• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What has been the worst moment in ur country's cricket history?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The boys didn't have my support back then.

For the record (for all the newbies on CW), I don't do any drugs and have never touched even a cigarette in my life. I only drink alcohol extremely rarely and am an avid student of Biology. Don't believe the ginger propaganda.
Nice disclaimer....

Isnt that the decent thing to do in the carribean? sample some of the home grown???

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
For the record (for all the newbies on CW), I don't do any drugs and have never touched even a cigarette in my life. I only drink alcohol extremely rarely and am an avid student of Biology.
For the record....

I have, er, indulged in one or more of the above vices (Biology - wooaghhh, makes sign of horizontal arm with clenched fist, other hand locked in crook of arm, forearm raised to form right-angle) but I HAVE given up cigarettes because smoking is pretty lame, and I'm pretty smug about that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
For the record....

I have, er, indulged in one or more of the above vices (Biology - wooaghhh, makes sign of horizontal arm with clenched fist, other hand locked in crook of arm, forearm raised to form right-angle) but I HAVE given up cigarettes because smoking is pretty lame, and I'm pretty smug about that.
Good on you. May you live long(er) for it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Nice disclaimer....

Isnt that the decent thing to do in the carribean? sample some of the home grown???
Lenny Henry always used to say something like..... "Hey Winston, here comes your uncle Deacos. Hide de rum an' hunpack de dominors' - and that's where I get all my in-depth knowledge of the Caribbean from. A single C90 audio tape.

Craig

World Traveller
Australia v New Zealand at the MCG when NZ had Australia 6/80 and they won when I was certain they (NZ) would win.

And when Shane Bond ripped Australia's middle order to pieces in PE, and then Brett Lee to a similar thing as if to say "what you can do, I can do better" And Australia won.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
Australia v New Zealand at the MCG when NZ had Australia 6/80 and they won when I was certain they (NZ) would win.

And when Shane Bond ripped Australia's middle order to pieces in PE, and then Brett Lee to a similar thing as if to say "what you can do, I can do better" And Australia won.

And how is that your countrys worst cricketing :huh: moment ?

Craig

World Traveller
Well the worst from what I have seen.

I guess being out for 26 would be it, and suffering a collapse of 9-20 v Pakistan at Auckland in 2001 from would rank up there.

V Reddy

International Debutant
For India

Adding to the above mentioned,

India Vs SAF final at Durban in 1997

India was coasting along requiring about 80 runs in 17 overs with 8 wickets in hand but the all too familiar collapse started.

Ind Vs WI at Kingston in 1997

Same scenario, Same result :dry:

Not my country but the first match i remember watching intently, WI Vs Aus 96 WC semis. I was supporting WI in that match and man the collapse was terrible and that too in a WC semis :@

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Personally...

1) "We'll have a bowl"
2) Andy Bichel at Port Elizabeth

No prizes for guessing South Africa's...
Eddo Brandes' destorying England in 1997 (when he took the hat-trick), and I believe Zimbabwe won 3-0 in the ODIs.

Sehwag309

Banned
As others have mentioned the Ind/Sri Semis, the 12-run loss to Pak..they can never be forgotten

However, I find the Ind/Sri Sharjah Final 2000 the worst ever, India 54 all out..

Piper

International Captain
As i live in England (but not actually born here) I would say the worst moment in Englands cricketing history would be losing the Ashes so many times.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Piper said:
As i live in England (but not actually born here) I would say the worst moment in Englands cricketing history would be losing the Ashes so many times.
That's not a moment; that's a chronic condition.

I think 46 all out was the moment that I can remember which hurt most, though the awful realisation that we were probably the worst team in the world after the last series against NZ comes pretty close.

Taking a longer view, though, I would nominate the moment when PF Warner accepted the invitation to be co-manager of the 1932-33 MCC tour to Australia.

Cheers,

Mike

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The worst moments for India as seen by me. These were really gut-wrenching moments that I can't forget.

1) AustralAsia Cup Final in Sharjah in 1986 versus Pakistan. Miandad hits Chetan Sharma for a 6 in the last ball of the match and wins the match for Pakistan.

2) Bridgetown test versus West Indies in 1997, India all out for 81 in the second innings to lose the match.

3) India losing to SL in the 1996 world cup semi final.

4) World Cup 1992 match versus Australia in Brisbane.India lost by 1 run.

5) World Cup 1987 match versus Australia in Chennai.India lost by 1 wicket.

Last edited:

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The underarm delivery was not only Australia's worst cricketing moment but also the worst sporting moment in the country's history. I remember watching it on TV and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Many excuses were dragged out at the time. Greg Chappell was mentally unhinged and that Australia got beaten by the West Indies in the World Series in a similar scenario (Wayne Daniels hit a six off the last ball coming in at no. 11, it was the only ball he faced I think). There is no excuse good enough though. He will never live it down. The Kiwis will always bring it up and there's nothing that we can say about it.

It's hard to find another moment that even comes close to that one.

Deja moo

International Captain
The six hit by Miandad off the last ball vs India has to be the worst moment in Indias cricketing history.

Before that , India had the upper hand vs Pakistan in all matches. That shot had such an impact on the Indians psyche that they never really recovered and started losing big time to Pakistan then on.

Only this present Indian team seems to be unaffected by the trauma. Hopefully, better times lie ahead. :)