• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali may now tour

Slow Love™

International Captain
Kenny said:
And I fail to see why Muralitharan would be subject to racial abuse when all other black players are not - when has any other black player complained of any racism in the last 20 years? ......I have also been to a game with him playing and I only heard the no-ball, chucker etc etc......often quite humorously I might add.
First of all, it's not as if Murali IS the only victim of racial outbursts at the cricket (this subject was written about by a couple of Indian journos and Peter Roebuck during the recent India-Aus series), but the reason it's so vociferous where Murali is concerned is because of the surrounding issue of his chucking, and the fact that it already makes him a particular target.

Get a large group of people who are jeering him and within it you'll always find a ready contingent (who are getting larger and larger) who will take the abuse too far, and spill into racial epiphets. You know, kind of how Darren Lehmann did. Not always as bad as it has been lately, but the reasons things are a little racially "tense" in Australia recently are obvious enough without me having to go there.

This racial abuse nonsense is the bleating of a Murali apologist I fear.
Wow, Kenny, you surprise me. You obviously haven't read a single post I've made surrounding the Murali issue up to now - maybe you should, before you punch below the belt so fast.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
No you wouldn't, you'd be rolling in all your cash.
Under my current circumstances, damned right I would. If I were filthy rich, then I could afford to be choosy.

I mean, Sri Lanka are hardly going to discipline him if he were to say 'not this time', are they?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
I don't think so. Invariably these guys are under contract, and expected to play when they are required to play......I can't just not turn up for work if I feel like it, and neither can they, really.
MacGill's conscience vote was an exception I believe because of extenuating circumstances.
Yeah right when an australian player does it it becomes an exception but when someone else does it he should be forced to play. I can give you 20 examples of International cricketers making themselves unavailable for some tour.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Test cricket's the toughest arena in the world... It's made out to be that way... In other sports you should see what goes on, Aussie Tennis players were spat on in Barcelona and they got over it pretty bloody quickly. It sounds as though in Murali's perfect world there'd be no crowds, which is just crap because the crowds is what the challenge of playing in another nation is all about. If he doesn't tour he's a whoose and I feel that he can't be rated as one of the all time greats.

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Slats4ever said:
It sounds as though in Murali's perfect world there'd be no crowds, which is just crap because the crowds is what the challenge of playing in another nation is all about. If he doesn't tour he's a whoose and I feel that he can't be rated as one of the all time greats.
Murali's threat to skip the July tour of Australia came after John Howard replied in the affirmative in response to a question whether Murali was a "chucker" and not in response to fans screaming "no-ball" or "chucker" or whatever. Some people here are speculating on why he is threatening not to tour, but I am going only on what he said, nothing else.

Like I said in my previous post, there is a big difference between a Prime Minister of a country and an average fan calling someone a "chucker". And if you accept that and add the fact that calling a bowler a "chucker" is the same as calling him a "cheat", you would understand Murali's position.

But having said that, I hope Murali does tour Australia.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
Test cricket's the toughest arena in the world... It's made out to be that way... In other sports you should see what goes on, Aussie Tennis players were spat on in Barcelona and they got over it pretty bloody quickly. It sounds as though in Murali's perfect world there'd be no crowds, which is just crap because the crowds is what the challenge of playing in another nation is all about. If he doesn't tour he's a whoose and I feel that he can't be rated as one of the all time greats.
My cousin's son is a professional boxer - and he would laugh at the suggestion that test cricket is tough at all.

The fact that a bunch of scum watching another sport abused Aussie tennis players (is there more than one? You're getting like the UK in that respect) cannot be used to justify what might or might not go on amongst cricket supporters.

I suggest the next time you play Spain in the Davis cup, demonstrate your inimitable Aussie humour and at the same time wind them up a bit by say, playing the old Generalissimo Franco national anthem. That'll be a giggle.