• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2019 MCG Boxing day test tickets

IKWT

Cricket Spectator
I'm a Kiwi coming over for this. I know in the past Boxing day itself has sold out . I don't know how likely it is this year, but I still want to find out what the best way of guaranteeing decent tickets is.

I've arranged my own flights and accommodation, so I'm not interested in package deals.

Thanks!
In Kane We Trust

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why not turn up on day two or three? Then you don't have to sit as close to other spectators and you can just roll up to the gate. I don't know what the fuss about the first day is. Crowds suck!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if it will sell out tbh. Having said that, there are a lot of expat Kiwis out here so interest will be high. I'm not sure whether there are geo-blocks on tickets when they go on sale, but if you have some mates over here, why not get them to buy your tickets and just transfer them the money?

IKWT

Cricket Spectator
Why not turn up on day two or three? Then you don't have to sit as close to other spectators and you can just roll up to the gate. I don't know what the fuss about the first day is. Crowds suck!
Haha, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Definitely want to go to day 1.

I don't know if it will sell out tbh. Having said that, there are a lot of expat Kiwis out here so interest will be high. I'm not sure whether there are geo-blocks on tickets when they go on sale, but if you have some mates over here, why not get them to buy your tickets and just transfer them the money?
Good point re: geo blocking. I will call on the contacts. It looks like they go up for sale to the public in May?

Burgey

Yeah I think that's generally when they go on sale. I'd periodically google to keep an eye out for when they're coming on sale, or alternatively, email CA and just ask when they expect to release them to the public. Knowing them, they'll get back to you a week or two after they've been on sale, because they're just a ****bag outfit.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
No guarantee it'll last 3 days :ph34r:

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I'm planning to go over with a bunch of mates as well.

Doesn't look like they do a match pass? Like they do in NZ?

Burgey

I genuinely don't understand the fascination with the Boxing Day test. It's probably cricket's greatest example of hype and marketing completely outstripping reality. It's just another test, played on the worst pitch in Australia in front of predominantly empty stands in a substandard city. The idea it's some sort of sacred tradition is utter bull**** too - it kicked off as late as the 80s as a regular event.

**** test. **** city.

vcs

I genuinely don't understand the fascination with the Boxing Day test. It's probably cricket's greatest example of hype and marketing completely outstripping reality. It's just another test, played on the worst pitch in Australia in front of predominantly empty stands in a substandard city. The idea it's some sort of sacred tradition is utter bull**** too - it kicked off as late as the 80s as a regular event.

**** test. **** city.
It's just the best time of the year to watch cricket though. TBF, they could hold it anywhere and that would still be the case. I love Boxing Day cricket, three Test matches in a day if none of Australia, NZ or SA are playing each other.

Burgey

Yes the time of year makes it good. They should hold it in Adelaide though, and put Melbourne on in November. They’re alwaus banging on about how they’d turn up to the opening of an envelope, let them prove it by getting amongst it in November.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure the whole boxing day tradition started with FC games between NSW & Vic didn't it?

Either way, the biggest match of the year belongs at the home of Australian cricket. Can you imagine if Merv Hughes was doing his warmups in front of the SCG toffee-nosed crowd sitting there with their arms crossed? Cricket as a whole would be poorer for it.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The Boxing Test is a tradition, but it is becoming less and less eagerly awaited because of the pitch generally being a turgid piece of **** as of the last few years

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yes the time of year makes it good. They should hold it in Adelaide though, and put Melbourne on in November. They’re alwaus banging on about how they’d turn up to the opening of an envelope, let them prove it by getting amongst it in November.
It's been proven before in the distant past - something you should remember. Boxing Day as a Melbourne thing is more recent.

This time I'm quoting, so Jiimmy doesn't get sprayed in the driveby

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

**** test. **** city.
For Kiwis this year, it is a great excuse to avoid the awkwardness of a family Christmas. That's certainly a factor in me considering it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Personally, I like a half empty ground. This way, I can change seats to avoid the sun as it moves about and change them when I feel like a change of view. A packed stadium with an allocated seat doesn't let you do that. And then there is the fear factor. It gives me the heebie geebies to sit in a stand filled to capacity once I start thinking about how much tolerance the engineering has allowed for. Particularly when the crowd jumps up after wickets and the stand starts bouncing around like a rubber band.