• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Funny incidents on the cricket field

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cricket always brings in some funny incident which you have never watched, no matter how long you have been watching cricket.

The cricket ball going into the glass of beer of the bloke in lords was such a funny incident.

Lets keep putting other funny incidents we can remember on this thread.

One which always makes me laugh is from a test in 1997 between West Indies and India. Anil kummble was batting and the ball hit him in the 'unmentionables' as Ravi Shastri always puts it.

Kumble just went flat on the pitch and lay there on his back for about 5 minutes. Thats the most memorable such incident I have seen of the millions which keep happening.

Craig

World Traveller
Mark Richardson v India last year when he made that century, he kept trying to sweep the ball, but was suffering with cramps and he keep going down with a cry of:"Aaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh" like he had been shot by a hidden sniper.

Mark Richardson v India in when India toured, he was a bit disappionted and threw the bat out of his hands by accident in disgust.

The winner for me is this:

Neil McKenzie v Australia in Telstra Dome (ex Colonial Stadium) in the first ODI held there. Steve Waugh hit a cover drive off Shaun Pollack, McKenzie was at deep point and chased it, dived, normally he would of got there, except he plugged, he just stopped, and his pants fell down, and looked up with a sheepish look on his face.

I wonder if he's been able to live that down in the South African dressing room?

Another one was when Mike Hussey broke his bat for WA in a Mercantile Mutal match (before it became the ING Cup) against Victoria at the MCG. Hussey played pretty well and got a ton, and IIRC WA won, but the broken bat was the funny part of it.

chicane

State Captain
-Inzamam-ul-Haq climbing into the stands and beating a guy to pulp at Feroz Shah Kotla Delhi, after repeated chants of 'Alu-Alu'(Potato)
-Vinod Kambli almost trying to put out a fire on his butt after he slid on his butt while fielding
-Harbhajan Singh digging his nose and caught on camera countless times.
-Billy Bowden's signals, esp. the ones for six and leg-byes.
-Sourav Ganguly's antics after Natwest 2002
-Shane Warne shaving off his chic hair after the pounding in Kolkatta in the summer heat.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
chicane said:
-Inzamam-ul-Haq climbing into the stands and beating a guy to pulp at Feroz Shah Kotla Delhi, after repeated chants of 'Alu-Alu'(Potato)
That was in a Sahara Cup game in Toronto. Inzamam was fielding at the boundary and a guy with a loud speaker kept shouting alu alu. Finally it got to the nerves of Inzy. Mushtaq Ahmed was the 12th man (not totally sure if it was Mushy) and Inzy asked him to bring a bat from the dressing room. Mushtaq followed the instruction and the rest, as they say, is history! :d

chicane

State Captain
Pratyush said:
That was in a Sahara Cup game in Toronto. Inzamam was fielding at the boundary and a guy with a loud speaker kept shouting alu alu. Finally it got to the nerves of Inzy. Mushtaq Ahmed was the 12th man (not totally sure if it was Mushy) and Inzy asked him to bring a bat from the dressing room. Mushtaq followed the instruction and the rest, as they say, is history! :d
Oh right....I was watching highlights of the match in Delhi where Kumble picked up the tenner in an innings and there too all thru they were taunting Inzi.....They didn't show the incident and I thought they may have skipped it.

Scallywag

Banned
When I wasnt so old a Aussie supporter released a piglett with Gatting written on it with big red letters. Watching everyone chasing this little pig trying to get it off the field was very funny.

chicane

State Captain
Pratyush said:
And they played the Sahara matches in whites so I kinda confused it for the Delhi test. :wacko:

PY

International Coach
Devon Malcolm breaking his bat always brings a smile to my face as I have no idea how he managed to connect.

Part of his bat went towards cover and the ball sailed over mid-wicket. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Devon Malcolm breaking his bat always brings a smile to my face as I have no idea how he managed to connect.

Part of his bat went towards cover and the ball sailed over mid-wicket. :D
Similar thing happened in WC2003...

Breadcrumb moment - Younis Khan (Pakistan)

With the scoring rate way behind the clock, Younis decides that it's time to start throwing the bat. Brad Hogg bowls him a juicy full toss, the batsman's eyes light up, the ball loops 25 yards to Ricky Ponting at midwicket and the sixth wicket falls. Damien Martyn cleverly fields the bat one-handed on the half-volley at deep backward square leg.

Craig

World Traveller
Martin Snedden was given out LBW off Kapil Dev IIRC, he was trapped in front and his bat went towards square leg.

This happened in the match where Hadlee picked up his 400th Test wicket (he bowled Sanjay Mandraker).

Sehwag309

Banned
chicane said:
Oh right....I was watching highlights of the match in Delhi where Kumble picked up the tenner in an innings and there too all thru they were taunting Inzi.....They didn't show the incident and I thought they may have skipped it.
U should see the toronto ground, u can easily walk in the game. Enter the stadium and u r on the field in less than a minute

Linda

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Similar thing happened in WC2003...

Breadcrumb moment - Younis Khan (Pakistan)

With the scoring rate way behind the clock, Younis decides that it's time to start throwing the bat. Brad Hogg bowls him a juicy full toss, the batsman's eyes light up, the ball loops 25 yards to Ricky Ponting at midwicket and the sixth wicket falls. Damien Martyn cleverly fields the bat one-handed on the half-volley at deep backward square leg.
Told you he was a brilliant feildsman..

Two things I can remember, one involving the great man himself. One of the Sri Lankan batsman last summer ran over to Marto down at point somwehere and asked him to tie up his shoelace. I have no idea why he ran all that way...

Another was just this summer when those crazy Zimbabweans were saying 'Hello, hello' into the stump mic. I absolutely fell about laughing.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Linda said:
Told you he was a brilliant feildsman..

Two things I can remember, one involving the great man himself. One of the Sri Lankan batsman last summer ran over to Marto down at point somwehere and asked him to tie up his shoelace. I have no idea why he ran all that way...

Another was just this summer when those crazy Zimbabweans were saying 'Hello, hello' into the stump mic. I absolutely fell about laughing.
Hell, that one made me laugh just by imagining it! Haha, those nutters. :D

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Something ive never seen before was a spin bowler (Batty) hitting a batsmen (Sarwan) in the box and flooring Sarwan for a good 10 mins. Its not all about speed i guess :)

chicane

State Captain
Speaking of the *box* in the recent Ind-Pak test series, Mohammad Sami I think it was, whose box-guard cracked! Lucky for him it absorbed enuf of the impact..Incredible. Even funnier was when Shep was trying to figure out how exactly it might've happened :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chicane said:
Speaking of the *box* in the recent Ind-Pak test series, Mohammad Sami I think it was, whose box-guard cracked! Lucky for him it absorbed enuf of the impact..Incredible. Even funnier was when Shep was trying to figure out how exactly it might've happened :lol:
I can't remember if I was doing the match coverage that day, but I certainly saw that incident.

The old "rectum? darned near shattered 'em" joke flashed through my mind at the time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1.Fanie de Villiers bowling a paper cup to Murray Goodwin...
2.Pat Symcox being handed a beer can full of urine by an Aussie spectator, and then pouring it back over him...
3. That chick from Pretoria who had the cameras on her during on of the SA test matches, so she proceeded to take her top off in front of millions of viewers... (And all the SA players watching the big screen)