• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond - finished off for good?

Kent

State 12th Man
Below is an audio file (about 1 meg) that features an interview with Shane Bond.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/61015.wma (about 90 seconds in)

In it he describes what the plan is now, and although it sounds a bit like turning him from ex-cop to Robocop, he's optimistic about the procedure and his chances of a comeback.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nnanden said:
shiiiiiiiiiiite, i meant nz all time team of course. and thats just my personal opinion. not world XI, my bad.
That makes more sense and can defintiely be concurred with.

anzac

International Debutant
Richard said:
That's because doctored pitches are very rare - spin-friendly pitches don't happen as often as I'd like, either.
Myself, I always like to point-out the conditions in which wickets were taken - I believe them very important contexts.

I agree with your 2nd point, but as for the 1st.............SRL is traditionally a spin doctors dream, as is IND - not just some pitches but usually every pitch - only the last series v NZL was a bit of an abherration.........

I don't really consider those NZL pitches to have been doctored - unlike some examples not only seen in the sub-continent, but also that infamous shaved pitch in WI v AUS (even tho' it backfired on them)..............

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't think a pitch which is simply a dustbowl can be described as doctored.
As I said in another post, "doctored" implies illicit action.
There's nothing illicit about playing to your strengths. New Zealand did - India didn't. Result - New Zealand won a series, India didn't.
Sri Lankan wickets are typically spin-friendly - Sri Lanka's biggest strength is spin. Yes, it's a chicken-egg situation, but the reason it's continued has been such.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
look at it in context....no other fast bowler took more than 1 wicket in the entire match(that includes the all-mighty chaminda vaas). it was a placid wicket,with a little bit of turn for the spinners, 3 wickets on that wicket certainly doesnt show me that he couldnt bowl outside of seaming conditions.
Whatever the number of wickets, relative, none of it matters unless the wickets were taken with good deliveries.
Somehow I doubt they were, and if you say they were, sorry, I'm not going to automatically believe that.

Mingster

State Regular
NZ never wanted green-seamers. They wanted pace and bounce in their wicket, but just got it wrong. We didn't doctor our pitches.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming said his favourite Bond memory was the 6/25 against Aus in the World Cup & I would have to agree. On a flat deck that was an exceptional bowling performance.

Waughney

International Debutant
Tim said:
Fleming said his favourite Bond memory was the 6/25 against Aus in the World Cup & I would have to agree. On a flat deck that was an exceptional bowling performance.
I certainly wouldn't call it a flat track, it was pretty slow and only 320 runs were scored on it.
Bond did put on a great performance though.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i have the world cup dvd... i love watching bond bowl. he has a mad inswinger.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
NZ never wanted green-seamers. They wanted pace and bounce in their wicket, but just got it wrong. We didn't doctor our pitches.
If they didn't want green seamers but wanted pace and bounce with no seam they're wasting their strength.
Fortunately for them the groundsmen got it wrong so, far from doctoring the pitches, they played to their strengths after all.
And it worked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
A flat deck? Not if I remember rightly.
St. George's Park produced some of the best seamer's wickets in the whole tournament.
Good on them, too.
Not saying Bond needs seamer-friendly wickets to bowl well in ODIs, and nor am I saying he needed that one to take that six-for, but that pitch was a good bowlers' deck, not much doubt about that.

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
That ball he bowled to Ian Harvey remains one of my favourite balls I have seen. It was perfect.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
If they didn't want green seamers but wanted pace and bounce with no seam they're wasting their strength.
Fortunately for them the groundsmen got it wrong so, far from doctoring the pitches, they played to their strengths after all.
And it worked.
The whole point of encouraging pace and bounce in our pitches is to try and produce more bowlers who can work with that type of wicket and not rely on sideways movement. We want bowlers that can bowl cutting deliveries without assistance.

Having a "strength" of being good on green seamers isn't desirable, and NZC have acknowledged that by trying to change the playing conditions. As it is these days, we're seeing more and more flat tracks around the world, it only makes sense to try and develop bowlers that can take wickets on them.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Craig said:
That ball he bowled to Ian Harvey remains one of my favourite balls I have seen. It was perfect.
i liked hoggs lbw better. reverse swing. and harveys shot selection was crap!!

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
i liked hoggs lbw better. reverse swing. and harveys shot selection was crap!!
I've never been more happy than when he castled Gilchrist with a superb inswinging yorker in the VB series. Actually I think he's done that twice.
:huh:
EDIT: Come to think of it, seeing as Gilly's a left hander it was an OUTswinging yorker.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i think from all this we can only conclude that Bond has bowled many damn awesome deliveries and is a mad bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Whatever the number of wickets, relative, none of it matters unless the wickets were taken with good deliveries.
Somehow I doubt they were, and if you say they were, sorry, I'm not going to automatically believe that.
here are is a quote from the cricinfo match report....
"Having negotiated a testing spell from Shane Bond, New Zealand's most penetrative bowler Tillakaratne and Jayawardene settled down and were rarely troubled in the evening"

bond was the best fast bowler in the match....in fact the ball that he got jayasuriya bowled with was an excellent yorker.