• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His first day ton in the 2015 Ashes probably was what decided the series in the end.
Of course he wasn't actually captain at that point.

I think his all-time best knock was the one against South Africa where Broad took 6/17.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Williamson and Taylor have moved to 55 50+ partnerships in all Test/ODI/T20I stats combined. 9th on the all time list.

98 - Jayawardene & Sangakkara
83 - Ganguly & Tendulkar
82 - Greenidge & Haynes
74 - Dravid & Tendulkar
73 - Atapattu & Jayasuriya
63 - Hayden & Ponting
57 - Dilshan & Sangakkara
57 - Haynes & Richardson
55 - Taylor & Williamson
53 = - Gambhir & Sehwag + Inzamam & Yousuf
Imagine if they could run between the wickets. Surprising to see only one Aussie pair considering they had 7 50 + average batsman at the same time

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Getting in on the anti-Dobell train:

Dobellend said:
To see an opening batsman register a century, to see a 21-year-old resist for more than four hours, to see the captain return to form… None of this will have India or Australia quaking in fear just yet. But it all felt like progress from England.
Yeah it's all about those two teams right. NZ isn't a challenge at all.

Flem274*

123/5
just enjoy it. the confusion and sourness of the english media during the past 3 tours has been beautiful.

david lloyd cried about the kookaburra again yesterday. we should never get rid of it, having to bowl with it is one of our greatest strengths. imagine if southee and henry had a duke here and then we took them to australia. aussie would hit like a truck.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Dobell going back to having a real strop about the pitches:

That is not sustainable and the reason it's not sustainable is New Zealand is creating these pitches and they'll kill test cricket.

They get results in the end like at Mt Maunganui…(but) a rock fall can be quite dramatic, it could be good TV, but a thousand years of erosion which caused it isn't good TV and I don't think the end justifies the terribly attritional means.

I've tried not to say it all tour, it's sort of building up to it. Basically, this is the worst series I've ever covered in my career in 20 years.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
It's going to rain all day guys, rain predicted from 12 noon till late night in Hamilton. The series is as good as done and dusted. Let's rejoice on yet another series win. England came with plenty of reputation with the ball but didn't do justice. England batting was going to be a concern and it was as expected in the first test. Our only one blotch was Jeet Raval but that's all right he can be carried a little longer and he'll come good in Aussie.

ataraxia

International Coach
Simming this in ICC for the lols.

Game 1: NZ 205 (Astle 20, Young 35*) and 432 (Astle 20, Young 27) defeated Sri Lanka 263 (Astle 2/17) and 235 (Astle 1/10) by 139 runs.
Game 2: NZ 294 (Astle 8, Young 85) and 265 (Astle 2, Young 54*) defeated Sri Lanka 307 (Astle 1/19) and 227 (Astle 0/21) by 5 runs.

Game 3:England 285 (Astle 0/4) and 3/166 (Astle DNB) def. NZ 199 (Astle 1, Young 6) and 248 (Astle 4, Young 5) by 7 wickets.
Game 4: New Zealand 261 (Astle 13, Young 68*) and 4/55 (Astle 4) def. England 126 (Astle DNB) and 189 (Astle 0/17) by 6 wickets.

Game 5: Australia 512 (Astle 0/26) and 0/25 (Astle DNB) def. New Zealand 222 (Astle 19, Young 29*) and 313 (Astle 3, Young 29) by 10 wickets.
Game 6: New Zealand 226 (Astle 9, Young 5) and 467 (Astle 23, Young 36) def. Australia 246 (Astle 1/19) and 273 (Astle 0/34) by 174 runs.
Game 7: Australia 269 (Astle 0/24) and 298 (Astle 0/12) def. New Zealand 311 (Astle 12, Young 8) and 106 (Astle 20, Young 26) by 150 runs.

Game 8: India 218 (Astle 0/42) and 4/332 (Astle 0/22) def. New Zealand 274 (Astle 8, Young 22) and 272 (Astle 4, Young 22) by 6 wickets.
Game 9: India 402 (Astle 0/6) def. New Zealand 154 (Astle 0, Young 12) and 184 (Astle 0, Young 33) by an innings and 64 runs.

So for those playing at home, here's the stats after a full year.

Highlights:
  • Astle peaking early with a pair of 20s and handy wickets in Sri Lanka
  • Young spending half of his SL tour getting stranded, and engine-rooming a 156 run stand for the 7th wicket with Lord Colin
  • Neil Wagner rolling England with 12/90 in the Second Test
  • New Zealand winning the New Year's Test in Adelaide (???) literally only because of Tom Latham (92 and 210)
  • Captain Kane refusing to bowl Tastle even as Kuldeep and Markande (???) took 19 wickets across two Tests in NZ.
  • Bumrah (5 @ 54.60) being comfortably outbowled by Virat (4 @ 5.00) for the series
  • Shaw carrying his bat for 252* in his second Test back from that drugs ban

I also had to reset the game twice (before the first series and after the Australia series) because Tastle decided he didn't like this idea. I see through your broken finger and four week hamstring injury, Tastle!
Good to see Tastle offering moral support for Latham in Adelaide. Based on the SL series it seems like Young is suited at 8. BTW All the games NZ didn't win Tastle didn't get a wicket. He was the key factor in the wins. Revised:

Latham
Tastle
Williamson
Conway
Ravindra
Mitchell
Blundell +
Young
Southee
Neesham
Wagner

The 5-6-7 haven't been performing well and Southee is batting good, so this is my new 11. I'm an NZ selector so I'll drop Ferguson for no reason at all. Reckon a 9th wicket partnership between Young and Neesham would be pretty demoralising for the opposition.

Flem274*

123/5
It's going to rain all day guys, rain predicted from 12 noon till late night in Hamilton. The series is as good as done and dusted. Let's rejoice on yet another series win. England came with plenty of reputation with the ball but didn't do justice. England batting was going to be a concern and it was as expected in the first test. Our only one blotch was Jeet Raval but that's all right he can be carried a little longer and he'll come good in Aussie.
more like 2pm but if it follows the pattern of the past few weeks, 4pm.

nzfan

"They couldn't have done more. Both sides. (England's double century maker) Joe Root's been brilliant but his skills have mainly been denial, discipline, concentration," he said.

"Are those things you turn on the TV for…let's not watch Joe Root drive let's watch Joe Root leave the ball and let's watch him nudge another single off his hips.

"That's all you can do on this slag heap of a wicket. It's very, very disappointing and I think it's a short sighted strategy from New Zealand.

"They've got five days of gate receipts. Great. I don't know how many people will fly 12,000 miles next time to watch this because it's not good entertainment.

"I've tried not to say it all tour, it's sort of building up to it. Basically, this is the worst series I've ever covered in my career in 20 years.

"You've got to be aware it is an entertainment product. It is so slow and they've got brilliant players on both sides. You just need to give them a canvas on which they can express themselves."
I don't get it... Is the writer confused with T20 and test cricket? What sort of pitches did he want? Flat track, green seamers or spinning tracks? Australia is thrashed for flat tracks, India for spinning tracks and England for green seamers. Is test cricket supposed to be entertainment or battle of attrition?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha this is possibly one of the best cricket related waaaaaahs ever

Anyway, tipping a quikfire 50 and 5fer from Wagner today to seal a 2-0 trouncing.

Flem274*

123/5
this deck is a bit of a motorway tbh but that often happens in hamilton. on the faster clay 125-130kph won't do **** after the first innings and on the slower one you need a decent spin bowling option and for your quicks to bowl ugly.

this game could be very different if broad pitched it up and the mercenary put his back into it, or wagner had lockie to bowl in tandem with.

overall england have bowled too short all series to get swing and nz lack pace and swing, especially with boult and cdg injured.

The Hutt Rec

By the way, what a contrast in the quality of that article by Sidharth Monga about Wagner compared to what this Dobell guy has been dishing up.