Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bradman vs The others

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by badgerhair
    My estimate is a rather more parsimonious 72.63, but there you go.
    Thats almost 30 runs off his career average, or almost a third, far too much in my view. Do you seriously think McCabe would only have averaged 32 if he played today (his average minus a third) or Sutcliffe about 40?

72.63 is roughly what Hayden has been averaging since 2001. Surely there is a huge gap between these two.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    ...which is considerably less than 99.
    Yes but if you are averaging over 50 you have hardly been 'seriously troubled', which was the point I was making.

PY
    You'll no doubt be able to explain that, given that Bradman played in the era of the flattest tracks ever known, under an lbw Law which favoured the batsman outrageously, with fielding standards abysmal by today's standard, and in front of smaller stumps.
    An imposter!!!

Where's the real "Cheers, Mike" ?

Why were they the flattest? I was under the impression that they were uncovered and this created huge problems for batsman?

Plus, the fact that averages in that era were better than they are now could be put down to a number of facts, not just that the pitches were flat. Granted you can't really use anything else as a comparision because of the timespan but to use averages would IMO be wrong as it has so many inaccuracies ie. ball used, bats and equipment in general.

I think Chicane has a point that things are a lot easier in one sense for batsman nowadays purely because they don't really have to fear for their life like batsman of yesteryear did.
    Last edited by PY; 26-05-2004 at 02:51 PM.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    I seriously doubt Warne would have troubled him considering Tendulkar utterly humiliated Warne most times they faced eachother. Bradman himself admitted that Tendulkar played in a similar manner to the Don, but the Australian had a hugely superior record which suggests he may have been an upgraded Tendulkar.
    The best batsmen tend to have had few troubles with Warne (and Murali) but those batsmen are experts at playing spin. As has been mentioned before, Bradman seldom truly had his expertise at playing spin tested.

Who would trouble him? I'd say Wasim in his prime with heavy cloud cover at Perth.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Eggs Champion!
    Some amazing Don Bradman Stats

............................... M I NO Runs HS Avge 100s 50s
    Record in matches won 30 43 6 4813 299* 130.08 23 4
    Next best - Inzamam... 40 62 12 3785 329 75.70 14 14

6 200s in 3 consecutive series (3 against England in 1930, 1 against West Indies in1930/31, 2 against South Africa in 1931/32). No one else has more than 3 200s in 3 consecutive series.

............................... 200s/Matches/Matches per 200
    Bradman.................... 12/52/4.33
    Hammond................... 7/85/12.14
    Lara.......................... 7/106/15.14
    Javed Miandad............ 6/124/20.66
    MS Atapattu.............. 5/71/14.20
    R Dravid..................... 5/78/15.50
    Zaheer Abbas............. 4/78/19.50
    L Hutton..................... 4/79/19.75
    GS Chappell................ 4/87/21.75
    CG Greenidge.............. 4/108/27.00
    SM Gavaskar............... 4/125/31.25

Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    As has been mentioned before, Bradman seldom truly had his expertise at playing spin tested.
    So O'Reilly, Grimmett and Verity were poor were they?

U19 Vice-Captain
    Thats almost 30 runs off his career average, or almost a third, far too much in my view. Do you seriously think McCabe would only have averaged 32 if he played today (his average minus a third) or Sutcliffe about 40?

72.63 is roughly what Hayden has been averaging since 2001. Surely there is a huge gap between these two.
    If Hayden manages to average 72.63 over his whole career, lasting until at least 2012, then you will be able to make that comparison. That Hayden has been batting at Bradmanesque levels for three years is by no means unreasonable as an assertion.

Also, Bradman's average was partly inflated because there was an enormous amount of time available for him to score his runs, a big difference from today. Tests in Australia were timeless, and in England a four-day Test match could quite happily accommodate 500 overs. Today's restrictions would require him to declare on 175* rather than go on to 300 more often than not.

The lesser players you mention would not have had to cap their scoring to anything like the same extent, so their averages would be coreespondingly less affected.

Cheers,

Mike

Pinball Champion!
    Im not sure of the standard of quick bowling in the 1930's... When watching old footage it looks distinctly poor... Maybe thats a product of the old footage or me being cynical...

Anyway, if he had been given a modern cricket bat, and put up in front of todays Zimbabweans and Bangladeshis, he would be averaging about 145....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Why couldn't you just add five more?
    You talking to IR?

Eggs Champion!
    If Hayden manages to average 72.63 over his whole career, lasting until at least 2012, then you will be able to make that comparison. That Hayden has been batting at Bradmanesque levels for three years is by no means unreasonable as an assertion.

Also, Bradman's average was partly inflated because there was an enormous amount of time available for him to score his runs, a big difference from today. Tests in Australia were timeless, and in England a four-day Test match could quite happily accommodate 500 overs. Today's restrictions would require him to declare on 175* rather than go on to 300 more often than not.

The lesser players you mention would not have had to cap their scoring to anything like the same extent, so their averages would be coreespondingly less affected.

Cheers,

Mike
    That did not happen though. Bradman only made 300 twice and an innings of 175* would have done more for his average than an innings of 254, which was not untypical for him.

Eggs Champion!
    Anyway, if he had been given a modern cricket bat, and put up in front of todays Zimbabweans and Bangladeshis, he would be averaging about 145....
    Well he averaged 201 against South Africa and 178 against India. They were probably no worse than the current Zimbabweans or Bangladeshis, so it would probably exceed 145.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chicane
    Why couldn't you just add five more?
    I could probably add about 30 more

Eggs Champion!
    Im not sure of the standard of quick bowling in the 1930's... When watching old footage it looks distinctly poor... Maybe thats a product of the old footage or me being cynical...
    Yeah Bill Bowes looks very unthreatening but had a very good Test record.

On the other hand Larwood looks seriously FAST and not as wayward as the likes of Harmison, yet Harmison has a better record.

It goes both ways really.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    So O'Reilly, Grimmett and Verity were poor were they?
    My mistake. I forgot about the great Indian bowlers - Akash O'Reilly, Avinash Grimmett and Narsingh Verity.

They didn't exactly bowl to him on the subcontinent, did they?

The Indian spin quartet of Bedi, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Venkat might've tested him.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information