• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is so wrong with the West Indies?

Craig

World Traveller
I have to ask, what the hell is going wrong with them? Is it attitude, lack of professionalism, or just simply no disipline what so ever in their camp (excuse the pun).

At that rate things are going, Gus Logie might be advised to update his resume and there will be a press release from the WICB announcing that Ramnaresh Sarwan is the new captain of the West Indies, and Sarwan saying to the press how 'it is been his lifelong dream of captaining the West Indies' etc.

If that is too happen it obviously won't happen once the ICC CT is completed.

Maybe the WICB should follow Ian Botham's suggestion and appoint a foregin coach that has no ties what so ever in the Caribbean?

Either way IMO heads will probably have to roll to get some progress.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see any domestic cricket from the West Indies so really im just commenting as an outsider. I feel there is alot of raw talent coming through but perhaps the grass-roots coaching in the West Indies is not really good enough to fine-tune that talent?
Im sure Liam & others will have their reasons.

Craig

World Traveller
The talent is there, there is no doubting it, the likes of Devon Smith, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Dwayne Bravo, Fidel Edwards, Jerome Taylor, Omari Banks, Jermain Lawson, Ravi Rampaul, Carlton Baugh, Dwayne Smith etc. are proof of that.

I don't know the lack of money could be the hindrence in all forward planning. But I think it would be good idea making their domestic competition home and away.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
no discipline and lack of proffesionalism probably.. they lack a serious decent spinner.. maybe i should consider going to west indies after my studies live for 4 years and hope for the best?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lord_of_darkness said:
no discipline and lack of proffesionalism probably.. they lack a serious decent spinner.. maybe i should consider going to west indies after my studies live for 4 years and hope for the best?
Dave Mohammed is untried and Omari Banks has great potential.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Maybe the WICB should follow Ian Botham's suggestion and appoint a foregin coach that has no ties what so ever in the Caribbean?
We tried that but it didn't come through, so we fell back on Logie as sort of a backup plan.

Swervy

International Captain
there have been some plus points for WI:

Bravo
Banks (he will get a lot better)
Gayle
Chaderpaul

for me the bowling has just lacked consistancy, and then England get a massive score, then its pressure all the way for the WI batting, who are young and so crack

steds

Hall of Fame Member
How come all of the bowlers are so young and inexperienced. You need
a balance in your team and the West Indian attack isn't balanced. Where are Mervyn Dillon and Vasbert Drakes? As things are Tino Best, Fidel Edwards, jermaine Lawson and Omari Banks are learning their cricket the hard way - by getting tonked all over the place.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
there have been some plus points for WI:

Bravo
Banks (he will get a lot better)
Gayle
Chaderpaul

for me the bowling has just lacked consistancy, and then England get a massive score, then its pressure all the way for the WI batting, who are young and so crack
Also I think Best was very impressive in the Natwest series. Chanderpaul isn't really a positive per se as he has been reliable for the West Indies for years now. Gayle has been a real surprise. No one (including me) gave him a prayer on English pitches.

Bravo and Banks are two for the future for sure. Consider how young they both still are. For that reason I think some people have too high expectations for them.

Swervy

International Captain
steds said:
a balance in your team and the West Indian attack isn't balanced. Where are Mervyn Dillon and Vasbert Drakes? As things are Tino Best, Fidel Edwards, jermaine Lawson and Omari Banks are learning their cricket the hard way - by getting tonked all over the place.
its how harmison learned :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

steds said:
Vasbert Drakes is not a Test quality bowler IMO. He bowled well against Australia, but was horribly disappointing against South Africa. He's a good bowler, but past his best.

Dillon would be useful in this attack, but I fear he's was out of the selectors' thoughts. That said, another bowling injury and he'd be the next man to be called up.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
We tried that but it didn't come through, so we fell back on Logie as sort of a backup plan.
But how many times have the WICB tried though? Once?

Langeveldt

Soutie
1/ Lack of professionalism, poor atitude
2/ I don't rate Lara at all as a captain. I don't think he is especially good tactically, and he is not a good leader of men, although he does set the example..
3/ Lack of patience in the test matches. Cameos instead of grit might look good, but they don't usually win you tough matches *cough, Chris Gayle*

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Langevelt, it's not a matter of Lara's a bad captain so we'll just put someone else. The problem is: We don't have a captain to fall back on. That's why Lara was reappointed in the first place. Sarwan has not shown competency as captain. He has barely captained Guyana.

Craig

World Traveller
Revelation said:
Langevelt, it's not a matter of Lara's a bad captain so we'll just put someone else. The problem is: We don't have a captain to fall back on. That's why Lara was reappointed in the first place. Sarwan has not shown competency as captain. He has barely captained Guyana.
So then why is the captain in waiting then? And apparently in the few ODIs he has captained the West Indies he had the West Indies playing as a team on what they currently are.

Either way I don't think it will be long before he has full reigns on the team either if Lara is sacked as captain or he (Lara) resigns as captain.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
3/ Lack of patience in the test matches. Cameos instead of grit might look good, but they don't usually win you tough matches *cough, Chris Gayle*
I agree.

I would rather see an 'ugly' hundred from Gayle when he has to bat all day for it, then score it off 84 balls.