• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Very Random Question

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hello

Just a random one, who on earth knocks in professional cricketers bats???
They seem to have a whole collection of them, loads at any one match... And they cant all have been "pre knocked in" or pressed at the factory because that has only come around in the last couple of years... Or do they just not bother knocking them in at all?

Any ideas?

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Hello

They seem to have a whole collection of them, loads at any one match... And they cant all have been "pre knocked in" or pressed at the factory because that has only come around in the last couple of years... Or do they just not bother knocking them in at all?

Any ideas?
Why knock them in when they face hours and hours of pratice with batting machines etc... alternativly if your a Kent middle order batsman you need something to do for hours while the openers score 200 ;)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Hello

Any ideas?
I'm sure i heard one of the sky commentators last year mention how they go through so many bats nowadays they just dont bother knocking them in. If they did it would probably be during net sessions.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
Why knock them in when they face hours and hours of pratice with batting machines etc... alternativly if your a Kent middle order batsman you need something to do for hours while the openers score 200 ;)

Oh dear Rich! Remember what a great leveller cricket is, you will be absolutely reeling before long :cool:

Scallywag

Banned
Most bats are machine rolled nowdays and ready for use when purchased.

Extratec is also a useful way to protect edges on new bats.

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Oh dear Rich! Remember what a great leveller cricket is, you will be absolutely reeling before long :cool:
Haha I know Iam just teasing, anyway our reeling was 129ao to Worcs the other week ;)

On another random question.

Do you think it's right players wear so much strapping on their hands now? the entire WI's must have a sponsor deal going one, every single player has every single finger with tape on (hell even the WK has tape on the fingers of his gloves :wacko:), do you think it's fair? does it offer any advatage in bowling/catching?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
Haha I know Iam just teasing, anyway our reeling was 129ao to Worcs the other week ;)

On another random question.

Do you think it's right players wear so much strapping on their hands now? the entire WI's must have a sponsor deal going one, every single player has every single finger with tape on (hell even the WK has tape on the fingers of his gloves :wacko:), do you think it's fair? does it offer any advatage in bowling/catching?

Yeah I agree... i think it was Anil Kumble who used to always have tape on his fingers.. it came to a head against the kiwis about five years ago when I remember being amazed by it when he bowled... there is no law that says you cant though..

Saying that, ive never found that having a plaster on my spinning finger does me any harm... Maybe i should start putting them on when I dont have a cut!

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Yeah I agree... i think it was Anil Kumble who used to always have tape on his fingers.. it came to a head against the kiwis about five years ago when I remember being amazed by it when he bowled... there is no law that says you cant though..

Saying that, ive never found that having a plaster on my spinning finger does me any harm... Maybe i should start putting them on when I dont have a cut!
Don't forget the advatage on the catching side of things as well as the bowling.

Not accusing the WI's of anything, but there has to be some advatage as I can't blieve that all 11 players have hurt at least 5 of their fingers each, some had all 10 tapped up :wacko:

And then it has to be a massive adantage for the WK to tape his gloves fingers up as well :wacko: - Don't he have enough grip already, he should get some new gloves if that's the case :D

Craig

World Traveller
Rich2001 said:
Not accusing the WI's of anything, but there has to be some advatage as I can't blieve that all 11 players have hurt at least 5 of their fingers each, some had all 10 tapped up :wacko:
Maybe its a prevention thing.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Hello

Just a random one, who on earth knocks in professional cricketers bats?
What on earth do you think they do at knocking shops if it isn't performing this valuable service for cricketers, whether professional or amateur?

Cheers,

Mike

Langeveldt

Soutie
badgerhair said:
What on earth do you think they do at knocking shops if it isn't performing this valuable service for cricketers, whether professional or amateur?

Cheers,

Mike
Must get a bit pricey though.. Wondered if they bothered :)