• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nehra: We need YOGA expert for team

Sudeep

International Captain
http://web.mid-day.com/sports/national/2004/june/85406.htm

I read Greg Chappell say in this month's Wisden Cricket Asia issue that the game is being played theorectically and superficially too much. He said that a lot of importance is being given on non-cricketing aspects, whereas the best method of coaching to do good is to be on the field, playing cricket.

I agree with almost all what Chappell said.

Yoga expert for cricket? It might be a good means of achieving mental balance, good health etc., but aren't we going overboard with this new obsession of non-cricketing ways of being a good cricketer? What are your ideas?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Why doesn't Nehra ask for fencing lessons aswell?
As far as im concerned, Yoga lessons or whatever...it takes up valuable time that should be spent in the nets.

Waughney

International Debutant
Opinions on preparation will differ from player to player, some can't get enough (eg. Justin Langer), others only do the minimum. Yes, the best method of coaching is to be on the feild itself, and thats already being done, the players themselves say they are on the feild too much.
Yoga expert for cricket? I don't see why not, If Nehra thinks it will help him and they have enough money they should go ahead with it. If it doesn't work out they can easily stop it.

Waughney

International Debutant
Tim said:
Why doesn't Nehra ask for fencing lessons aswell?
As far as im concerned, Yoga lessons or whatever...it takes up valuable time that should be spent in the nets.
The common view on training these days is not quantity but quality. Yoga is meant to rejuvinate and focus the body as well as acheive mental balance this can do nothing but help a cricketer. Plus a yoga session would only take 20 or so minutes. They could also make it optional so that players can do it in their own time, taking no time away from valuable net sessions.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Different peoples training varies, its all personal prefference. If Nehra feels it will help his game then go for it. Personally i feel that skills sessions and net work are the most effective methods of training. But as has been mentioned, over training is more harm then good IMO.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would've thought Nehra would've been better off getting bowling lessons first

Mind you, I can't see how he'll make the Indian team anymore anyway!

Waughney

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
Well, He'll make it to the Indian team........... justify the way u survied this forum with ur stupid comments (English Tea..arghh) Old fart mark..ENGLISH..so u guys can't sleep without divided and rule. I hope ur england has ...........ALLL THE WINS

MODS, IF'IM WRONG BAN ME
I can't see your problem :huh: this is from a neutral Australian perspective aswell.

Sudeep

International Captain
Yes, there's no point in utilizing Yoga as an enhancing means for your concentration on the field, when you don't possess enough skills to be good.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
*continues barbequeing shrimp and thanks Aussie stars* happy now?
What exactly was the origin of the saying "Don't come the raw prawn with me, sport?"

Yes, I did watch too many 'Barry McKenzie' films in the 1960's early 1970's

Waughney

International Debutant
Sehwag309 must've deleted the post. He said something along the lines of:
Fine, dont see, just keep bbq your shrimp...and thank your Aussie stars
I had no idea what he was talking about??

Sehwag309

Banned
Waughney said:
Sehwag309 must've deleted the post. He said something along the lines of:
I had no idea what he was talking about??
I apologize mate, I was being aggressive on something which didn;t belong here. Whisky.Beer Mix..sorry

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Ok ive seen the word 'shrimp' used twice today, thats twice too many...Come on troopers, get it right.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Nehra can take Yoga lessons, and also bowling and fielding lessons and even get his batting basics right, courtesy of Srinath and Irfan, but he should leave the ad modelling to Saurav Ganguly.