• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Finn Allen really , really needs to move.

Needs to do the Otago right of passage. Too many non-test blackcaps in the Auckland batting lineup.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really felt like this second half of the FC season would never arrive.

Late season runfest + spinners to dominate like usual? Though aside from Sodhi, the usual late season bag-takers are absent for various reasons.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

All those bounce-orientated bowlers in the Firebirds, but it's seemed like a catch in front of the wicket might be just as likely to see McClure's downfall in his comeback Plunket Shield knock today. The weight hanging back, safe negotiation of the short ones being his top priority.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
https://twitter.com/PlunketPromise/status/1231366861184307200

Anyone who's on Twitter (an anon junker account is also fine), can you give that tweet a like for me, or to take issue with it in a reply, and maybe one of you tag in @Ald1nS. Only then will we get the nonsense Phlegm is complaining about with Will Young's batting position thrashed out irl.
I too am confused about whether Will Young's future is test opener or 4. Similarly Conway - I know it's said he opened in South Africa but he mostly hasn't opened in NZ.

Have largely just seen boundary highlights of each, which doesn't tell you how their defense and leaving looks.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I too am confused about whether Will Young's future is test opener or 4. Similarly Conway - I know it's said he opened in South Africa but he mostly hasn't opened in NZ.

Have largely just seen boundary highlights of each, which doesn't tell you how their defense and leaving looks.
It was me pushing the Conway as opener bandwagon originally, but although he did open in SA in both domestic and youth cricket, he wasn't very successful at that, especially in multiday cricket. I thought it was worth a punt a year ago, but his last season has been so tremendous that I think it's probably a misstep to try to shoehorn such a potentially awesome asset into that role.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It was me pushing the Conway as opener bandwagon originally, but although he did open in SA in both domestic and youth cricket, he wasn't very successful at that, especially in multiday cricket. I thought it was worth a punt a year ago, but his last season has been so tremendous that I think it's probably a misstep to try to shoehorn such a potentially awesome asset into that role.
right, sounds like a long shot - might open in limited-overs but far more likely to push for the #4 spot at test level, in competition with several others.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Good comeback century for McClure after his concussion issues last season. I'm pleased to see some of the Under 19 guys are progressing into the senior ranks, via the A games. Mariu and Lidstone both playing for Canterbury A. Hopefully, Wheeler-Greenall and some of the others will feature too.

Also, Young continued his good form with 67 and effectively opened the innings after one of the openers was out for a 2nd ball duck.

Last edited:

Immenso

All the Plunket Shield teams for tomorrow. ND is moving on from both Flynn and Brownlie, they're out and the captaincy has gone to Joe Carter. No special mentions in the release to confirm either of those as being full first-class retirements, however.
https://archive.nzc.nz/Players/62/62490/f_Batting_by_Season.html

I see Flynn averaged 17.84 last season, and 16.00 this Plunket season up until the break. So, fair enough.
Also not contributing much in the other formats.

Brownlie's numbers still good enough, though.

nzfan

I wasn't even aware the second round of Plunkett shield has started. Just checked the scores. Runs for Ravindra, Jimmy and Bracewell. Looking at some of ball by ball stuff the pitch at Rangiora seems to have been a 150 deck, movement in the air, off the deck and bounce. Good Firebirds got to 300+ Seeing the footage, McClure wore one yesterday as well but luckily that was just his shoulders and missed his helmet. The dude has had to miss good amount of cricket due to concussion. Great to see him do well.

Disappointed Finn Allen is still not making the Aces team. Don't understand how many of their players that are never going to make red ball cricket is still making the team.

Immenso

I said Finn Allen should go the Otago route. But he could actually just move 30 minutes south to Counties Manukau like Sodhi.

There's a Flynn/Brownlie/Kelly sized hole in the ND middle order.

Immenso

Wellington will have a conway sized hole soon with only michael bracewell to fill it
Yes, well. At this moment he would make any of the 5 other associations starting 11 in my opinion.

As for Auckland. I can't actually criticise a 3, 4, 5 of Phillips, Chapman, O'Donnell.

Flem274*

123/5
I can. Odonnell barely averages 30 after roughly 25 games. Pure james marshalling. allen should be in there.

he struggles to make cd the most.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I can. Odonnell barely averages 30 after roughly 25 games. Pure james marshalling. allen should be in there.
Haha I found it slightly interesting that Malan retweeted this the other day. My immediate thought was him mulling over O'Donnell vs. Allen.

Of course when Malan does select Allen, he gets some gormless half-heartedness like that, to his fourth ball in a tenth over. A bit of a tag there as a product of a really wealthy background who has things set up a little too comfortably for him as they are. A celebrity like Archer or Broad starts bowling to him, and suddenly there's more of a fully focused Allen out there, looking slightly better than a 20 FC average.

Immenso

he struggles to make cd the most.
Yeah, I probably still over-rate O'Donnell's promise on looking good, but he's 25 now, usually bats well away from the new ball as well. Should have had better results by now.