• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain Quits Cricket

a massive zebra

International Captain
Good.

Its time to give the younger players a go.

He was a good England captain who had many good ideas and did rather well, although when things were going badly he sometimes became rather stubborn and refused to change tactics that were not working. Then again he was probably the best captain England have had since they last one the ashes. As a Test batsman he was good without rising to the highest levels, although in a crisis he was by far England's best player. :)

However, my dad knows someone who went to school with him and he said he was an arrogant vindictive person who would not pay up when he lost bets and called anyone a cheat when they beat him at something. :@

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
You truly are a troll of the highest order. Not content with making an ass of yourself over the fact that Harmison keeps taking wickets against your express desires, you are now as pleased as punch that Hussain has retired. I bet you begrudge him the century on monday too, don't you?

Rhyme that.
Truly a troll of the highest (dis)order
You slogs away at hard men as if you were Alan Border
Any sportsmanship you have is purely a farce
You don't seem content on making yourself an ****
When Harmy takes wickets against your desires
Or when Hussain says that it's time he retires
Did you also begrudge him on the day of his ton?
If you were after a lack of respect I can say that you've won.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
Truly a troll of the highest (dis)order
You slogs away at hard men as if you were Alan Border
Any sportsmanship you have is purely a farce
You don't seem content on making yourself an ****
When Harmy takes wickets against your desires
Or when Hussain says that it's time he retires
Did you also begrudge him on the day of his ton?
If you were after a lack of respect I can say that you've won.
Very good. :p

When did I say anything about begrudging Hussain his matchwinning century?

Harmison taking wickets is not against my desires, he has just done nothing worthy of being compared to McGrath or Larwood, which some people on here seem to believe. Running through the West Indies on bouncy wickets or hammering Bangladesh or Zimbabwe does not give him the right to be thought of in such high regard as some of you people make out. When he takes 32 wickets at an average of 18 in the next Ashes series, or runs through India, then you can call him a great bowler on a par with McGrath or Larwood. But that obviously will not happen.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I deleted that rant that I wrote
thinking I was a miserable scrote.
And now what do I see,
staring back down at me?
The same immortalised in a quote.

(sorry, Zebra)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Best Wishes to Nas on a great career.
As the great Sunil Gavaskar reportedly said at the time of his retirement- It is much better to go when people want you to stay, rather than stay when people want you to go.
I am a bit disppointed that he didn't feel he could've helped Essex a little bit in continuing on in FC cricket.

On another note, I am a bit disappointed in the level of antagonism shown to MZ for expressing his opinion. I may not agree with his opinion or comments, but he has the right to express his opinion without being called a "Troll" (just because we don't like what he said).

Loony BoB

International Captain
Sorry, I was just taking up an opportunity. This rhyming is more entertaining than the cricket at the moment. :D

No hard feelings, I'm sure - if there are, I'm happy for the quote to be taken away. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Sorry, I was just taking up an opportunity. This rhyming is more entertaining than the cricket at the moment. :D

No hard feelings, I'm sure - if there are, I'm happy for the quote to be taken away. :)
There are times when I do feel a fool.
I mistook a zebra for a mule
when it's me who's the ass.
No, we'll let this one pass.
(Shut up you, tooextracool)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
Best Wishes to Nas on a great career.
As the great Sunil Gavaskar reportedly said at the time of his retirement- It is much better to go when people want you to stay, rather than stay when people want you to go.
I am a bit disppointed that he didn't feel he could've helped Essex a little bit in continuing on in FC cricket.

On another note, I am a bit disappointed in the level of antagonism shown to MZ for expressing his opinion. I may not agree with his opinion or comments, but he has the right to express his opinion without being called a "Troll" (just because we don't like what he said).
If you notice, I gave an apology -
Incidentally, how's your mythology?
Jason retrieved the fleece
and henceforth kept his peace -
so please don't lecture me about trollogy.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Hullo all :cool:

JASON said:
In the press conference, he mentioned his poor fielding performances recently for Essex contributed to giving up FC too.

anzac

International Debutant
yep well done to Hussain.............

a fine if not spectacular career but what a brilliant way to finish & to walk away a hero.............

:thumbs_up

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
His biggest regret; not being able to stand square with the Aussies on the fifth day at The Oval or Sydney, 2-2 with the Ashes up for grabs.

To be honest he might've had to play 200 Tests not 100 to enable that to happen, unfortunately :dry:

Loony BoB

International Captain
And now he's a full time commentator on Sky Sports. That was fast! We'll hear him on June 24th in the Natwest series.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Harmison taking wickets is not against my desires, he has just done nothing worthy of being compared to McGrath or Larwood, which some people on here seem to believe.
My point, dimwit, is that after 17 Tests, McGrath had still done nothing to make him worthy of being compared to the McGrath of today, yet they appear to be one and the same person,.

You keep stating that it is "obvious" that Harmison will never do anything which you can possibly rate as being any good when there is nothing obvious about it - unless it was equally obvious, after 17 Tests, that McGrath would never amount to much.

How do you like your words, by the way? Pickled, roasted, fried or sliced up in a nice salad? I'd just like to know, in advance of the time when you have to sit there and eat them.

Cheers,

Mike

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
And now he's a full time commentator on Sky Sports. That was fast! We'll hear him on June 24th in the Natwest series.
He's done the odd commentary stint on sky over the last 2 years. He was one of the sky commentators for some of the Twenty20 games last year. So its no surprise sky would snap up such a big name to commentate even if he isnt that good at first.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
However, my dad knows someone who went to school with him and he said he was an arrogant vindictive person who would not pay up when he lost bets and called anyone a cheat when they beat him at something. :@

Well my uncle's best mate's dog's girlfriend's owner knows someone who once met him and said he was a nice bloke. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Well my uncle's best mate's dog's girlfriend's owner knows someone who once met him and said he was a nice bloke. :p
Gave the dog a bone too.

Sun expose: "Nasser Hussain in bestiality exposure - probe"