• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Dale Steyn stack up historically

How good was Steyn as a pace bowler?

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
I really don't want to come across as a detractor of Dale Steyn whose bowling i enjoyed very much. There are many aspects in rating great bowlers and getting the oppos best bat is one such aspect which imo McGrath did better than anyone. Sure there are some other aspects in wich Steyn excelled McGrath

MrPrez

International Debutant
ffs point being that he got the best in his time so often.

Show me an equivalent for Steyn?
Found this on everyone's actual favourite cricket forum (/s).

Of course, Clarke, Sehwag and Trott aren't the same as Lara, but they were all key players for their respective teams.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Daemon's stat more telling than mine for sure.

Of course, it is worth highlighting that McGrath played with Warne a lot, who would also have been employed as a primary strike bowler against opposition threats.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am pretty confident about the numbers. It might not be 100% faultless, but it would be somewhat close.
Head to head stats that cricinfo published were basically average of batsmen in innings where the batsman was dismissed by given bowler. At one point Tendulkar's average against Akhtar according to cricinfo was <1 run.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I am to young to have any real memories Marshall in his prime, but I've seen enough of the six truly great fast bowlers since - Akram, Ambrose, Donald, McGrath, Steyn and Younis - and some other very special ones like Bond, Rabada and Avatar.

Steyn had it all! He was as beautiful to watch as Akram, as terrifying as Donald and had the consistency and statistical superiority of Mcgrath. And he played in the absolutely most soul crushing batsman friendly era. I can comfortably say he was the most complete of this time.

How you call anyone the GOAT in a world where Malcolm Marshall lived is a hard sell, but he's certainly well in the conversation.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
ffs point being that he got the best in his time so often.

Show me an equivalent for Steyn?
As has already been mentioned Clarke's 9 times... most of which was when he was Aus best batsmen.

My point is that people love to make definitive statements about something they believe to be true, that does not make it true. We can go down the stats rabbit holes etc to try vindicate our points. You believe McGrath was a better bowler and believe he did better against the best batsmen in opposition team. I don't. I think that Steyn is a better bowler than McGrath and did just as well against the best batsmen of his time. And now we can argue to death our point of views pulling out stats to back our points up in some arbitrary way.

But definitive statements based off personal opinions are amusing to me.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I would rather pay to watch Steyn than McGrath, as would I think most neutral cricket fans. That has to be worth something.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Head to head stats that cricinfo published were basically average of batsmen in innings where the batsman was dismissed by given bowler. At one point Tendulkar's average against Akhtar according to cricinfo was <1 run.
He said gets it from another website cricmetrics. Even assuming the data they have is accurate, I really doubt if they actually have player v player data going back to 1993 for the entirety of McGrath's career.

Bolo

State Captain
Highest averaging bat in the opposition team

Steyn: 112 wickets
McGrath: 66 wickets
Is this right? Seems a bit improbable that steyn would be that far ahead, particularly considering how many more career wickets McGrath took.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is this right? Seems a bit improbable that steyn would be that far ahead, particularly considering how many more career wickets McGrath took.
I think It's a completely pointless measure more like it. Something that could be very much down to chance or myriad other factors. And yeah, I don't trust Daemon's ad-hoc statsing either.

trundler

66 vs 112 would make more sense if that's only going back to the early to mid 2000s. I don't think they had ball by ball data before that. Needless to say that kind of renders the whole state pointless since it excludes the majority of McGrath's career.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Found this on everyone's actual favourite cricket forum (/s).

Of course, Clarke, Sehwag and Trott aren't the same as Lara, but they were all key players for their respective teams.
Folks at PakPassion making same error with h2h records. Cricinfo needs to pull that **** off the site.

Logan

U19 Captain
Does anyone know how Steyn’s stats (average and SR) stack up against McGrath and Marshall when compared to the bowlers he played with during their respective time period?

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

There's no way those stats are accurate. It's probably Steyn's whole career vs half of McGrath's or something along those lines