, it would be nice if Fulton gets a go if someone is rested, or they finally drop MacMillan. I think they will probably look to open with Sinclair and Astle in the ODIs, McCullum has come a long way but I don't think he will be used up the order since there is no room for him when Fleming returns, and he has been playing very well at 7-8.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I gather Fulton is just going as a bench-warmer & should NZ win the first 2 ODI's, he may well get a look in for the dead-rubber match.

I'm not convinced Sinclair is an opener. In my view I have always seen him as a #3 or #4 in both forms of the game.
Astle is probably better off opening as he is coming towards the end of his career. Sinclair still has another 6 years at least so NZ need to put him in a spot which they will expect him to play everytime...and I don't think it will be as an opener.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Sinclair likely to open for Black Caps in tests

Sigh

Honestly I really don't know why they are playing him as an opener. He is not a test match opener. I only reason behind this I can see is they are going to use Papps against Aussie, and having Sinclair open here is just a temp job.

Kent

State 12th Man
Let's face it, Bangladesh are not a great test of a batsman claiming he's reached a new level. However they did get us 40/4 once, so IMO it's a reasonable idea to guarrantee Sinclair is in against the new ball and just see what happens.

Obviously if Papps still isn't fit for Aussie, I'd have serious issues with Sinclair remaining as opener.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
They were better off blooding a new opener IMO rather than doing a patch-up job with Sinclair.
I think Jamie How was his own worst enemy though...Im sure that if he had put the runs on the board in South Africa that he would have been selected for Bangladesh.

Sinclair deserved to go to Bangladesh because he scored runs..BUT not as an opener in South Africa. I can't believe Sinclair is willing to be thrown around the batting lineup once again...but I guess he's desperate to prove himself anywhere.

The feeling I get from comments by Bracewell is that they're taking the team over to trial various ideas e.g. Captaincy, batting order etc. Now I don't mind this, but Bangladesh have shown to be reasonably competitive at home..I hope we don't muck around too much.

Dydl

International Debutant
Would it really matter if NZ mucked around a lot?
Bangladesh might not be able to seize that opportunity if it came.