• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
4/23 with some noticeable new ball swing will only make the drums beat louder for a Ferguson test debut. Real nasty bounce to run through the tail here. I'm not sure if he'll be able to elbow his way in front of Wagner before the first test v England, but he should definitely be ahead of Henry by now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
4/23 with some noticeable new ball swing will only make the drums beat louder for a Ferguson test debut. Real nasty bounce to run through the tail here. I'm not sure if he'll be able to elbow his way in front of Wagner before the first test v England, but he should definitely be ahead of Henry by now.
Yeah it's not like Henry's covered himself in glory in the Tests he's played to really nail down that spot as first reserve, either. I think he'd do better with a longer run but Ferguson should definitely be ahead of him now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fraser Sheat now getting in on the medium pace destroyer train. I think a bit of a readjustment with the pitches is required at this point.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fraser Sheat now getting in on the medium pace destroyer train. I think a bit of a readjustment with the pitches is required at this point.
Weird action where doesn't really jump through his delivery stride - Henry Shipley another Cantabrian who is similar. Still an upgrade over Williams's mediums though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Also congrats Henry Cooper - 126* on a day when batting all around the country has been hard, next highest score anywhere is 37.

Speaking of openers, I think we're all a little afraid that Jeet Raval is reaching then end of his relatively good run. Everyone likes him because he's clearly a hard worker and we remember what the opener merry-go-round was like before him, but man it's going to be a tough summer. I'd honestly be thrilled if he averaged 20 (60) over 7 tests this season.
He hasn't started his domestic season well.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Also congrats Henry Cooper - 126* on a day when batting all around the country has been hard, next highest score anywhere is 37.

Speaking of openers, I think we're all a little afraid that Jeet Raval is reaching then end of his relatively good run. Everyone likes him because he's clearly a hard worker and we remember what the opener merry-go-round was like before him, but man it's going to be a tough summer. I'd honestly be thrilled if he averaged 20 (60) over 7 tests this season.
He hasn't started his domestic season well.
Jeet Raval will be all right, the pitches have been loaded against batsmen on the first day usually. He's good enough to turn it around. I think he'll go all right.

nzfan

Henry Cooper has had a decent run after 20+ games. Checked Cricinfo but no information about his age. I'm thinking he must be mid 20s?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sears now having some fun. Starting to get quite excited about him, the bounce and pace on display just looked too much for Auckland this morning.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Would have been good to sneak Sears into the NZ XI to play England. He must be the best pace prospect to emerge since Ferguson.

@Kippax, Thorn Parkes in action today for Northland. Presumably, he will be available for ND over Uni holidays.

nzfan

100 for Nathan Smith today, the lad can bat... He's been looking good with the bat of late. Is he more of a batter now?

nzfan

Really excited about Ben Sears, he's going to go a long way if he can stay injury free. Another lad of great promise from the 2016 under 19 batch.

Flem274*

123/5
of the up and coming players, nice to see ferguson, sears, cooper and smith have good days. smith was fortunate to survive wagnerball though.

Flem274*

123/5
soooo will be interesting who inherits the earth from southee/boult/wagner in 3-5 years. ferguson, henry, tickner, jamieson, kugglejuggle and sears all have something to them.

young, conway and seifert are chasing the boss' spot in 3-12 months.

when cdg gets bored in 3-5 years neesh and smith will hopefully still be in the mix.

blundell, seifert (pls work with his catching) and phillips for watling.

ataraxia

International Coach
Ravindra in the mix as well. I feel Southee will keep chugging longer than Boult/Wagner especially since he's fallen out of favour in ODIs but that's just a thought.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
When is Rippon eligible for NZ?

9 wickets out of 16 in November plus an innings of 98. I can't imagine Santner ever doing that at first class level.

jcas0167

International Debutant
When is Rippon eligible for NZ?

9 wickets out of 16 in November plus an innings of 98. I can't imagine Santner ever doing that at first class level.
Feb/March next year? He switched allegiance to NZ in early 2017 according to this December 2017 ODT profile:

The 26-year-old switched allegiances 10 months ago when he signed a declaration of intent to qualify for New Zealand.

''The qualification time changed from four to three years ... and all associate nations have the same criteria as full members.

''The end goal is to play for the Black Caps. I think you've always got to push for higher honours and keep challenging yourself.

''For me, that is the next step. I've got a two-year period to try to get myself up to that level.''
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/rippon-forced-make-his-choice

nzfan

Bit of a weird season this one, now we start Ford trophy games for a while before breaking for Super Smash. Firebirds still missing players? Tom Blundell, Neesham, Ravindra unavailable due to NZ A duties? That'll mean the likes of Jacob Bhula becomes available. Andrew Fletcher will be back in the team as you'd expect and Lauchie Johns last year finals' performer for firebirds. Fraser Colson looked good in the last game in the second dig vs Aces. Likely to keep his spot? I was enjoying following Plunkett Shield and just when it looked like there is good balance between bat and ball we start on one dayers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I always get so irritated by the Ford Trophy. I like ODIs just fine, but man List A games are the pits.