• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

SeamUp

International Coach
Cobras are in Potch playing North West in prep for the 4-day season. Janneman hundred and 50s for P.Malan, Bedingham and Verreynne. Nothing changes.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rivash Gobind has confirmed Rudi Second will keep over Sine Qeshile when the 4-day comp starts next week.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good. Let that man concentrate on his batting. I wonder if it was an order from higher up?
Got to think so. Actually think Qeshile looks a decent keeper too.

So tough coming up with Warriors batting order next week. Who bats 7 ?

Moore
Cloete

Breetzke
Vallie
Smuts
Qeshile
Second

If they play Ngoepe over Breetzke/Vallie he will bat 7 but he doesn't deserve to be in the team over those 2.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We got too many of them for a change !
Been here before... always felt sorry for Pothas.

I mean realistically, unless injury or he drops the gloves, QDK is around for at least another 8 years? That means you have to basically be a teenager now to get in to the SA team as a wicket-keeper in the future.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Been here before... always felt sorry for Pothas.

I mean realistically, unless injury or he drops the gloves, QDK is around for at least another 8 years? That means you have to basically be a teenager now to get in to the SA team as a wicket-keeper in the future.
Agreed. Just need to have an AB (batsman first & cover keeper) on tour who can back him up. Most likely Qeshile.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Moore
Cloete

Breetzke
Vallie
Smuts
Qeshile
Second

If they play Ngoepe over Breetzke/Vallie he will bat 7 but he doesn't deserve to be in the team over those 2.
Looks about right. Ngoepe would be a pure quota selection, for no purpose. Hopefully enough in bowling that it does not happen.

Dendarii

International Debutant
We got too many of them for a change !
Are coaches possibly encouraging young batsman to give the gloves a go to add another string to their bow and give them a potential advantage when it comes to selection? If there's a choice between two players of similar ability, the one who can keep stands a better chance of getting the nod even if there's already a keeper in the side as it never hurts to have someone in the team able to keep in an emergency.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks about right. Ngoepe would be a pure quota selection, for no purpose. Hopefully enough in bowling that it does not happen.
Think Smuts is going to be the spinner. He has no test future so I would bat him 7, Qeshile 6, Second 5

bowlers will be Birch, Sipamla, Magala and another (probably Stuurman).

SeamUp

International Coach
Are coaches possibly encouraging young batsman to give the gloves a go to add another string to their bow and give them a potential advantage when it comes to selection? If there's a choice between two players of similar ability, the one who can keep stands a better chance of getting the nod even if there's already a keeper in the side as it never hurts to have someone in the team able to keep in an emergency.
Quite possibly. Maybe it is seen more attractive to be an all-rounder who is a keeper in modern cricket.

Not many batsmen who bowl part-timers around these days because of it :D

I believe Zubayr bowls leg-breaks. Hope he keeps working on them.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Provincial games this week.

KZN Inland

Hollywoodbets KZN Inland Squad v Central Gauteng Lions
Johnny Riekert, Sthabiso Zungu, Joel Veeran, Luke Schlemmer (Captain), Mangaliso Mosehle, Kushen Kishun, Gareth Dukes, Tyron Koen, Kurtlyn Mannikam, Athi Maphosa, Lwandiswa Zuma, Nduduzo Mfoza, Rob Frylinck.
Management: Yusuf Abdullah (Head Coach), Ahmed Amla (Assistant Coach)

*Michael Booth and Kyle Nipper will join the squad for the 50 over game on Sunday.
KZN Coastal

Hollywoodbets KZN Coastal v South Western Districts Squad
Mishkal Ramsaroop, Michael Erlank, Khalipha Cele, Blayde Capell, Calvin Savage (captain), Brad Porteous, Smangaliso Nhlebela, Zakariya Paruk, Matthew Pollard, Thula Ngcobo.
Management: Roger Telemachus (Head Coach), Thoks Zulu (Assistant Coach)
Basically confirms for the Dolphins next week (with Sarel Erwee and Keith Dudgeon injured)

1. Vaughn van Jaarsveld
2. Grant Roelofsen
3. Marques Ackerman
4. Cody Chetty
5. Khaya Zondo (c)
6. Jason Oakes (wk)
7. Andile Phehlukwayo
8. Eathan Bosch
9. Prenelan Subrayen
10. Daryn Dupavillon
11. Okuhle Cele

12. Sibz Makhanya
13. Kerwin Mungroo

MrPrez

International Debutant
To be fair I'm pretty sure you were about five years old then :laugh:
Was 6 tbh.

But yes, while I was a rabid cricket fan from a young age, I must admit that the only recollection I have from that game was owning a Proteas shirt that fit me like a dress, and being fascinated by the name "Deep Dasgupta"

MrPrez

International Debutant
Got to think so. Actually think Qeshile looks a decent keeper too.

So tough coming up with Warriors batting order next week. Who bats 7 ?

Moore
Cloete

Breetzke
Vallie
Smuts
Qeshile
Second

That's a ridiculously talented batting line-up.

SeamUp

International Coach
That's a ridiculously talented batting line-up.
No senior pro's like Colin Ackermann and Colin Ingram either. Really is one of the more exciting teams to watch just like last season. Even the young quicks like Sipamla and Nortje.

Nice interview with the 2 young guns in the batting.

Breetzke : https://cricketfanaticsmag.com/i-want-to-play-match-winning-knocks-matthew-breetzke/

Qeshile : https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/the-herald-south-africa/20191001/282093458473174

Great to see Eastern Cape cricket producing serious players again for national interest. Always been one of our traditional producing areas.