• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AA for Middlesex

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
V Reddy said:
Well Mongia is piling on centuries while AA just can't pickup a wicket. Would Dinesh Mongia make it to the Indian team for the CT?
God I hope not!
How many times can someone fail and get more chances?
It's not as if he's doing anything he's not done before for Lancs.
He's played 48 ODIs, FCOL, and he's been about as bad as anyone who's played that number.
Except Ricardo Powell, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
the sole reason i even looked up those match reports was to prove to richard things that he claimed happened, but actually didnt
You are the one who states things didn't happen which did!
Bit rich of you to accuse me of something you do only too often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
im sure that looking at his performances on 2 placid wickets says a lot about how good a bowler he really is. yes perhaps hes been off colour in the last couple of tests, but for those who've seen him bowl for the last 6 months know that he definetly is a world class bowler and has bowled several wicket taking balls.
And because he's bowled well in 6 out of the previous 7 matches and very poorly in the two most recent ones - yes - it's the least recent ones that matter!
How does that work, then?
And what is the argument going to be if Harmison's taken 3 more wickets in the remaining 2 Tests - I'm perfectly well aware it hasn't happened yet, but just wondering...
no its not purely being accurate, otherwise there would be plenty of accurate 70 mph bowlers like ealham running wild in the test arena. its accuracy+penetration that counts and quite frankly vaas lacks that outside the sub continent.
I know perfectly well it's accuracy + penetration, but you seem not to. You and one or two others cling fiercely to the theorem than accuracy=pressure=poor-stroke, when it's totally untrue in First-Class-cricket where the scoring-rate doesn't matter.
And neither Ealham nor Vaas are 70mph bowlers, though Chaminda is now slower than Ealham.
there was movement i can assure you. both perera and fernando beat the bat on several occasions in that inning under the cloud cover. vaas looked innocuous in those same conditions against the same batting lineup while the rest of them picked up wickets. there will never be a case where all the wickets fall because of a good ball, as ive said on countless occasions before, most of the times good balls end up beating the bat rather than taking wickets. eventually the decent or semi decent ones are the ones that take the wickets due to a poor stroke.
A decent ball doesn't need a poor stroke to take a wicket; it might need a slightly faulty stroke, but only a poor ball needs a poor stroke to take a wicket and no matter how many times you've beaten the bat, no-one will ever deserve a Long-Hop slapped straight to cover!
So whatever happened with Charitha Buddhika and Perera beating the bat (and frankly I can't remember every little detail of that day) it doesn't change the fact that the wickets only happened because of either poor strokes or good deliveries that had nothing to do with the conditions.
well IMO it was not, and mr hoitink can say whatever he wants but it doesnt mean that hes right.
No, it doesn't, but if me and him agree on something it's far more likely that we're right than you!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And what is the argument going to be if Harmison's taken 3 more wickets in the remaining 2 Tests - I'm perfectly well aware it hasn't happened yet, but just wondering...

It'll depend on the state of the pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So the main reason most people argue that Harmison is exceptional is because he can supposedly do well on any wicket, pace apparently takes the pitch condition out of the equation.
I'll grant you I can't ever actually remember you saying that, though.
The pitches for this series haven't been overtly different to those at Lord's and Trent Bridge, and I don't expect will the next one to be, judging by Old Trafford this season and Tests over the last 3 years. And we've not seen much difference in wickets at The Oval since 1997. Albeit batsmen haven't batted for long enough on most occasions and, amazingly, only one game has ended in a draw.
I personally believe the help in the wickets for the first 3 Tests in West Indies was rather misunderstood because the batting, especially from the home side, was so spectacularly poor.
The number of RUDs were few.
But what you're saying, I gather, is that if the next two pitches are as I expect them to be then Harmison will be absolved of blame should he fail again?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
You are the one who states things didn't happen which did!
Bit rich of you to accuse me of something you do only too often.
yes which is why those match reports and commentators happen to agree with me instead of you.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
And because he's bowled well in 6 out of the previous 7 matches and very poorly in the two most recent ones - yes - it's the least recent ones that matter!
How does that work, then?
And what is the argument going to be if Harmison's taken 3 more wickets in the remaining 2 Tests - I'm perfectly well aware it hasn't happened yet, but just wondering...!
as marc said if the wickets continue to remain as flat as they have been i dont see any reason why he should be denounced for not taking enough wickets.....

Richard said:
I know perfectly well it's accuracy + penetration, but you seem not to. You and one or two others cling fiercely to the theorem than accuracy=pressure=poor-stroke, when it's totally untrue in First-Class-cricket where the scoring-rate doesn't matter.
And neither Ealham nor Vaas are 70mph bowlers, though Chaminda is now slower than Ealham.
where have i ever said anything like that? my point has always been that someone who is accurate without penetration is far more likely to get wickets than someone whos lacks both. and ealham most definetly does not bowl in the 80s....

Richard said:
A decent ball doesn't need a poor stroke to take a wicket; it might need a slightly faulty stroke, but only a poor ball needs a poor stroke to take a wicket and no matter how many times you've beaten the bat, no-one will ever deserve a Long-Hop slapped straight to cover!
So whatever happened with Charitha Buddhika and Perera beating the bat (and frankly I can't remember every little detail of that day) it doesn't change the fact that the wickets only happened because of either poor strokes or good deliveries that had nothing to do with the conditions.
and how many times do i have to say it.....if you dont beat the bat its highly unlikely that you will take wickets with decent balls. the number of good balls that you bowl in between the poor or ordinary balls is what eventually gets you wickets.....the fact is that vaas barely ever look like taking wickets in that series while both perera and buddhika did meant that they were more likely to get wickets off poor balls than vaas was.

Richard said:
No, it doesn't, but if me and him agree on something it's far more likely that we're right than you!
and in the same way when ravi shastri and me agreed on the fact that the motera wicket in that 2nd test against england was dead, we are far more likely to be right than you.....

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
as marc said if the wickets continue to remain as flat as they have been i dont see any reason why he should be denounced for not taking enough wickets.....

where have i ever said anything like that? my point has always been that someone who is accurate without penetration is far more likely to get wickets than someone whos lacks both. and ealham most definetly does not bowl in the 80s....

and how many times do i have to say it.....if you dont beat the bat its highly unlikely that you will take wickets with poor balls. the number of good balls that you bowl in between the poor or ordinary balls is what eventually gets you wickets.....the fact is that vaas barely ever look like taking wickets in that series while both perera and buddhika did meant that they were more likely to get wickets off poor balls than vaas was.

and in the same way when ravi shastri and me agreed on the fact that the motera wicket in that 2nd test against england was dead, we are far more likely to be right than you.....

and in the midst of all this comes the news that AA has finally struck some form and knocked over 3. hopefully he'll continue in this vein though whether its deemed good enuf for a recall remains to be seen.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yes which is why those match reports and commentators happen to agree with me instead of you.....
Yes, and of course all the scorebooks and footage of matches agree with you that Ealham never bowled at the death and hardly ever bowled in the first 15 overs; or that conditions at Lord's in 2002 were utilised by the Sri Lankan bowlers to dismiss English batsmen; or several other things that you have stated happened differently to how they did!
I remember that Trescothick dismissal clear as day, it had nothing to do with seam, swing or slope, I remember very clearly watching it 7 or 8 times and thinking "yet again, playing inside the line".
So it doesn't matter whether you want to make it look like there was something in the conditions or whether the CricInfo reporter wanted to attach some credit to Zoysa (who by and large bowled woefully below his best on that tour), my memory is simply too good for either of you!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
viktor said:
and in the midst of all this comes the news that AA has finally struck some form and knocked over 3. hopefully he'll continue in this vein though whether its deemed good enuf for a recall remains to be seen.....
Last I looked his ER was still over 3.5 and the average still in the 40s. :(
It just needs something like 27-x-61-7, that'd go nicely.
Followed-up, ideally, by 9-0-17-5.
(x = insert number 1-10)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
The wickets have in fact been less flat than they were in the New Zealand series, and more quickly becoming uneven.
The fact is, Harmison got the poor strokes against New Zealand and thus far this series, he hasn't.
Just yet another example of people's selective, convenience-guided memory.
Well yet again that shows how closely you watch! Ealham has always got the odd ball up to 81-2mph, still does nowadays too, and his average is 78-9.
And that Lord's Test there has been so much referance to is clearly an anomaly in that trend, given that Perera, Nuwan and Fernando all sprayed it all over everywhere, Chaminda didn't - and he got least wickets.
I've never actually denied that accuracy without penetration is better than neither, no-one who actually thinks about it will, but accuracy alone won't get decent batsmen out, they'll just grind along at 2.3-2.5-an-over.
and how many times do i have to say it.....if you dont beat the bat its highly unlikely that you will take wickets with decent balls. the number of good balls that you bowl in between the poor or ordinary balls is what eventually gets you wickets.....the fact is that vaas barely ever look like taking wickets in that series while both perera and buddhika did meant that they were more likely to get wickets off poor balls than vaas was.
Yes, and that doesn't say anything about their ability - getting wickets with poor deliveries (which stopped, dramatically, after that Lord's first-innings) never does.
If Chaminda got more wickets when bowling poorly his average would be considerably lower than it is.
No matter how many good or bad balls you bowl, unless you bowl good balls that take wickets (ie become wicket-taking balls) you don't deserve any credit for any wickets against your name.
No, not so.
If Ravi indeed said that (can't actually remember the comment) he clearly hadn't watched any closer than you.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Yes, and of course all the scorebooks and footage of matches agree with you that Ealham never bowled at the death and hardly ever bowled in the first 15 overs; or that conditions at Lord's in 2002 were utilised by the Sri Lankan bowlers to dismiss English batsmen; or several other things that you have stated happened differently to how they did!
I remember that Trescothick dismissal clear as day, it had nothing to do with seam, swing or slope, I remember very clearly watching it 7 or 8 times and thinking "yet again, playing inside the line".
So it doesn't matter whether you want to make it look like there was something in the conditions or whether the CricInfo reporter wanted to attach some credit to Zoysa (who by and large bowled woefully below his best on that tour), my memory is simply too good for either of you!
yes of course everyone else that watched the match happened to be incompetent except you....the fact that ravi shastri(who knows much more about cricket than you will ever know) and me agreed that the motera wicket was dead flat would mean something and the fact that a cricinfo reporter and i happened to agree that trescothicks wicket was due to the slope rather than a poor shot would say something as well. yes zoysa was woeful in that series but just because he bowled a decent ball to get a wicket in that series and just because you dont like him it doesnt mean that he didnt deserve that wicket!

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
The wickets have in fact been less flat than they were in the New Zealand series, and more quickly becoming uneven.
The fact is, Harmison got the poor strokes against New Zealand and thus far this series, he hasn't.
Just yet another example of people's selective, convenience-guided memory..
yes of course the headingly wicket was so flat that some people thought it was a minefield.....i'll give you that harmison didnt bowl well at lords, but he bowled brilliantly at headingly and again at trent bridge.

Richard said:
Well yet again that shows how closely you watch! Ealham has always got the odd ball up to 81-2mph, still does nowadays too, and his average is 78-9...
rubbish ealham's average speed was around 75-76 and how many times do i have to say it....just because he bowled 1 or 2 balls at 80 mph it doesnt make him an 80 mph bowler!!

And that Lord's Test there has been so much referance to is clearly an anomaly in that trend, given that Perera, Nuwan and Fernando all sprayed it all over everywhere, Chaminda didn't - and he got least wickets....[/QUOTE]

and this coming from someone who accuses me of not watching closely...both perera and fernando were accurate and they had something else that vaas lacked which was penetration. perhaps they were not as accurate as vaas but they were definetly not spraying all over the place!

Richard said:
I've never actually denied that accuracy without penetration is better than neither, no-one who actually thinks about it will, but accuracy alone won't get decent batsmen out, they'll just grind along at 2.3-2.5-an-over.
no but if someone bowls the right line and length he can get good players out but it doesnt not guarantee that he will.

Richard said:
Yes, and that doesn't say anything about their ability - getting wickets with poor deliveries (which stopped, dramatically, after that Lord's first-innings) never does.
If Chaminda got more wickets when bowling poorly his average would be considerably lower than it is.
do you not read?i said the number of good balls that you bowl in between the decent or poor balls determines how many wickets you get with those poor balls. the fact is that chaminda vaas bowled only decent deliveries on that tour while both fernando and perera bowled several good balls in that first test match!

No matter how many good or bad balls you bowl, unless you bowl good balls that take wickets (ie become wicket-taking balls) you don't deserve any credit for any wickets against your name.

Richard said:
No, not so.
If Ravi indeed said that (can't actually remember the comment) he clearly hadn't watched any closer than you.
this is total garbage.....it seems that you are only trying to assist your argument by making up things that didnt happen and then accusing an expert of not watching the game closely. ive watched that series enough times and i can assure you that the motera wicket was dead. its obvious that i have won this argument.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yes of course everyone else that watched the match happened to be incompetent except you....the fact that ravi shastri(who knows much more about cricket than you will ever know) and me agreed that the motera wicket was dead flat would mean something and the fact that a cricinfo reporter and i happened to agree that trescothicks wicket was due to the slope rather than a poor shot would say something as well. yes zoysa was woeful in that series but just because he bowled a decent ball to get a wicket in that series and just because you dont like him it doesnt mean that he didnt deserve that wicket!
Well here's another example of how much you know, and how much assumptions can get you into trouble.
I very much do rate Zoysa, I think he could be an excellent bowler.
You are wrong, the CricInfo reporter was wrong (as CricInfo and even Wisden reporters sometimes are) that Trescothick's dismissal in the first-innings at Lord's was due to helpful conditions. It was due to a poor shot.
Ravi Shastri most certainly does not know more about cricket than I will ever know - when I'm his age I can almost certainly say I'll know as much as he does. But to compare a 19-year-old to a 40-odd-year-old is totally unfair.
And whatever he knows that I don't, it doesn't make him any more likely to have got right the analysis of that Motera wicket.
It helped the fingerspinners, fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yes of course the headingly wicket was so flat that some people thought it was a minefield.....i'll give you that harmison didnt bowl well at lords, but he bowled brilliantly at headingly and again at trent bridge.
Bowling well at Headingley wasn't that much of an achievement, because the wicket was so seamer-friendly. Not that he bowled many wicket-taking balls. And the wickets at Trent Bridge and Lord's v New Zealand stayed flat and even far longer than those for these last two have.
rubbish ealham's average speed was around 75-76 and how many times do i have to say it....just because he bowled 1 or 2 balls at 80 mph it doesnt make him an 80 mph bowler!!
I'm afraid, just like the cases of when Ealham bowled, you clearly haven't watched closely enough. Ealham rarely bowls a ball below 75 and most of the time he is around 77-8, his speed is even more consistent than his accuracy. And he also bowls more than 1 or 2 balls over 80; usually about 9 or 10 in a 9 or 10 over spell.
and this coming from someone who accuses me of not watching closely...both perera and fernando were accurate and they had something else that vaas lacked which was penetration. perhaps they were not as accurate as vaas but they were definetly not spraying all over the place!
So that's why they went for 4.36 and 3.77-an-over in the innings respectively, then? That is spraying the ball all over the place, believe me. Their wickets came mainly from tail-end jabs, top-edged pulls and weaknesses against slower-balls - not through penetrative bowling.
no but if someone bowls the right line and length he can get good players out but it doesnt not guarantee that he will.
Yes, and equally if someone sprays the ball all over the place he can get good players out.
It is whether you do get them out, with good balls, that counts.
do you not read?i said the number of good balls that you bowl in between the decent or poor balls determines how many wickets you get with those poor balls. the fact is that chaminda vaas bowled only decent deliveries on that tour while both fernando and perera bowled several good balls in that first test match!
No, Fernando bowled 2 good balls, to Flintoff and Cork, which both could still have left.
Neither are very good bowlers and it was no surprise to me what rubbish they bowled throughout the tour, including that first-innings.
this is total garbage.....it seems that you are only trying to assist your argument by making up things that didnt happen and then accusing an expert of not watching the game closely. ive watched that series enough times and i can assure you that the motera wicket was dead. its obvious that i have won this argument.
Yes, of course, it's obvious - because you say you have.
Like it or not, the ball turned sharply, lots, on that wicket and Giles and Kumble exploited that in the first-innings. Harbhajan exploited it with the aid of England's need to up the scoring-rate in the second.
I can't make you see that so it's best we leave this one here, I think.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Last I looked his ER was still over 3.5 and the average still in the 40s. :(
It just needs something like 27-x-61-7, that'd go nicely.
Followed-up, ideally, by 9-0-17-5.
(x = insert number 1-10)
well, 29-7-81-5.... almost there Richard.. may be he'll have 9-0-7-7 in the second and a century in this innings ...
isn't there a symbol for crossing ur fingers????

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Bowling well at Headingley wasn't that much of an achievement, because the wicket was so seamer-friendly.
so seamer friendly that both sides scored more than 350 in their first innings?

Richard said:
Not that he bowled many wicket-taking balls..
and how many times do i have to say it? he bowled several good balls that might have been wicket taking if the players were good enough to edge it....

Richard said:
And the wickets at Trent Bridge and Lord's v New Zealand stayed flat and even far longer than those for these last two have.
and yet he bowled brilliantly at trent bridge.....

Richard said:
I'm afraid, just like the cases of when Ealham bowled, you clearly haven't watched closely enough. Ealham rarely bowls a ball below 75 and most of the time he is around 77-8, his speed is even more consistent than his accuracy. And he also bowls more than 1 or 2 balls over 80; usually about 9 or 10 in a 9 or 10 over spell.
have i said that he did bowl under 75 mph? i said he bowls 75-76 and you seemed to have lowered his speed from 78-79 to 77-78.whatever way you look at it it does not make him an 80 mph bowler.....

Richard said:
So that's why they went for 4.36 and 3.77-an-over in the innings respectively, then? That is spraying the ball all over the place, believe me. Their wickets came mainly from tail-end jabs, top-edged pulls and weaknesses against slower-balls - not through penetrative bowling..
so what?when hoggard took his 5fer in the 2nd test he went at 4 runs an over but does that mean he was wayward? i never claimed that they were accurate, but they were far from wayward and they did bowl several good balls in those conditions which ended up being edged or miscued for four

Richard said:
Yes, and equally if someone sprays the ball all over the place he can get good players out.
no he cannot....because if you bowl 4 four balls in an over the batsmans hardly going to try to smash everyone of them out of the park. but if you bowl 1 four ball every 2 overs the batsman will desperately try to score off you and in the attempt might play a poor shot.

Richard said:
It is whether you do get them out, with good balls, that counts.
no it depends on the build up to the ball that eventually takes a wicket that counts.....

Richard said:
No, Fernando bowled 2 good balls, to Flintoff and Cork, which both could still have left.
Neither are very good bowlers and it was no surprise to me what rubbish they bowled throughout the tour, including that first-innings.
well then you didnt watch much of that first test match then......

Richard said:
Yes, of course, it's obvious - because you say you have.
Like it or not, the ball turned sharply, lots, on that wicket and Giles and Kumble exploited that in the first-innings. Harbhajan exploited it with the aid of England's need to up the scoring-rate in the second.
I can't make you see that so it's best we leave this one here, I think.
no its not just obvious because i said it but its obvious because ravi shastri and virtually every other commentator agreed with me on that one. if it was such a turner then england wouldnt have come anywhere as close as 407 in the first innings i can assure you....

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Well here's another example of how much you know, and how much assumptions can get you into trouble.
I very much do rate Zoysa, I think he could be an excellent bowler.
why does that not surprise me considering how highly you rate vaas?

Richard said:
You are wrong, the CricInfo reporter was wrong (as CricInfo and even Wisden reporters sometimes are) that Trescothick's dismissal in the first-innings at Lord's was due to helpful conditions. It was due to a poor shot.
the chances of the cricinfo reporter being wrong is about 10% and the fact that i happen to share the same opinion as the reporter makes the chances of the both of us being wrong very minute indeed.

Richard said:
Ravi Shastri most certainly does not know more about cricket than I will ever know - when I'm his age I can almost certainly say I'll know as much as he does. But to compare a 19-year-old to a 40-odd-year-old is totally unfair.
well the way you are heading you wont get anywhere near him.....

Richard said:
And whatever he knows that I don't, it doesn't make him any more likely to have got right the analysis of that Motera wicket.
It helped the fingerspinners, fact.
how can it possibly be a fact when noone agrees with you....the motera wicket was dead,im certain about it and the only turn that was on offer was 'slow turn' which doesnt make any bowler lethal.