• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know its only a silly warm-up but these SA batsmen should not be knocking around these Eng bowlers like this...

SeamUp

International Coach
Sekhukhune looks perfect technically but just struggled to turn it into runs. Got his Titans rookie contract last winter so hopefully progression.

Jacques Snyman has been dominant for Northern Cape. Got some Knights chances. Perhaps should have got more. Was signed up by Jozi Stars in MSL as a replacement. Bowls some dartish off-spinners too.

Benoni serves up 2 kinds of wickets. The dangerous to your health one or flat puddings.

SeamUp

International Coach
I hope SA A bat first on Friday. More interested in seeing the batting have two goes than the bowling.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Has there been any TV coverage (or indeed anybody been to the ground)? How much was Anderson putting in, and will he still be able to walk tomorrow?

SeamUp

International Coach
From someone at the ground. Will try get other views.

Bowling's not been to good. Many loose balls. When I got to the ground Jimmy already finished his spell. I will check how he goes after lunch

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly the SA A v England game has been called off because a large % of England squad are down with flu ?

What a crock of ****.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Sibley got whacked on the helmet again in the warmup game. I don't know how many times he's been hit since coming into the England setup. I worry about top order bats that don't play the pull or hook. Really limits your options.

Burns has for the most part not played pull/hooks through his England career. He got hit by Wagner in the last test and as a result started playing a lot more pull shots and as a result looked better for it, although like most of his strokes he doesn't look particularly natural playing a pull shot.

I was reminded of Hales on the last tour to SA. Didn't play the short ball at all. Just ducked under it or defended. Scored his runs at 38.96 sr (at 17 avg) on that tour which was slower than everyone but Finn and Compton for England. Just didn't go anywhere - was parked on the back foot ducking and then knicked off when they pitched up.

South Africa is definitely a place where you need to play well off the back foot. For that reason you've really got to worry about Sibley. Burns at least has shown the ability to adapt his game so far in his career, although I rather think he might also struggle with the bounce.

Crawley may have some weaknesses in his game but he looks good on the short ball. Dominant pull/hooker who hits the ball hard and along the ground (albeit his experiences have been in easier conditions than he will encounter in SA). Couple of bad tests for Sibley and I could see him getting a pop at opening.

I really hope Sibley is working hard on the short ball in the nets. You can't keep get hit on the head.

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly this is the latest update. So looks like there will be a game but a proper mickey mouse one.

Due to a handful of #England players being ill, it has been agreed that the match between the touring side and South Africa A starting at Willowmoore Park on Friday will be downgraded to a 3-day friendly tour match.
The players will be monitored over the next 48-72 hours