• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Afghanistan vs West Indies 2019

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And that's lunch. One of the overnight batsmen batting through this session what was needed. Steady the ship along the way to getting the lead. Brooks should aim to bat long, probably the entire day. He's got good company in Dowrich...and the batsmen to come. Holder is our best bat over the past 12 months.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know I sound a bit obsessive but I'm really starting to dislike Rashid over these appeals. Looks like he's been robbed every time the umpire turns down his clearly not out appeals

All the hype has gone to his head

vcs

Yeah he's an arrogant git. Those celebrations and sendoffs aren't so endearing anymore.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
When did Hetmyer last score any runs? Big fan, he was must stream last year but can’t remember any knocks of substance recently.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When did Hetmyer last score any runs? Big fan, he was must stream last year but can’t remember any knocks of substance recently.
Hes been **** since the world cup save for that lone fifty during it

Even before it, in that WI-England series where Gayle scored a million runs, Hetmyer got a century and next game a 6(2) (trying to hit both his first and second balls faced for 6 in that mammoth 400+ chase) I felt it was a sign he's not quite there yet

Edit - scratch that his WC apparently wasn't terrible. 250 runs @36 with 2 fifties. It felt underwhelming at the time

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Holy ****. No more tests without DRS please. Frustrating to watch
Couldn't agree more. It's not fair on Zadran, Hety and Rakheem who all got sawn off.

Afghanistan's appealing also leaves something to be desired. Match referee definitely needs to have a word.

Anyway, well played Brooks, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good your innings was.

vcs

Hopefully Afghanistan can take the lead to 120 or so to make it a nailbiting chase.

vcs

Yea that's probably not gonna happen. Good win for WI after appearing to make the wrong decision at the toss (barring a miracle).

Beamer

Excellent bowling by WIndies, they kept in there and Cornwall and Chase displayed a high level of skill. I was a bit disappointed with Warrican though. He has performed well recently when given the opportunity but he was ordinary here in favorable conditions against a questionable batting line up. He appeared to be doing the same thing over and over, didn't change his angles or flight at all. Compare that with Rakheem and even Chase in his brief spell, who bowled a lovely length, change their pace and angles to result in edges at slip, lbw's and bowled dismissals.

I'm not sure this test is teaching us much in terms of the big picture. We have an excellent bowling attack that will get teams out in most conditions, especially now we have a credible spin option. Our batting still looks shaky and reliant on one of our batsman playing an excellent innings. There is still no consistency.

Afghanistan have a very threatening attack in dry conditions, I feel they could bowl anyone out. But their batting is going to struggle to put up runs at the moment so they won't win consistently. I also fear for them if they tour countries with more seam friendly conditions.

Other thing is that no test should happen without DRS in this day and age. We're trying to make all tests relevant and yet here we have two test nations being subjected to amateurish umpiring with no technology to aid them.

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah, and these Rashid constant appeals is the reason why we have DRS in the first place. It's ridiculous to see from one of the best bowlers in white ball.

Hetmyer's decision was ridiculous...was just about to get Rashid under control.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Kraigg Brathwaite's continued failing really hurts. Based on his regional performances, I had him pegged as a future Chanderpaul, and star opener, but he seems to have been figured out by all bowlers. After an exceptional year, he's been awful for almost 2 years now, averaging less than 20 I believe.

Dowrich, meanwhile, I feel is underrated. He looks a good, serious test bat whenever I see him.

Was Cornwall actually excellent, or were Afghanistan just really bad at playing spin? I wasn't able to see any if his bowling.

Last edited:

Beamer

Kraigg Brathwaite's continued failing really hurts. Based on his regional performances, I had him pegged as a future Chanderpaul, and star opener, but he seems to have been figured out by all bowlers. After an exceptional year, he's been awful for almost 2 years now, averaging less than 20 I believe.

Dowrich, meanwhile, I feel is underrated. He looks a good, serious test bat whenever I see him.

Was Cornwall actually excellent, or were Afghanistan just really bad at playing spin? I wasn't able to see any if his bowling.
Agree with all your points. Kraigg will be vulnerable if anyone performs outstandingly during our domestic season.

As for Rakheem, it was mostly excellent bowling with batsman out to defensive shots. He defeated the right handers on your inside and outside edge. There were a couple of silly shots mixed in though.