• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia A in England 2019

aussie tragic

International Captain
Pattinson and Hazlewood rested from the Lions game, so Neser, Bird, Tremain, Holland is the confirmed bowling attack

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And also, names and numbers on Test shirts. Not a fan.
I'd be more than happy with this as a trade off for getting rid of the incessant loud advertising, count down BS, and voice overs at test matched. Just shut the **** up.

There's nothing more pleasurable than going to a game of cricket and actually being able to hear some on field chatter, and the general hum of life happening between overs.

God I am getting old.

Red

If you believe Head and Patterson are better players. I certainly believe Patterson is a better player and Head probably is as well. Of course if Khawaja is injured Smith could come in for him and the other three hold their spots.
I'm 100% certain Patterson is better than Labuschnage. I'm not convinced at all that Head is better than Labuschange, esp in England.

Red

Someone has to get dropped for Smith. I don't think we'd be talking about dropping him for someone else "just because", but someone's gotta and the other incumbents are better players.
I would drop Head for Smith. I really don't think Head has the technique to survive long term against good test teams. I'm starting to form the opinion that Labuschagne has a proper developed technique and is getting progressively better. Think selectors went with gut and picked a good one.

I guess if Pukovski isn't going to play (I'd like him to but he prob shouldnt, realistically) we'd look at:

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Labuschagne
Paine

If Usman isn't fit I guess Burns, Wade or Head comes in?

Personally I'd like to see Warner and Khawaja forming our long term opening partnership with Smith at 3, but eh.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugh. Patto I can understand but Haze would benefit more from getting more overs under his belt imo
While I love a good tour selection whinge as much as anyone, I feel it's likely that the guys who made the decision who to play or not play have a bit more information than us

Maybe he's pulled up sore or has a niggle, who knows. Maybe he has gastro. Maybe he's drunk

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
While I love a good tour selection whinge as much as anyone, I feel it's likely that the guys who made the decision who to play or not play have a bit more information than us

Maybe he's pulled up sore or has a niggle, who knows. Maybe he has gastro. Maybe he's drunk
Or the selectors feel Pattinson and Hazlewood are going to be in the Ashes squad so the other three are bowling for the last spot because Richardson is not going to be in the squad due to injury. They both will play the Australians Australia A game for one of the sides.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Selectors have named 25 players for the Australia A vs Australia XII (one player cover for Khawaja).

Bancroft, Bird, Burns, Carey, Cummins, Handscomb, Harris, Hazlewood, Holland, Head, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Lyon, M Marsh, Neser, Paine, Patterson, Pattinson, Pucovski, Siddle, Smith, Starc, Tremain, Wade, Warner

No real surprises with the 15 from the A squad, 7 from WC squad (maybe Carey a bolter) and the 3 County players we've been talking about.

I guess this also means that Jhye Richardson didn't recover and is out of the Ashes :(

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Selectors have named 25 players for the Australia A vs Australia XII (one player cover for Khawaja).

Bancroft, Bird, Burns, Carey, Cummins, Handscomb, Harris, Hazlewood, Holland, Head, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Lyon, M Marsh, Neser, Paine, Patterson, Pattinson, Pucovski, Siddle, Smith, Starc, Tremain, Wade, Warner

No real surprises with the 15 from the A squad, 7 from WC squad (maybe Carey a bolter) and the 3 County players we've been talking about.

I guess this also means that Jhye Richardson didn't recover and is out of the Ashes :(
Carey was always going to be the second wicketkeeper

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Two teams should be

Warner
Harris (or Burns)
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Burns
Bancroft
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Wade
Handscomb
Carey
Pattinson
Tremain
Bird
Holland

Mitch Marsh, Siddle and Neser missing out

But I think they are going with 12 per side some how so Siddle and Neser should be added, Mitch Marsh can **** off, should not be anywhere near this match.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year

Fair enough I guess, the actual people around the touring squad would probably have a better idea than some irrelevant dickhead in Adelaide.

Bird Tremain and Neser are all good domestic bowlers individually but as a pace attack it looks a little too samey for my liking

Flem274*

123/5
how is burns with that angled to cover defence these days? i can't remember ever watching bancroft bat either so im pretty curious to get some opinions on which should replace harris.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
how is burns with that angled to cover defence these days? i can't remember ever watching bancroft bat either so im pretty curious to get some opinions on which should replace harris.
He bats the same so I fear for him in Tests in England, but he did score 180 in Australia's most recent Test match, so he'd probably feel stiff to end up dumped for Bancroft (who I rate much higher, but who didn't do enough in his Tests before his ban to waltz back into the side over someone who just scored 180).

I'm not sure why someone necessarily has to come in for Harris though. Did he get injured last night or do you just really not rate him and assume he has to be dumped? I reckon he's probably the most likely of the three to play the first Test at the moment, although this A team game and the Ashes tour games afterwards could definitely change that.

Flem274*

123/5
He bats the same so I fear for him in Tests in England, but he did score 180 in Australia's most recent Test match, so he'd probably feel stiff to end up dumped for Bancroft (who I rate much higher, but who didn't do enough in his Tests before his ban to waltz back into the side over someone who just scored 180).

I'm not sure why someone necessarily has to come in for Harris though. Did he get injured last night or do you just really not rate him and assume he has to be dumped? I reckon he's probably the most likely of the three to play the first Test at the moment, although this A team game and the Ashes tour games afterwards could definitely change that.
i have a terrible memory but all i remember of harris over the summer were 20-40 scores and being picked on a bit of a langer meme and a few domestic scores.

i don't think he's a bad player but comes across as a massive place holder. a bit of a daniel flynn role.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i have a terrible memory but all i remember of harris over the summer were 20-40 scores and being picked on a bit of a langer meme and a few domestic scores.

i don't think he's a bad player but comes across as a massive place holder. a bit of a daniel flynn role.
Yeah but Burns is the ultimate place holder and I don't think Bancroft's extremely-similar-to-Harris Test record will see him waltz back in unless he dominates on tour either. The idea that a bunch of 20-40 scores and a few domestic scores in your first season is definitely not enough to hold your place in the Australian team is a bit of an outdated idea, especially when your competition is Joe Burns and someone who did pretty much exactly the same thing as you the summer earlier before getting suspended for cheating and missing 9 months worth of cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah but Burns is the ultimate place holder and I don't think Bancroft's extremely-similar-to-Harris Test record will see him waltz back in unless he dominates on tour either. The idea that a bunch of 20-40 scores and a few domestic scores in your first season is definitely not enough to hold your place in the Australian team is a bit of an outdated idea, especially when your competition is Joe Burns and someone who did pretty much exactly the same thing as you the summer earlier before getting suspended for cheating and missing 9 months worth of cricket.
yea but warner is walking into one of those opening spots. i think this a tour is a shoot out for 2 remaining top order spots between 3 players, and always the chance of shaun marsh making a return.

i legit cant remember who aus played after india or their final test eleven of the summer. 10 years ago i would have. im getting old. im going to do more actual research before rounding off my opinion hang on.

Flem274*

123/5
ah it was bloody sri lanka. right, well in that top 4 warner and smith have to play. that leaves burns, harris, bancroft and uzzie fighting for two spots. harris could easily be left out here if he doesn't pile runs on pre-series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yea but warner is walking into one of those opening spots. i think this a tour is a shoot out for 2 remaining top order spots between 3 players
Yep, completely agree. But you phrased your question as if Harris definitely wasn't playing and it was effectively a shoot out between two players. All three are a chance for that spot and if the first Test was played tomorrow I reckon Harris would probably be the one picked.

aussie tragic

International Captain
ah it was bloody sri lanka. right, well in that top 4 warner and smith have to play. that leaves burns, harris, bancroft and uzzie fighting for two spots. harris could easily be left out here if he doesn't pile runs on pre-series.
Harris and Burns just hit hundreds in the last A game and Khawaja is injured so we could see Warner, Harris, Burns, Smith top 4 (Bancroft just made 8 in current county game but made a hundred in his last outing)