Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakshmipathy Balaji: can he make a comeback?

Lakshmipathy Balaji: can he make a comeback?

I'm not saying I hate Balaji. Actually I respect this guy a lot because he's very hard working and it took some guts for him to make it back into the team after that disastrous debut in 2002. I think he has a great attitude because he's very down to earth. Plus Balaji's the only player in the indian team who hasnt fell for endorsements. but as a bowler he has a long way to go, to say the least. You have to admit he has great potential because he was the best bowler during the third test of the India-pak series, five catches were dropped off his bowling and he still managed to get seven wickets in the match. but during the Asia Cup he bowled extremely wayward and struggled throughout. Some people think he'll never play again and others think he will get back in form during the Holland Cup. He's a good guy but i dont think he has enough confidence left in him and needs to do some serious work. What do you think?
    Last edited by la28; 06-08-2004 at 02:24 PM.
    "Life would be dull without idiots" - Navjot Singh Sidhu
    proud to be an indian no matter how much we lose
    Supporter of Lakshmipathy Balaji

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    He's not yet 23.

I would expect he'll play many more matches.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    I have no doubt that he will froce his way back into the Indian team in the near future.
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    No doubt he will be back.. i think really there are only like 3-4 med/med fast Bowlers contesting for a spot that didnt make the team for the ICC etc.. Bhandari, Salvi, SS Paul(he looks impressive) and Balaji.. Ofcourse khan too but hes injured ..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

You all are talking as if Balaji has been dropped !!! He is still in the team and for all we know still Ganguly's second choice ... The discussion about whether he can come back is stupid IMO, he didn't play a couple of games, doesn't mean he has been sidelined..
    India to be No.1 someday soon !! :)

I have no doubt he will be back, considering how well he performed in the VB series and some other ODI's in India before that. Just because he conceded a few runs in SL doesn't make him a bad ODI bowler. Zaheer has done that several times, particularly the shocking opening over in the World Cup final.

Balaji was really struggling to control the ball in the Asia Cup. I think he will be back in form as soon as the Videocon and Natwest Challenge

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Balaji looks to me like a slightly lesser Agarkar.
    I'll be surprised if he's a fixture the way Pathan looks like becoming.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Young enough to come again - for sure.
    Good enough to come again - probably.
    Mentally tough enough to come again - only time will tell.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Mental toughness - all part of being good.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Mental toughness - all part of being good.
    Agreed - should have realised you were back and wrote a thesis on the meaning of the word 'talent'

when Balaji broke his bat while batting in pakistan, he became one of my fav players! i thought he bowled really well in pakistan. He became the fav Indian player to many pakistanis as well (my friend for one). I hope he makes the team again. Any bowler can have one bad series.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    his action is pretty weird tho eh?? ah well, i hope he comes back well.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyCrazy
    when Balaji broke his bat while batting in pakistan, he became one of my fav players! i thought he bowled really well in pakistan. He became the fav Indian player to many pakistanis as well (my friend for one). I hope he makes the team again. Any bowler can have one bad series.
    Yeah, amazing how many Pakistanis took to him.
    Apparently they cheered for him far more regularly than for Dravid or anyone else.

I have no doubt he will be back, considering how well he performed in the VB series
    How well? He was average against the Zims and awful against the Aussies, ending the series with an average of 42.

He is one of many Indian pace bowling heroes who profit from low bounce of Indian pitches by bowling short repeatedly, because of which he is a target on faster pitches. He needs to adjust his line and length when playing in different conditions.

Another weakness is his approach to the wicket- it is very diagonal. That will reduce his bowled/LBW chances. If he runs in straight, towards the stumps, he will not only improve those chances, but also cut down on his infamous wide count.

He lacks the pace to be effective as a fast bowler, so trying to bowl like a fast bowler won't help him at all. At his pace, he should swing the ball more often. His main strength as a bowler is the away swing. When conditions don't suit his swing bowling, he should stick to a line and length, because at his slow pace (weakness of many Indian pace bowlers), if he bowls any loose deliveries, they can be attacked without posing any real threat to the batsman.

At present, Salvi and Bhandari are better bowlers in conditions away from home, especially in England, so Balaji has to try hard to stay in the team. He is a better batsman and fielder than these two, so that's his advantage, but they're not the worst fielders either. Apart from bowling, he should improve his six-hitting and be more consistent as a fielder.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information