• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Benauds All Time Team

a massive zebra

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Here is mine

1. J Hobbs
2. RG Pollock
3. IVA Richards
4. D Bradman
5. G Sobers
6. B Richards
7. A Gilchrist
8. SK Warne
9. DK Lillee
10. M Marshall
11. M Holding

Reserves: W Hammond, A Roberts, GD McGrath, S Gavaskar, S Barnes, SM Pollock,
Sort your batting order out. It should be:

1. JB Hobbs
2. B Richards
3. DG Bradman
4. RG Pollock
5. IVA Richards
6. GS Sobers
7. AC Gilchrist
8. MD Marshall
9. SK Warne
10. DK Lillee
11. MA Holding

or something like that.....

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Err, because I've actally looked, rather than just generalised.

Looked at limited, selective footage and drew conclusive evidence.

Is that the same as me watching a video containing 100 goals, 99 of which are scored by Coventry, and claiming that Coventry are clearly the best aside ever?

Swervy

International Captain
Dasa said:
I disagree. I would rate Wasim higher than Lillee and Hadlee but I can't say about Larwood since I've obviously never seen him bowl. Marshall I would rate higher than Wasim.
Don't forget, Wasim offers something extra not just with the ball, but with the bat as well.
I respect peoples opinions etc...but there is no way Wasim was better than Lillee or espeicailly Hadlee.

Oh and Wasim wasnt that good with the bat either

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
I respect peoples opinions etc...but there is no way Wasim was better than Lillee or espeicailly Hadlee.

Oh and Wasim wasnt that good with the bat either
i think he will have the best record with bat among the three mentioned here isn't he????

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
i think he will have the best record with bat among the three mentioned here isn't he????
hadlee and wasim were as good as each other with the bat...wasims batting went down hill big time later in his career...hadlee actually felt more reliable with the bat that Wasim.

Anyway, you dont pick bowlers on batting ability. Hadlee as a bowler was streets ahead of Wasim

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Hadlee as a bowler was streets ahead of Wasim
not true....they were both great bowlers....to put their statistics in perspective, akram bowled at least 1/2 his career on relatively flat sub-continent wickets while hadlee had the advantage of bowling of pace friendly, swing friendly nz wickets....i wouldn't like to put one above the other because both are among my favourites....hadlee was not that many streets ahead or even yards ahead of wasim!

Swervy

International Captain
Anil said:
not true....they were both great bowlers....to put their statistics in perspective, akram bowled at least 1/2 his career on relatively flat sub-continent wickets while hadlee had the advantage of bowling of pace friendly, swing friendly nz wickets....i wouldn't like to put one above the other because both are among my favourites....hadlee was not that many streets ahead or even yards ahead of wasim!
forget stats, forget the excuse of bowling on flat wickets, Hadlee was much more accuracy and control than Wasim, infact probably more accuracy and control with what he did with the ball more than any bowler I have seen (with POSSIBLE exceptions of Marshall and Lillee)...for me Wasim was a great bowler in the context of his generation, hadlee was a great bowler in the context of the entire history of test cricket

Raj123

U19 Debutant
lillee's record outside aus and england is bit of an unknown ( and what little evidence there is isn't great). hadlee, marshall, holding would perhaps be a better option.

Deja moo

International Captain
Wasim bowled half the time on dead subcontinental pitches , while Hadlee bowled half the time in NZ , that is a massive advantage for Hadlee , who if "yards better" than Wasim ,should have ended up with a much better bowling average .

Lilee played what , 3 tests in the subcontinent?

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
That's a bit of a generalisation to say every subcontinental pitch he played on was flat.
That wouldnt be right , but considering the huge amount of cricket Wasim played on the subcontinent , Hadlees record would have to be much much better than Wasims to claim that Hadlee was yards ahead of him ,which he wasnt .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes but then you bear in mind that Hadlee was in a much weaker side, and still took more wickets in many many fewer overs and at a fair bit lower average (in percentage terms - 1.5 in 23.62 isn't insignificant)

Also, he didn't have 10 matches against Zimbabawe to boost his figures.

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Also, he didn't have 10 matches against Zimbabawe to boost his figures.
But he bowled during a period when pitches worldwide were more friendlier to bowlers .

Swervy

International Captain
Deja moo said:
That wouldnt be right , but considering the huge amount of cricket Wasim played on the subcontinent , Hadlees record would have to be much much better than Wasims to claim that Hadlee was yards ahead of him ,which he wasnt .

so how much cricket did you see Hadlee play then????

Hadlees play stepped up a gear in the eighties, that is how he will be remebered. In his last 50 test matches (he played a total of 86), he took 276 wickets at 19.4 and a strike rate of 46.8..and performances of 5/65,6/49,4/39,3/99 in India in the late 80's suggests he never struggled in India (in all he played 6 matches in India,and took 31 wickets at 22)

And as far as I can tell, Hadlee's test record is quite a bit better than Wasims.Have a look at Wasims record in India (as this quite often on here appears to be the barometer that some people look at to see if someone is any good or not)...8 matches 27 wickets at 28 each)

But forgetting the statsitics (which hadlee wins on anyway), Hadlee was pure and simple, the better bowler, and IN MY OPINION, was quite some distance ahead of Wasim.

I know who I would choose to bowl for me life

Swervy

International Captain
Deja moo said:
But he bowled during a period when pitches worldwide were more friendlier to bowlers .
poor excuse i am afraid...i dont think pitches are much easier to play on these days as a batter...there are some great batsmen around and there arent as many top notch bowlers around, hence the inflated batting averages we see in the late 90's and this decade