• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 3 tours of your country-you long for

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
As funny as that is ( 8-) ), the memories of India's last tour here are even funnier. 2-1 was it?
Well seriously, you make a valid point but I think replacing Carl Hooper with Lara makes a big difference to the Windies. I know Lara's fans will be up in arms but it is as true for Lara as it was for Sachin and this is no reflection on their calibers as cricketers nor their standing as students of the game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS said:
Well seriously, you make a valid point but I think replacing Carl Hooper with Lara makes a big difference to the Windies. I know Lara's fans will be up in arms but it is as true for Lara as it was for Sachin and this is no reflection on their calibers as cricketers nor their standing as students of the game.
So you rate Hooper's ultra-defensive captaincy?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
In case Norway for some insane reason got Test status:

1) England - to see Harmison beat Laker's record
2) Bangladesh - so that they could win their first Test
3) Australia - so that 26 all out could be wiped off the lists
Anything to get Norway into the record books...

Langeveldt

Soutie
England v SA - Ive seen two SA tours in England.. The first was the whole reason I am into cricket, the second wasnt bad either. (2-2)

India v SA - Always interesting to go to India

SA v Aus - Except the last series could hardly be called a contest.. :(

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
As against Lara's do-it-all-by-myself non-captaincy ....yes.

Hooper was no great captain but I feel he could get more out of a mediocre side than Lara can.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
hooper was a better captain than lara though, although the team then was perhaps worse than the team now,particularly in the bowling department....

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
hooper was a better captain than lara though
I wouldn't say that. Hooper was far too defensive. If Lara does nothing else, he tries to make things happen instead of just letting things happen and hoping they benefit your team.

Craig

World Traveller
Who ever is in charge of the WI should aim to get the team to play together and explain that when they walk out onto the field for a Test or ODI, that they are West Indians representing the whole of the Caribbean (if you count Cuba and Hati - I mean cricket)), not Jamiacans, Bajan, Guyanese etc. and to play as a team.

That is the first step.

Something Frank Worrell was able to do successfully.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I wouldn't say that. Hooper was far too defensive. If Lara does nothing else, he tries to make things happen instead of just letting things happen and hoping they benefit your team.
what about team unity etc?IMO WI played more as a team under hooper than they do now.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
what about team unity etc?IMO WI played more as a team under hooper than they do now.....
West Indies had the team spirit under Hooper at times. Just like under Adams and initially under Lara. IMO Adams is the best captain of the lot who was ruined as a cricketer by a very bad team.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
Well telling Ramnarine - the WI numero uno spinner at the time he had no chance of Tests while Hooper was still captain doesn't help.

Then they go and pick rubbish like Mahendra Nagamootoo and Neil McGarrell was hardly anything special.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
West Indies had the team spirit under Hooper at times. Just like under Adams and initially under Lara. IMO Adams is the best captain of the lot who was ruined as a cricketer by a very bad team.
he was also the luckiest captain around.....how he managed those victories against pakistan and zimbabwe i'll never know.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Well telling Ramnarine - the WI numero uno spinner at the time he had no chance of Tests while Hooper was still captain doesn't help.

Then they go and pick rubbish like Mahendra Nagamootoo and Neil McGarrell was hardly anything special.
well that can be equated with picking sanford.......

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
he was also the luckiest captain around.....how he managed those victories against pakistan and zimbabwe i'll never know.....
Er, he inspired the team. The WI looked more spirited than ever in recent years in that period.

1st Test v Zimbabwe
Fantastic comeback by WI, lead by Franklyn Rose and Curtly Ambrose.

2nd Test v Zimbabwe
Brilliant captain's century from Adams and a fine effort from Rose too.

3rd Test v Pakistan
A couple of dodgy umpiring decisions, but the Pakistanis practically gave it away with a couple of missed run outs - the easiest runouts you'll ever see. Adams stuch to his task to the end and got 48 not out.

1st Test v England
The West Indies played like a team and obliterated the Englishmen.

In fact, Adams had them playing well until the 2nd innings of the Lord's Test.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
well that can be equated with picking sanford.......
1/ Nagamootoo = Sanford IMO.

2/ Lara never picked Sanford. The selection panel picked Sanford. That said, the selection panel also picked Nagas and McGarrell.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1st Test v Zimbabwe
Fantastic comeback by WI, lead by Franklyn Rose and Curtly Ambrose.

2nd Test v Zimbabwe
Brilliant captain's century from Adams and a fine effort from Rose too.

3rd Test v Pakistan
A couple of dodgy umpiring decisions, but the Pakistanis practically gave it away with a couple of missed run outs - the easiest runouts you'll ever see. Adams stuch to his task to the end and got 48 not out.

1st Test v England
The West Indies played like a team and obliterated the Englishmen.

In fact, Adams had them playing well until the 2nd innings of the Lord's Test.
yes but 2 of those tests should really have gone the other way.....
the first one against zimbabwe should have been won by zim. all respect for the bowling, zimbabwe should have got to 100 but they completely choked under a little bit of pressure or perhaps because they were on the verge of the unthinkable.
the one against pakistan, well the umpiring decisions, the run out that even a school kid would have got and walsh strangely batting for 20 balls and it could so easily have been a series loss.
im not disputing whether or not adams was a better captain but i just think that he was plenty lucky to have come out with those 2 series victories....

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
yes but 2 of those tests should really have gone the other way.....
the first one against zimbabwe should have been won by zim. all respect for the bowling, zimbabwe should have got to 100 but they completely choked under a little bit of pressure or perhaps because they were on the verge of the unthinkable.
the one against pakistan, well the umpiring decisions, the run out that even a school kid would have got and walsh strangely batting for 20 balls and it could so easily have been a series loss.
im not disputing whether or not adams was a better captain but i just think that he was plenty lucky to have come out with those 2 series victories....
Zimbabwe were outdone by high quality fast bowling! The West Indies bowled well enough that they deserved to win.

Pakistan blew their shot at winning that Test, but Adams batted with grit.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
"wayne rooney=zlatan ibrahimovic = god
The Master Of The Tiebreak Goran Ivanisevic Is Back!!.........oh and so is the lesbo"

woohoo!! i like it

both of em are in the 2nd round. i cant beleive she still has it in her