• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just wanted to point out that rugby league is no orphan when it comes to bad behviour. Cricket, Aussie Rules football, soccer, etc. all of them have players who have terrible off-field behaviour which Australia as a society encourages and facilitates. Why? Maybe we wish we were in their position?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Where is the roll my eyes and scoff at a ridiculous suggestion emoticon...?
Sorry buddy, but I think thats taking it a bit far

PY

International Coach
Are you trying to say you wouldn't want to be Damien Martyn? ;)

PS Happy Birthday btw. :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
I think that every1 should be strip searched,and all luggage thoroughly gone through before boarding a plane..because of 9/11
We're halfway there...

PY

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Just wanted to point out that rugby league is no orphan when it comes to bad behviour. Cricket, Aussie Rules football, soccer, etc. all of them have players who have terrible off-field behaviour which Australia as a society encourages and facilitates. Why? Maybe we wish we were in their position?
I agree with you there in that the UK and Australia and the 'Western' (never understood with Japan and Australia being 'Western') world in general, Joe Public dreams of being able to go to glitzy parties, big cars and lots of money and therefore will perpetuate the situation in hope of them one day being involved in it all.

We also don't really do much to people who do mis-behave badly. Should they be treated any different from normal people........fundamentally, no but life isn't that simple and these people are ambassadors to their countries and icons to the public.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Did I just read that right? It is not only sportspeople that misbehave with them. I am in so much shock when I read this that I just had to reply. So sportsman with no mobile phones? Interesting because they would have no contact to anyone without them. They are training 90% of the time so can't be by a landline. I can't believe that someone actually thought that solved things.

ANSWER: NO, NO and NO - do you really want them to have no life at all

Waughney

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Let them do whatever they like - it gives us something to chuckle about. Some sportsmen are idiots, but (unfortunately for them) they are in the public eye and consequently the general public are interested in EVERYTHING they do. They are celebrities - 'C' list for the most part, but celebrities all the same.

Actually, I think we ought to encourage them to be idiots (although some need little invitation).
:@ I personally know the father of the Bulldogs rape victim, it's easy to say its funny but its not. It is a very traumatic experience and isn't something that I find very amusing.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
If it starts through cell phones then has anyone ever heard of ringing up your cell phone company and getting the number banned??????

I have had to do that to an ordinary person and it made my life much better.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
:@ I personally know the father of the Bulldogs rape victim, it's easy to say its funny but its not. It is a very traumatic experience and isn't something that I find very amusing.
I fail to see the relevance between what I said and what you seem to think I implied.

Waughney

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I fail to see the relevance between what I said and what you seem to think I implied.
OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. Just previously there was a discussion on the behavior of rugby league players and just afterwards you said something about letting sportsmen do as they please, a bit of a chuckle, when some sportsmen have done shocking things (eg. bulldogs rape) which aren't amusing. Having known someone affected by that I didn't exactly agree with it. So I said that somethings aren't good for a chuckle and are indeed traumatic. I wasn't implying that you found such things funny but that that type of attitude is an uninformed one and people are deeply affected by the actions of some sportsmen and so it isn't funny. Again sorry for the misunderstanding :cool: