• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Congratulations* Brian Lara 10,000 Test Runs!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Swervy said:
I think he does...

but even then, a good bouncer (or short pitched ball) doesnt have to deviate to be good
Yeah i know i wasnt saying the bouncer wasnt a good ball..it was perfectly aimed.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i think yorkers would be a lot more succesful if they happend to deviate very late.. that is a lot more trickier than a yorker that is straight in..

Swervy

International Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
i think yorkers would be a lot more succesful if they happend to deviate very late.. that is a lot more trickier than a yorker that is straight in..
obviously..but if you are fast enough (or some may say, more importantly tall enough, ie.Joel garner the best 'yorker' of the last 25 years in my opinion), it can be dead straight and it can do the damage (gain like Garner's)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
lord_of_darkness said:
The inswinging yorker's the thing. How often do you see the batsman dismissed with the ball ricochetting off bat and/or pad onto the stumps?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
The inswinging yorker's the thing. How often do you see the batsman dismissed with the ball ricochetting off bat and/or pad onto the stumps?
Yep..that late in ducking yorker is the best ball in cricket for my money. ( although obviously the one that swings in pitches on middle then seams away to hit the top of off isnt that shabby :P )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I did yes, but the yorker wasn't a bad one either!
No Bouncer can ever be a particularly good ball.
Bowl them at Graeme next winter and he'll smack them every time.
However weak he supposedly is through the off. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
obviously..but if you are fast enough (or some may say, more importantly tall enough, ie.Joel garner the best 'yorker' of the last 25 years in my opinion), it can be dead straight and it can do the damage (gain like Garner's)
The reason the Garner Yorker was as exceptional as it was was because it so often came from the trees outside the ground.
I'd be surprised if Garner's hand wasn't 10ft above the ground, possibly more, in delivery.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Bowl them at Graeme next winter and he'll smack them every time.

Will this come back and haunt you like several other comments over the recent past I wonder?

Bouncers can be extremely good wicket-taking balls - that one that got Lara was one perfect example - Lara couldn't play it and got out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
yes but as I said, a lot of successful yorkers are dead straight
Good batsmen don't often get out to Yorkers that just stay on the same line.
Please note the often here, and do not go banging on about the Lara dismissal.
The inswinging Yorker (or indeed the outswinging Yorker) is a different ball to almost anything else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Will this come back and haunt you like several other comments over the recent past I wonder?
Such as?
When have I ever said Harmison "will not" get cheap wickets against his name, or anything else such as?
I haven't, because I'm very wary about making "will" comments without being totally confident.
And as I've never seen Graeme look remotely uncomfortable against a single short-ball in all my time watching him I'm fairly sure of myself here.
Bouncers can be extremely good wicket-taking balls - that one that got Lara was one perfect example - Lara couldn't play it and got out.
And the fact that he very clearly lost it at the crucial point might just have had something to do with that.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Good batsmen don't often get out to Yorkers that just stay on the same line.
Please note the often here, and do not go banging on about the Lara dismissal.
The inswinging Yorker (or indeed the outswinging Yorker) is a different ball to almost anything else.
all i am saying is that a lot of successful yorkers are dead straight...thats all. The best exponent of the yorker IMO was garner and he didnt swing the ball

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Was it not you who said Harmison wouldn't take wickets through good bowling, or that Gayle wouldn't score runs in England?

Richard said:
And the fact that he very clearly lost it at the crucial point might just have had something to do with that.
And the fact he lost it couldn't have been because it was too good for him...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Was it not you who said Harmison wouldn't take wickets through good bowling, or that Gayle wouldn't score runs in England?
So when on Earth did I say that Gayle "wouldn't" score runs in England?
I'm not even sure I said I don't think he's likely to because I've always thought he's a rather good batsman, but I can see why some people might think he wasn't likely to.
And the fact he lost it couldn't have been because it was too good for him...
No, it couldn't, because good batsmen don't lose balls because they're too quick for them.
Lara clearly struggled to pick-up another Flintoff ball earlier in the series, a slower-ball, and it seemed to unsettle him into his dismissal 2 balls later.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
all i am saying is that a lot of successful yorkers are dead straight...thats all. The best exponent of the yorker IMO was garner and he didnt swing the ball
Yes, but he did come from a height that few if any have ever come from.