Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuvraj Singh and Andy Symonds

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pskov
    As for Pietersen, well Collingwood is clearly ahead of him at the moment ad if Key keeps playing this well and impresses in the NatWest series, then those two are obvious candidates to replace Thorpe and Butcher. Where that leaves Pietersen, I don't know. Nice problem for England to have though (for once).
    Who wants to replace Thorpe and Butcher? Not me, that's for certain. They're two of the best players in this country. One iffy series doesn't make Butcher a bad player. Nor are either him or Thorpe seeing retirement on the horizon; I'm perfectly confident both have at the very least 3 decent years in them, Butcher maybe 5 or 6.
    Key, meanwhile, is an opener and we seem pretty well equipped with them ATM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I just cannot see how someone averaging in the mid-20s in Test-cricket is part of an ideal opening pair.
    I just can't.
    No matter how much his opening partner likes him.
    And no matter that they work superbly as a partnership either?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    I just cannot see how someone averaging in the mid-20s in Test-cricket is part of an ideal opening pair.
    I just can't.
    No matter how much his opening partner likes him.
    so you'd rather have 2 makeshift openers then,both of whom are aggressive?
    i dont see this working in the long term.....it might work in india but when they do go abroad it might just end up being a problem.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by pskov
    As for Pietersen, well Collingwood is clearly ahead of him at the moment
    based on recent performances id think pieterson is ahead of collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    And no matter that they work superbly as a partnership either?
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    so you'd rather have 2 makeshift openers then,both of whom are aggressive?
    i dont see this working in the long term.....it might work in india but when they do go abroad it might just end up being a problem.
    First directly and second indirectly, it is implied that Chopra "works", ie is a successful Test-match batsman.
    He isn't!!!

Hexxagon Champion!
    First directly and second indirectly, it is implied that Chopra "works", ie is a successful Test-match batsman.
    He isn't!!!

congratulations on being the first on these forums to think so.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Tell me, how is someone who has an average in the mid-20s a successful Test-match batsman?

Hexxagon Champion!
    Tell me, how is someone who has an average in the mid-20s a successful Test-match batsman?

He takes the shine off the new ball very effectively and has played what 2 series ?

Dont go by that average after just 2 series.

He isn't!!!
    so 4 partnerships of more than 100( 2 of them being more than 150) and 3 50 partnerships dont count then? surely you got to open your eyes and look at the number of balls chopra bats for,especially considering,the player at the other end is so very aggressive and more often than not is going to make up for that. some credit of india's recent success should be put down to his abilities to blunt the new ball and make life easier for their middle order.and thats not even including the fact that sehwag likes to bat with him or the fact that akash chopra happens to be the best forward short leg in the world ATM.....
    Last edited by tooextracool; 01-07-2004 at 05:52 AM.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    there is no way yuvraj shouldnt be opening at the mo... chopra is not a match winner, full stop. yuvrajs talent shouldnt be neglected cause some guy can block half the time.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

3 series, which contained the same thing exactly - some 40s seeing-off the new-ball then getting-out to nothing strokes, and some single-figure scores.
    All series played on very nice batting pitches against nothing attacks, where all his team-mates cashed-in (eventually).

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    sorry bro... chopra doesnt impress me, nor the majority of people i believe

where all his team-mates cashed-in (eventually).
    and did it occur to you that the reason as to why they cashed in comes down largely due to the openers blunting out the new ball?

although his statistics are rather impressive, im just wondering if theres anyone out there who has actually seen (on tv, but preferably live) chopra batting? does he block normally in fc matches, or is this just an international thing? and what about in ods?? he cant really get a strike-rate of 35 in em... can HE?

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    so 4 partnerships of more than 100( 2 of them being more than 150) and 3 50 partnerships dont count then? surely you got to open your eyes and look at the number of balls chopra bats for,especially considering,the player at the other end is so very aggressive and more often than not is going to make up for that. some credit of india's recent success should be put down to his abilities to blunt the new ball and make life easier for their middle order.and thats not even including the fact that sehwag likes to bat with him or the fact that akash chopra happens to be the best forward short leg in the world ATM.....
    Best forward-short-leg in The World, I don't think so. Andrew Strauss and Katich are pretty good. Anyway, that position's just a waste of a fielder except on turning pitches against spinners.
    And so what about the number of balls he bats for, or how much Sehwag likes him, or how well Sehwag bats when with him? - the point of batting is to score runs, and you've got to score them at an average of close to 40 to merit a place in a Test-side nowadays. Yes, sure, his part in the Australia series success should not be underestimated, he made a big contribution - but still, his average is simply not good enough; if it were, there would be no questions asked about his place.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information