• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best English Openers

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
England has been famous for its quality openers for long. The list is unending - Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Ikin, Hutton ...

This is to decide the best English opener ever - though I may have missed a few names eg. Atherton etc.

Jack Hobbs

Herbert Sutcliffe

Len Hutton

Geoff Boycott

Michael Vaughan

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
These are my choices. if there is anybody I missed please let me know.
- Jack Hobbs - The 2nd world-class batsman from English soil after W.G. Grace. Hobbs was always inclined to positive, attacking strokeplay. The best batsman in the world, "The Master", before a run-machine called Don Bradman arrived on world stage. In his later years, Hobbs blossomed into a classic, scoring countless more runs in graceful fashion.

- Len Hutton - Regarded by critics as the best English post-war batsman. Hutton was a supreme technician when at the crease with a willow in his hands. He ranked among the best batsmen of his era, arguably among batsmen of all times. He was also the first professional captain of England and an astute one at that. He never lost a series as a captain and his batting was often the reason.

- Geoff Boycott - The saviour of England on many an occasion. Boycott's primary objective was to make his team's position secure by scoring heavily (though slowly). Because of this England lost only 20 of the 108 Tests Boycott played in. Not regarded highly by his opponents (especially the people Down Under), he contributed a lot to England through his dour ways at the crease and could be relied in crisis.

- Michael Vaughan - The latest sensation in English cricket. He began as a defensive middle-order bat but as he graduated to the opening slot he revelled in his attacking strokeplay. At the moment he is the best batsman in the English side. Daring and authoritative in his strokemaking, as an opener he has scored 7 centuries in the last 12 Tests, taking his tally to 8 in 28 odd (am I right?). If he continues in the same vein he may as well figure in the list of all-time batting greats.

I missed out Herbert Sutcliffe because what I know of him is not much. But plain statistics suggest that he was a great performer. - a Test average of greater than 60.73 till his last Test. - scorer of 19 centuries in 54 Tests with only 2 ducks. - member of the greatest opening duo of all time (with Jack Hobbs).

Wow! He must have been a terrific bat. I have read that he was circumspect and careful. But, was he like Atherton? In the home series against the West Indies (in 1999?), when Atherton scored some runs, the cricket correspondent Ted Corbett wrote: "Athers blended solid defense with awkward shots, reminding grey beards of Herbert Sutcliffe ... Sutcliffe would have been proud of Athers today." Anyway, an average of 37 odd doesn't compare well with an average of 60 and above. I'm eagerly awaiting any articles or links to Sutcliffe's profile and the innings he played. Can anyone help me?

Langeveldt

Soutie
In my lifetime, Michael Vaughan.. Its very early days, but I think Strauss will be even better..

Jack Hobbs was the best English opener of all time...

pskov

International 12th Man
Graham Gooch? 8900 runs (most by any Englishman) @ 42.58, including 20 centuries and a high score of 333. Always aggressive and looking to play shots, he was a fine strokeplayer. Career only really blighted by a poor reign as captain (never counts against SRT though :p).

I'm not saying he is better than Hobbs or Hutton, but at the moment he is certainly ahead of Vaughan and I would choose him before Boycott (too slow a scorer and far to selfish at the crease).

PommieMacGill

State Regular
pskov said:
I'm not saying he is better than Hobbs or Hutton, but at the moment he is certainly ahead of Vaughan and I would choose him before Boycott (too slow a scorer and far to selfish at the crease).
A Batsmen being selfish? Surely that's what you'd want in any batsmen? The ability to get as many runs as possible and bat for themselves, especially for an Opening Batsmen.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Jack Hobbs was definitley the best, Test and First Class.

Herbet Sutcliffe was known for his strong defence and high concentration. but if it was needed he could hit out. An innings of 113 against Kent on a sticky Wicket included 10 6's. He also took his score from 100 to 194 in 40 minutes in another county game.

Last edited:

Piper

International Captain
In my opinion Englands best opener was Geoff Boycott he made wasn't it 110 first class hundreds?

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Yeah, i think Boycott would be one of the greatest English openers ever, along with Jack Hobbs.

Of recent years I think Graham Gooch would be mine, Vaughan's nowhere near him at the moment.

tooextracool

International Coach
Waughney said:
Recent: Vaughan
vaughan has just had one good year so to put him up there amongst the best when he hasnt been delivering for 1.5 years would be inane. besides pushing him down to no 4 is supposed to be a career move so he wouldnt classify as an opener anymore anyways.

pskov

International 12th Man
PommieMacGill said:
A Batsmen being selfish? Surely that's what you'd want in any batsmen? The ability to get as many runs as possible and bat for themselves, especially for an Opening Batsmen.
I would say that there is a vast difference between good selfishness (trying to score as many runs for yourself as possible) and over the top selfishness (running teammates out, going at 10 runs an hour on a decent pitch simply because you don't want to lose your wicket).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
of the english openers i have seen, graham gooch is clearly the best, imo better than boycott and miles ahead of vaughan. not having seen hobbs, sutcliffe and hutton, i don't know enough to judge them, but their records are extremely impressive.....

a massive zebra

International Captain
Hobbs is without doubt the best and would open with Hutton in my all-time England team. Sutcliffe and Boycott deserve honourable mention and would open for the second team. Vaughan is not there yet. Gooch and John Edrich should be placed above him at the moment.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
I missed out Herbert Sutcliffe because what I know of him is not much. But plain statistics suggest that he was a great performer. - a Test average of greater than 60.73 till his last Test. - scorer of 19 centuries in 54 Tests with only 2 ducks. - member of the greatest opening duo of all time (with Jack Hobbs).

Wow! He must have been a terrific bat. I have read that he was circumspect and careful. But, was he like Atherton? In the home series against the West Indies (in 1999?), when Atherton scored some runs, the cricket correspondent Ted Corbett wrote: "Athers blended solid defense with awkward shots, reminding grey beards of Herbert Sutcliffe ... Sutcliffe would have been proud of Athers today." Anyway, an average of 37 odd doesn't compare well with an average of 60 and above. I'm eagerly awaiting any articles or links to Sutcliffe's profile and the innings he played. Can anyone help me?
Cricinfo profile

Swervy

International Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
- Geoff Boycott - The saviour of England on many an occasion. Boycott's primary objective was to make his team's position secure by scoring heavily (though slowly). Because of this England lost only 20 of the 108 Tests Boycott played in. Not regarded highly by his opponents (especially the people Down Under), he contributed a lot to England through his dour ways at the crease and could be relied in crisis.
Boycotts primary objective wasnt to make his teams position secure, it was to occupy the crease as long as possible for his own sake...the man was far from being a team player,and really only thought about his own acheivments.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
Boycotts primary objective wasnt to make his teams position secure, it was to occupy the crease as long as possible for his own sake...the man was far from being a team player,and really only thought about his own acheivments.
That's the simplistic view, but the truth is, I think, a bit more complex than that.

Boycott had a fairly low opinion of a lot of his team-mates, and in the teams he played in the 1970s, he was largely right - especially when you consider the 60s Yorkshire and England teams which were both far, far better.

When he exiled himself from Test cricket to captain Yorks full-time, there was an immediate upturrn: he averaged 100+ for the season and Yorkshire narrowly failed to recapture the championship, the improvement which was necessary after finishing in the bottom half the previous season.

It rapidly became his view that the success of any team he was in depended entirely on his own success, and that as long as he succeeded, the team had a chance, but if he failed, they had none.

If he was not captain, then if the captain's view of tactics and strategy was different to Boycott's, then it was wrong (in his view), and he just played the way the captain ought to have told him to play in the first place.

In actual fact, Boycott was wrong more often than the captain.

Boycott is a very selfish man, and has always looked after number one. He is also pretty plain-spoken and has put most of his colleagues' backs up in one way or another, usually by delivering his unfavourable opinion of their abilities. And he certainly knew the value of pursuing useful personal statistics in games which were moribund.

But it is also true that his reputation for selfishness rose when he carried on being the kind of opening batsman England were happy with when their middle order consisted of people like Cowdrey, Dexter and Graveney instead of the more forceful batsman he might have been expected to be as a senior player ahead of a middle order featuring the rather less appealing prospects of Mike Denness and Frank Hayes, or for a Yorkshire which no longer had Bob Barber, Brian Close and Phil Sharpe, nor any bowlers to replace Trueman, Nicholson and Illingworth.

He didn't think *only* about his own acheivements. But what he did think about was not necessarily what other people wanted him to think about.

A number of the same criticisms can be levelled at Hutton. Denis Compton certainly did: great batsman though he knew Len to be, he was continually disappointed that Hutton so ruthlessly restrained himself. It was his opinion that had Hutton played as enterprisingly as Denis knew he could when he put his mind to it, he would have outshone Bradman, and that it was a tragedy that he didn't.

And from the comments above in this thread, it seems a lot of people have the same opinion of Sutcliffe, which does not adequately explain why he was regarded as the finest hooker in the world at the time, nor why he was the one who set the pace in the Hobbs/Sutcliffe partnerships.

Hobbs is the obvious write-down name, but I'm not sure that Hutton would be his best possible partner. It's unfortunate that Test cricket started so late, because the Test stats rather obscure the likelihood that the best partner for Hobbs would have been that supreme attacking opening batsman, the WG Grace of 1874-79.

Cheers,

Mike

Langeveldt

Soutie
Personally I admire boycotts approach.. If one is very concerned about looking after themselves, and scoring runs for themselves, the team usually prosper anyway....
Defensive, crease occupying isnt necessarily selfish stuff...

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
And from the comments above in this thread, it seems a lot of people have the same opinion of Sutcliffe, which does not adequately explain why he was regarded as the finest hooker in the world at the time, nor why he was the one who set the pace in the Hobbs/Sutcliffe partnerships.
More rubbish from Badgerhair as usual. Sutcliffe was well known for being a classically correct anchor in a similar mould to Boycott, and far from setting the pace in his partnerships with Hobbs, his Test strike rate (40) was far lower than Hobbs (57), and even lower than Boycott's (41). Infact it is in the bottom 10th percentile of all players with over 2000 Test runs. Sutcliffe was without question the slowest top class batsman of his day - a fact which is well known and can easily be proven statistically.

Last edited: