• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Literally zero Indian fans picking kohli over Smith

Kohli overhyped by stupid Indians REEE
. . .

Debate on CW gives almost zero adjustment for conditions. Once Kohli and Smith are standardized for conditions, the difference between them is modest (I think before the Ashes Kohli was even slightly ahead). Smith is probably ahead after the Ashes but I doubt by much. I use PEWS standardized averages as a benchmark
is this guy serious

bit of an extreme reaction from you anyway OS

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Smith's defo ahead by a decent margin even if not by as much as the average would suggest. I don't think Kohli and Williamson are the same level though - Kane averages 35 in India, 31 in England , 21 in SA and 27 in SL, Kohli's faults are less pronounced - averaging 36 in England and WI. In the countries they have both played in Kohli has a better average in almost every one except for WI where Kane is better and Australia where they average the same.

vcs

Literally zero Indian fans picking kohli over Smith

Kohli overhyped by stupid Indians REEE
He's also overrated by the ICC Rankings, how dare they rank him as the best batsman for close to a year. Must be run by Indians.

TheJediBrah

Even if Kohli is overhyped that's just Indian cricket. When you get a player that good. It happened with Sachin for over 2 decades. Dhoni for a bit as well.

Compare it to fans of Kallis or Sangakkara, not even the same ballpark.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Even if Kohli is overhyped that's just Indian cricket. When you get a player that good. It happened with Sachin for over 2 decades. Dhoni for a bit as well.
Casuals don't hype him for tests anyway, it's mostly for LOIs where he is head and shoulders above the rest of the fab four.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Even if ma1978 is Indian, his opinion means nothing when painting Indians of a certain colour - kind of like mine with Australia.

Kohli is awesome. He is the best human batsman in the world at the moment. Kohli is due another blinder series and then we will all be considering if the gap is close again. Smith in his last two series has one grouse and one fail. It is all about how big he can go befoer he comes up against India or South Africa again. Smith did barely beter than what Cook did in an Ashes, so you could say Smith is just a slight improvement over cook - excpt that he has a few series of this kind of awesome under his belt. We'll see how he fares into the next few years.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Analysis in cricket is infantile compared to say, baseball or football or basketball.
There's zero discussion or analytic support around adjustment for conditions.

And this is not just a Kohli vs Smith argument. It can be used to support Kallis or Alec Stewart being highly underrated. It can be used to say AB We Villiers should be considered an ATG test batsman.

But the gulf between Kohli and Smith is not wide.

sunilz

International Regular
Since it is so fashionable to accuse Indian fan base of being biased without any proof , I am giving you an example of Anglo- Australian biasedness of certain cricket commentator with proof .

When Richie Benaud selected his ATXI , not even 1 WI pace bowler made his initial short list of fast bowlers ? Can there be more biasedness than this ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Benaud's_Greatest_XI

Then we also know that in Bradman's alleged ATXI there were 7 Australians . And these guys accuse other countries of overhyping their cricketers .

Chrish

International Debutant
Well Benaud did select Richards from WI, didn't he?

Edit also Sobers

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Are you seriously suggesting that all those pace bowlers were better than Marshall, Ambrose or Garner ?
Well he selected Imran probably because he was going for an all-rounder. Then other pace-man is Lillie. Barnes and Warne were spinners. Bit unconventional but I have seen lots of Cricket pundits choosing two spinners in their Xi. And Sobers can provide support as an all-rounder.

Not the Xi I would go for myself but seems sufficiently strong to me. I don't see any obvious bias that you insisting.

OverratedSanity

Smith's defo ahead by a decent margin even if not by as much as the average would suggest. I don't think Kohli and Williamson are the same level though - Kane averages 35 in India, 31 in England , 21 in SA and 27 in SL, Kohli's faults are less pronounced - averaging 36 in England and WI. In the countries they have both played in Kohli has a better average in almost every one except for WI where Kane is better and Australia where they average the same.
Kohli has proven himself capable of having some inexplicable stinkers from time to time. Kane even when he disappoints never has a full series putting up tailenders numbers.

Kohli v Williamson is definitely closer than Smith v kohli is at this point.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
. . .

is this guy serious

bit of an extreme reaction from you anyway OS
This is how we felt when people used to rate Lara, Ponting or even Dravid ahead of Sachin when Sachin was batting at his peak. Indian fans then get accused and generalized of bias while Smith's fans do not get any of it right now.

vcs

Kohli has proven himself capable of having some inexplicable stinkers from time to time. Kane even when he disappoints never has a full series putting up tailenders numbers.

Kohli v Williamson is definitely closer than Smith v kohli is at this point.
*one series*

That England series gets highlighted for Kohli over and over again because he gets compared to Smith. Pretty much every other batsman in history has one or two bad patches.