• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most inconsistent player

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
That may be right; since the beginning of his career Vaughans series averages have read either 50+ or less then 30. He has achieved 30-37 averages though on only 3 occasions, which isn't really that great anyway.

Compare this to Ponting, who in 28 series has been 30+ 23 times, and this of course includes his infamous India 2000/01 average of 3.40:laughing:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is well known that Vaas is the most inconsistent bowler in the World - even his number 1 fan (Richard) acknowledges this.

If you want an example, have a look at his last tour of England - for his style of bowling, those conditions should be helpful...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Lol yeah im not disagreeing im just saying that a post of 4 words with no explanation doesn't do much:) You would have to concede that...

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sure he was crap on the England tour, I said he rarely bowls terribly

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, and he didn't bowl terribly in West Indies in 2003 (4 for 203), nor in South Africa in 2000\01 (1 for 218), nor in the 1998\99 ATC (1 for 267), nor in India in 1997\98 (4 for 292, average 73), nor at home to India previously (4 for 191, average 47.74), nor in Australia in 1995\96 (9 for 371, average 41.22), nor in Pakistan in 1994 (0 for 80).
In 33 Test-series, he's averaged under 27 11 times; between 27 and 30 5 times (the mark of a "consistent" bowler is averaging here lots); between 30 and 40 8 times (the best bowling-averages invariably result from managing to average here in your less good times); and over 40 a massively disappointing 8 times. In 3 series he's averaged over 100.
There are also game-by-game variations in these series, of course.
The one thing that perhaps gives him the impression of consistency is that he doesn't all that often go for very many (in just 2 of those 33 series has he gone for more than 3.25-an-over).

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
Oh yes he does.
ofcourse another anti sri lankan comment by Marc :D how lame

i'm sure there are worse players than Vass in world cricket..oh i'm sorry he's Sri Lankan..what am i thinking.

Andre

International Regular
nookie_lk said:

i'm sure there are worse players than Vass in world cricket..oh i'm sorry he's Sri Lankan..what am i thinking.
Indeed, what are you thinking? It's very well known that Vaas is one of the most inconsistent bowlers in world cricket. Not so much in ODIs, but certainly in Tests.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Some distributions:

Average 0-15: Vaas 3 - Pollock 5 - McGrath 3 - Gough 0
Average 15-20: Vaas 3 - Pollock 5 - McGrath 10 - Gough 4
Average 20-25: Vaas 4 - Pollock 11 - McGrath 8 - Gough 1
Average 25-30: Vaas 6 - Pollock 6 - McGrath 2 - Gough 2
Average 30-35: Vaas 7 - Pollock 1 - McGrath 3 - Gough 2
Average 35-50: Vaas 3 - Pollock 1 - McGrath 5 - Gough 4
Average 50-100: Vaas 2 - Pollock 0 - McGrath 2 - Gough 1
Average 100+: Vaas 4 - Pollock 0 - McGrath 0 - Gough 2

Note the consistency in Pollock and McGrath compared to Vaas (and to a lesser extent Gough).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Also exemplified by the standard deviations of the series averages.

Pollock 6.42
McGrath 12.26
Gough 46.67
Vaas 54.43

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Harmo, incidentally, has a distribution of 2/1/2/1/0/1/1/0 and an SD of 14.83.

Standard deviation, incidentally, is a measure of the spread of values. In theory, 68.2% of values are within 1 SD each side of the data's mean, 95.4% within 2 and 99.7% within 3.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Also exemplified by the standard deviations of the series averages.

Pollock 6.42
McGrath 12.26
Gough 46.67
Vaas 54.43
That Goughie's is as high as this is a bit of a surprise to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nookie_lk said:

Oh, without doubt there are many, many, many worse players than Chaminda in World cricket - but not many more inconsistent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nookie_lk said:

Erm no, just pointing out an acknowledged fact (Neil and I agree, and for once so does Richard - there can be no more surefire proof that that)

If you're so insecure that you interpret anyone who disagrees about the ability of Sri Lanka as a form of racism, then that is your problem and nobody elses.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seeing as I haven't got anything else better to do with the time:

Sanford 10.92
Dillion 17.42 (was 8.81 before the 90 in SA that got him dropped)
Lawson 20.03
Drakes 33.44
Collymore 35.23
Edwards 35.97
Banks 38.73
Best 41.31
Collins 72.67 (he has a 102, 142 and 264 to go with a 15, 17 and 21)

Left-arm seamers, honestly. And because I can read minds:
Nehra 28.95
Zaheer 19.45
Pathan 26.87
Mullally 10.28
Wasim 12.66
O'Connor 24.90

Bear in mind that SDs become more reliable over time (and two series is highly inaccurate).