• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZL A in RSA

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
Do you think this could have any bearing on New Zealand's tour of Australia in the next month or two?
only if the selectors grow a pair.....................

the itinary is ICC, BAN, AUS, SRL, AUS, ZIM, RSA, ZIM...........

IMO for the selectors to pick anyone outside the squad that went to ENG they'd have to have an outstanding 'A' series in RSA, backed up by selection to BAN / noteworthy domestic form - plus some established Test players failing in the ICC & BAN tours to go with any failures from the ENG tour..............

but don't ask me - I still believe in a 'horses for courses' selection policy....& I don't think a lot of NZL batsmen (int or domestic) have the right technique to face int bowling outside local conditions..........

I'm very suspicious of domestic form based upon our traditional slow & low pitches & players ability to translate that into the harder & faster pitches overseas.............

the only batsmen in the current team I'd put any money on on any sort of pitch / bowling would be Fleming & Richardson, possibly followed by Styris - the rest I have questions about in different conditions...........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Do you think this could have any bearing on New Zealand's tour of Australia in the next month or two?
IMO it's unlikely there'd be too many changes - just hope they take more than 14 this time!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ don't need to take a huge squad to Aus, it's only a 3 hour trip across the Tasman if they need to send replacements.

I don't think NZ's squad from the England tour will change that much, maybe 1 or 2 places, maybe none at all.
NZ were in all 3 of those tests until the 5th day..I think it's more of a mental thing than ability.

Kent

State 12th Man
The Bangladesh tour presents an opportunity for a struggling test side to try a few things, and I'd be disappointed if NZ didn't.

Given his aggressive nature, I think Bracewell is desperate to get some genuine pace in his XI. After labelling the bowlers on the English tour "deck kissers" that were exposed by the pitch conditions, I think he'll need to groom either Butler or Sherlock for the Australian tour to avoid similar criticism.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Butler needs to start showing some signs that he's improving. He's been around for long enough now to realise the standard he needs to reach & surely under top class coaching he's improved his skill level.

Sherlock seems to be having an immediate impact on the FC scene where-as Butler has never really kicked off yet after 2 years...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
the good news is that Cricinfo WILL be showing live coverage of S.A 'A' v NZ 'A' starting tonight.

shaka

International Regular
From the recent match between NZA and Lions, I think that Peter Fulton is showing black caps material, and that Fleming being scared to bowl Wiseman was so far holding true, he was hit for 56 runs in 14 over without a single wicket.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
IMO it's unlikely there'd be too many changes - just hope they take more than 14 this time!
15 at the most, but likely 14, given the closeness between the two countries, and it doesn't cost that much to send somebody as a replacement as it would be to England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
i hope you don't become a selector Saul!. You've apparently established that in a match which had both teams playing 12 a side, Peter Fulton is the most likely to play for NZ next & that Wiseman's figures confirm why Fleming doesn't bowl him.

shaka

International Regular
Tim, all I was saying is that this past domestic season, Peter Fulton put in some solid performances, and have now been backed up, and with Wiseman i said that Fleming does not like to bowl him because of the chance of getting hit around, that match was an incident that supported what he believes, when it comes to Paul Wiseman

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ'A' batting first.

Bell, How, Sinclair, Vincent, Fulton, Taylor, Franklin, Canning, Hopkins, Mason & Chris Martin

disappointing that Sherlock isn't in..but good to see Taylor have a go.

Kent

State 12th Man
No Sherlock?!

If he's not injured, that's almost a scandal IMO. Perhaps a case of a sidekick sticking to Bracewell's blueprint rather than using some common sense.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he'll get at least one 4 dayer on the tour. Fingers crossed that we see some good batting from NZ today.

Kent

State 12th Man
Well you're looking like one of the better cricket analysts in NZ so far, Tim.

Bell to struggle? Yep. Jamie How to bring out his pull shot and enjoy the SA conditions? Yep... ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamie How looked incredibly good down on that Jade Stadium pitch back in January...he's going to get a diet of that kind of pitch for the next month, so hopefully he banks a few runs.

Anybody would know that Bell will struggle against a decent bowling attack..I don't want anyone to fail, but I would be gutted if he were the next in-line to open for NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
A few years back...a 3rd string S.A 'A' team would have killed NZ 'A'. Things have changed alot.

shaka

International Regular
Yeh thats true. Do you think Lou Vincent will be able to force his way into the team, or do u think Marshall has secured the fielding all rounder position in the squad?