• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why were the best coaches in the world Weren’t the best players in the world ???

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
In my opinion the most successful contemporary coach is Dav Whatmore.

He converted an average Sri Lankan outfit to win the World Cup and was largely instrumental in changing their performances and fortunes in Test cricket. He has had moderate success with Bangladesh.

He also had a successful 2 year stint with Lancashire in English County Cricket (Something JB was unsuccessful at - attributed to his inability to get along with members of the Middlesex Team at the time - resulting in his contract being terminated IIRC).

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
because there is a lot more to coaching than you obviously think there is...man management skills,feedback giving etc are as important in successful coaching as knowing the technical side of things.

Very good players will almost instinctively do the right things without always knowing what they are doing,almost as if the game is TOO easy for them.The average player knows what it takes to battle through technical problems and can probably understand the problems most players encounter.
good point !!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. P said:
Yes true Jason but that doesn't mean he's not a champion coach and one of the best of all time.

Because he's taken a winning team, and won some games - great achievment (!)

If he were so good, how come he was so bad at Middlesex (or is that because he didn't have a world class team to start with?

I can think of at least 4 better coaches at International level (incidentally the 4 I can think of are all currently in charge of nations that aren't their own)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Because he's taken a winning team, and won some games - great achievment (!)

If he were so good, how come he was so bad at Middlesex (or is that because he didn't have a world class team to start with?

I can think of at least 4 better coaches at International level (incidentally the 4 I can think of are all currently in charge of nations that aren't their own)
Obviously having a good side helps.

But there is no way Australia would be at this point otherwise, or at least wouldn't be doing quite as well.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
There is an old saying:
Those who can't, teach !! :p

Just kidding though.. I agree with what Swervy said earlier..
And at present, John Wright and Dav Whatmore are certainly better coaches than Buchanan

BTW, John Wright was one of the NZ's best players in 80's ... Not World's best, but certainly an important member of NZ side with a lot of test experience..

So nothing to say good players can't be good coaches..

Last edited: