• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best losing performance you have seen?

sunilz

International Regular
After seeing Lara many times in the above link, I checked how many times did Lara score 200 and above in a test match ( both innings combined)
So here is the list
Sangakkara 17( 5 against BAN + ZIM)
Lara (15)
Kohli 13 (1 against BAN )
Smith (8)

tony p

First Class Debutant
v.v.s. laxman's 167 at the s.c.g in1999/00. his first test hundred opening the batting out of 258 in the second innings.

india were thrashed but we got to see how great laxman was against australia.( the first of many). one of my favourite alltime players to watch.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nathan Astle at Christchurch on our 2002 tour.

Never seen a batsman more in "the zone". England had set NZ well over 500 to win and his 222 got them to within double digits of it.

Still the fastest double hundred ever.
Didn't MCullum broke this record? Or was it the fastest century?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Paul Collingwood in Adelaide. 206 in the first dig then not out 22 off 119 as his team fell about him in the second dig to somehow lose that test.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
William Mycroft took 17-103 for Derbyshire v Hampshire in 1876 - then the best first-class bowling figures in an 11-a-side match - and held a catch; but Hampshire still won by 1 wicket.

Two players in that match had odd claims to fame: Mycroft was Conan Doyle's inspiration for the name of Sherlock Holmes's brother, and Reginald Hargreaves (who hit the winning runs for Hampshire) later married Alice Liddell, the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
After seeing Lara many times in the above link, I checked how many times did Lara score 200 and above in a test match ( both innings combined)
So here is the list
Sangakkara 17( 5 against BAN + ZIM)
Lara (15)
Kohli 13 (1 against BAN )
Smith (8)
Other batsmen with 10 or more:
Bradman 14
Ponting 13
Younis Khan 11
Cook, Dravid, Kallis, Tendulkar 10 each

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It was always another inferior batsman who screwed up the winning chance in all those 3 losses. Jadeja during 175, Laxman during 143 and Mongia and co. during 136.
Kind of hard to blame Mongia despite his daft shot to get out. His partnership with Sachin was the only reason we were still in the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kind of hard to blame Mongia despite his daft shot to get out. His partnership with Sachin was the only reason we were still in the game.

Come on, they were fighting hard on a difficult wicket and Mongia decided to suddenly charge at Wasim, of all people and got himself out. I became sure that he was part of the fixing gang off that game.

Slifer

International Captain
Possible to do it over the career including average? Just interested to see who was more unlucky between Sachin and Lara?
Not close, has to be Lara without even looking. Yes I know up until the early 00s lara had Ambrose and Walsh but thereafter he had zero decent bowlers and only Shiv as a world class batsman.

vcs

Shiv probably had it even harder than Lara. Dude was a one man army between 2006 or so till 2013. So many series where he'd average 60-70 and the next best WI batsman would hardly be in double figures.

OverratedSanity

Wouldve averaged 45 if he prioritized what the team needed instead of needing to stay not out. Lara couldve averaged 90 if he wanted to.

And there was my customary chanders was selfish post. Its been a while, its good to be back.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah, amazingly lara averages 53 with just a handful of not out innings. Imagine what it'd be if he had even half as many not outs as sir shiv ....

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This whole "Shiv didn't do what was best for the team" argument is spurious at best when you considered the quality of the teams he played with.

Extremely underrated cricketer

vcs

"Playing for the team" and hitting out when he was batting with the lower order wouldn't have made much difference anyway, such was the state of the WI teams he played in post-Lara.

Might as well protect your stats.