Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Results 526 to 535 of 535

Thread: Here's an idea for Englands ODI squad!!

  1. #526
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    If batsmen play poor strokes you don't need to bowl penetratively!
    have you been following any part of my argument about pressure?
    good players dont play poor strokes whenever they feel like you know....

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    If you say so - nonetheless, his figures were far better than they normally are. And it still doesn't change the fact that, in Lara's 13-year career, there are bound to be more than a few occasions where people have tried that.
    its quite possible that they did, except that those people probably didnt have the pace or the accuracy to carry it out well enough.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    No, I don't - I've always said I can only guess at the rest of their careers before 2000\01-2001.
    no you cant because 3 years out of 10 doesnt make a career....thats like me saying ramprakash was total and complete garbage for all his test career by only watching his first few years in his test career.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  2. #527
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Lara's failed in other series, believe me - especially between 1994\95 and 2001\02.
    Just because he's done well at times against everyone doesn't disguise the fact that even the best are outdone at times.
    One such occasion was in 2000 (England). Another in 2000\01 (Australia).
    and hes played well far more often against those teams too, that doesnt really say much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Yes, there were, I just said that. There weren't, however, any chances.
    which is just as bad as chances, it suggests that gayle was lucky rather than gayle batted brilliantly and tore apart the attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It wasn't just Ntini, it was all the bowlers - and yes, shortish balls can be good balls, as long as they're on the right line.
    funny that, not long ago you were saying that no short ball deserves wickets, yet now you are going on calling them good balls.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    All the bowlers bowled plenty of good-line balls, and Gayle thrashed many of them through the covers.
    then you didnt watch closely enough, i distinctly remember ntini bowling his short rubbish. and if gayle smashed many through the covers it only suggests that they bowled too wide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Yes, it is - nonetheless, it results in a fast scoring-rate without wickets falling, which is no use to the fielding side and a lot of use to the batting side.
    and i might add its not especially good batting either.....just like getting wickets with luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I've not once said it never happens - I have, however, said it doesn't happen very often to quality batsmen, and when it does it doesn't result in wickets falling anywhere near as often as some seem to think.
    and it doesnt, depending on the type of batsman of course. if you managed to somehow contain viv richards by preventing him from scoring runs i wouldnt be surprised if you went on to get him out sooner rather than later. but as i've said time and time again, slow scoring doesnt usually affect quality batsmen in test match cricket.

  3. #528
    Cricket Spectator one_dayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At the boundary
    Posts
    44
    Ruddy hell, never did I think this thread would reach 36 pages

  4. #529
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Well I can never be proved correct in the "good batsmen don't feel pressure because of a slow scoring-rate" - it's something that I've heard in commentary since commentary began. Yes, that does include stuff in the days of not losing coming before winning.
    All I can do is try to keep watching and working-out what I seem to be true.
    In any case, even in today's cricket World - 500 in 170 overs might be perceived to be worse than 450 in 130, but IMO that will give you the best chance of the game.
    I mean, it really is almost ridiculous that sides are making 500 and still not being anywhere near safe from defeat, because they're not batting long enough.
    Even if winning is now more important than not losing, scoring ridiculously fast doesn't always give you the best chance of winning.
    A side knowing they've got nothing other than a draw to play for can never have it's importance underestimated IMO.
    If a team makes 500 and doesn't win maybe it's due to poor bowling on their behalf, instead of the fact they didn't bat long enough. If you've got the best all-round team then scoring 500 quickly will give you the best chance to bowl the opposition out twice, but if you have a talented batting team, but no bowlers, then you'll be in trouble regardless.

    If you play for nothing but a draw from the start, then you might as well not be there.


  5. #530
    Cricket Spectator superwills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14
    england should try flintoff up the order...

  6. #531
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Soooooooooo tempted to reply to all those unreplied tec posts TBH (why on EARTH did I let them go? ) but will resist for the sake of society.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  7. #532
    International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,220
    Do it. For the children. And because I'm bored. Out of my ****ing mind.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

    Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

  8. #533
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Hmm. Will wait for a few more seals-of-approval TBH.

  9. #534
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    **** me this thread was dire.

  10. #535
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    EDIT: I'll say one thing... ^%$ me, I'd forgotten about some of these threads... I really did have time to burn back in 2004, didn't I? How is it possible to go for the best part of 13 pages arguing against three different people?
    Last edited by Richard; 25-09-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Vic Bushrangers 04/05 Squad
    By Hoggy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-06-2004, 12:22 AM
  2. England squad named
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 24-02-2004, 12:11 PM
  3. Aussie 30 man Prelim World Cup Squad annouced
    By Blewy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-12-2002, 03:56 PM
  4. Player Movements.
    By Graham in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-09-2002, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •