• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I'm guessing the following will be out first test starting XI. I suppose no surprises.

Blundell
Latham
Kane
Rosco
Nicholls
BJ Watling
CDG
Southee
Lockie
Boult
Ajaz

If they are not going to play Ajaz, they are much better off playing a seamer instead of Sodhi or Santner. If Santner had picked up a wicket or two in the last couple of games I think they would have played him.

I reckon we are not going to see Young in the next two test matches unfortunately. Unless we suck big time and lose the test is 3 or 4 days. That'll mean Young will get a go against Bangladesh during our winter tour.
You're forgetting Wags.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
That's the thing about CDG though, is he'll usually contribute in one aspect of the game if he fails in the other. One of my favourites was during the WC final when he got absolutely peppered by Archer and Wood for about 15 off 30 balls, looked all at sea and then comes out and almost wins us the World Cup with 10-2-25-1.

Agree that test cricket is his best form, he's managed to show a different temperament as of late - maybe a sign he's maturing. In white ball cricket though, he's undoubtably a match-winner. Think his contribution is vastly underrated, he took the game away when it could have gone either way after a couple of wickets. Reminds me of when he smashed about 70* against Pakistan in a similar knock. Plus his knock in the WC game against South Africa. I think he's the kind of player you only need him to win 1 in 8-9 games for him to be worth it.
I'd pick him in all formats till the next year at least or till he shows he's lost it.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder why he didn't take the new rock? That Ferns bloke looks pretty mediocre, wonder what he did to get the nod to open the bowling

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's the thing about CDG though, is he'll usually contribute in one aspect of the game if he fails in the other. One of my favourites was during the WC final when he got absolutely peppered by Archer and Wood for about 15 off 30 balls, looked all at sea and then comes out and almost wins us the World Cup with 10-2-25-1.

Agree that test cricket is his best form, he's managed to show a different temperament as of late - maybe a sign he's maturing. In white ball cricket though, he's undoubtably a match-winner. Think his contribution is vastly underrated, he took the game away when it could have gone either way after a couple of wickets. Reminds me of when he smashed about 70* against Pakistan in a similar knock. Plus his knock in the WC game against South Africa. I think he's the kind of player you only need him to win 1 in 8-9 games for him to be worth it.
I love Dutchie like I love peanut butter on Vogels in the morning, but I don't think he's necessarily matured - he's still that enigma and he always will be. If guys are performing around him, it's a luxury we can afford to have that he might win us a game once or twice a summer and not necessarily contribute with the bat around that (and quite possibly get out in horrendous situations at the wrong time). In that innings last night, he was very nearly caught second ball, should have been run out shortly after, just managed to squeeze Chahal over the boundary thereafter...etc. But hey, the guys around him are performing and we can ride that luck, plus his work with the ball makes him an automatic selection.

Enough doom and gloom from me though. Chased 300 twice, and a big 300, with relative ease really. And without Kane runs. Nicholls, Gup, Ross, Dutchy, and honestly been blown away with how Latham is striking it. Real good signs.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tbh, he's turned out more like Jacob Oram in ODIs. Underdelivered a bit with the bat though not without some explosive innings. Much better with the ball than people probably credit him for. S

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good series win though didn't catch much of the last match. Great to see Guptill back in form - it's been a while.

Colin De Grandhomme makes more sense if you stereotype him from the French origin of his name imo - French as in mercurial rugby and soccer with flair. Brilliant, stupid, insouciant and infuriating.

What do you think, Colin?

*Gallic shrug*

We're just lucky he hasn't headbutted or elbowed anyone on the field (yet).

jcas0167

International Debutant
It's been a while since Coney took a dig at Stead, anyone want to throw a boot in?
No. If anything, the fact the team continued on without missing a beat showed that the assistants can take over now and then to allow him a break to see his wife and kids. I didn't realise what a toll it had taken on Hesson's family.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think Shardul is good enough for International cricket, but I also think he's probably better than what he has demonstrated in Indian colours so far. A lot of rank bad deliveries, and seemingly unable to bowl to his field. Maybe struggling for rhythm and confidence, maybe not handling the pressure well.

I think the faith in him is justified given he's put in decent performances in T20Is so far, but it seems ODIs are not the format for him. This would mirror his domestic performances - he's alright in FC cricket and T20 cricket, with List A being his weakest format. Which is the case for a lot of our cricketers right now weirdly enough. It seems we've got a generation of players that understand the importance of multi-day cricket, whilst simultaneously trying to sharpen their games for the IPL, and in the process let their One Day skills slip.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Just amazing that Shardul has gotten a game at all, let alone 11.
Not surprising considering that there are plenty such instances of rank bad selections in Indian cricket history. Picking the wrong player and then persisting with him despite not being good enough after receiving a fair amount of chances.