Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 49 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: *Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    how long has bairstow been the #3? never really seen him as one
    Two Tests. He scored a ton in the other one.

It's obviously not his best role/position but I think it's worth a go given the resources they've got. Much better to have a crack at that than drop him (or drop another good player batting lower down to accommodate him) for a spud like Denly at #3 IMO.
    Flem274* likes this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Yes I think it’s worth the experiment rather than throw in another batsman from county cricket that would struggle with the rise in quality and inevitably require a degree of settling in time. We have few options available unfortunately for both the number three position and the role of opening bat.

Bairstow’s ‘opportunity’ at 3 will no doubt have been aided by his success opening in ODI’s, if he can face the new white ball then surely he’ll have no issues at 3 in Test cricket? Sadly, not the case, but I think other than Bairstow it’d be another shot in the dark with an unproven cricketer from domestic cricket at a time when there are so many question marks and pressure over the top order as a whole.

As has been alluded to, this isn’t Bairstow’s natural position for Test cricket you wouldn’t think, that’s not to say he won’t still make some decent runs from there in this series just not sure it’s a long term viable option.

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Well a bit early to throw out the Bairstow at 3 experiment then. Leave him there.
    Prince EWS likes this.

U19 Vice-Captain Hicheal Michael's Avatar
    What happens if Bairstow fails at 3? Does he take the gloves back? One fears this could get ugly if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicheal Michael View Post
    What happens if Bairstow fails at 3? Does he take the gloves back? One fears this could get ugly if it doesn't work out.
    It would have been unfair to leave Foakes out of this series after his exploits in Sri Lanka, and while he'sprobably the weakest bat of the three keepers and so will probably be under most pressure to score runs, he is by far the best keeper. We'll probably juggle things around so we can keep all three keepers in and plenty of all-rounders still.
    https://elitecricketexchange.wordpress.com - Overseas Cricket Exchange Agency

WI surprised all. All thought Eng will roll over WI very easily.
    Root is not consistent in overseas isn't it.? Scored one century in Sri Lanka, but not that consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    jason holder is a superb cricketer but i'd like to see him consistently bat at #6 (or even higher, like cairns and flintoff sometimes had to) before i'll name him better. cairns in particular is also clearly ahead on bowling, but given he was often given the new ball as a 135-140kph swing bowler that's no shame on holder's role in his team.

would love holder to do it tbh. i'm scarred by richard and tec always bleating about 2005 ashes and mr x, despite his extended peak of circa 40 with the bat and 26 with the ball, can go do one for how he's taken advantage of former teammates and treated the game.
    I think Jase should bat at 7 now if we need to fit a spinner in. He's way too good for number 8. I think he's technically an excellent batsman and could average 40 fairly comfortably. Still, let's not get too carried away, I'd like to see how the current lineup performs in Antigua. England have a habit of bouncing back and we have a habit of not building on potentially game changing victories.

What feels different about this victory though is that we bossed it from start to finish. Even our recent victories against England and Pakistan have come from behind thanks to outstanding 2nd innings batting or bowling. Here we bossed it and finish the job. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I think Jase should bat at 7 now if we need to fit a spinner in. He's way too good for number 8. I think he's technically an excellent batsman and could average 40 fairly comfortably. Still, let's not get too carried away, I'd like to see how the current lineup performs in Antigua. England have a habit of bouncing back and we have a habit of not building on potentially game changing victories.

What feels different about this victory though is that we bossed it from start to finish. Even our recent victories against England and Pakistan have come from behind thanks to outstanding 2nd innings batting or bowling. Here we bossed it and finish the job. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come.
    If you bowl a team out in the first innings for 77 you are going to have pretty much full control from there on in, providing you don't suffer a similar first innings fate. I'd say England would have been pretty happy after WI's first innings, of course WI then assumed full control thereafter.

Cow
    Banned
    Burns
    A traffic cone/Denly
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Mo
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broard
    Anderson

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

The top 5 need to put some solid runs on the board before you start getting too hopeful
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

International 12th Man
    This would be my team:

Burns
    Denly
    Bairstow
    Root
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Curran
    Moeen
    Broad
    Anderson

Jennings needs to go, he's awful, unfortunately the only top order bat we've brought is Denly, but **** it may aswell give him a go, we know that Jennings isn't going to do anything against pace, that's obvious now so why persist with him? Buttler should be batting ahead of Stokes, and Mo should only be batting ahead of Broad and Anderson. I'm fine with either Curran or Woakes, though I think we should stick with Curran, yeah he didn't do well in Barbados but it's the first time he's lead the attack (alongside Jimmy) on a wicket he's expected to make an impact (as compared to the pitches in SL) and he's such a massive tallent that it's worth persisting with and giving him a bit of protection by having another seemer available to pick if he's not doing so hot.

Cow
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    This would be my team:

Burns
    Denly
    Bairstow
    Root
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Curran
    Moeen
    Broad
    Anderson

Jennings needs to go, he's awful, unfortunately the only top order bat we've brought is Denly, but **** it may aswell give him a go, we know that Jennings isn't going to do anything against pace, that's obvious now so why persist with him? Buttler should be batting ahead of Stokes, and Mo should only be batting ahead of Broad and Anderson. I'm fine with either Curran or Woakes, though I think we should stick with Curran, yeah he didn't do well in Barbados but it's the first time he's lead the attack (alongside Jimmy) on a wicket he's expected to make an impact (as compared to the pitches in SL) and he's such a massive tallent that it's worth persisting with and giving him a bit of protection by having another seemer available to pick if he's not doing so hot.
    Is Curren better than Woakes at either batting or bowling? I'm not so sure.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    Is Curren better than Woakes at either batting or bowling? I'm not so sure.
    Woakes is a proven failure abroad with the ball and I'd say they're about the same batting wise.

Woakes looks the better bat. Could buy him in the top 6 more than Curran who remember hasnt scored a FC ton yet
    cricket rules brah

Cow
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    Woakes is a proven failure abroad with the ball and I'd say they're about the same batting wise.
    While Curran was Wasim reborn in that first test.

I think Woakes is a better player at the moment. Failing on the roads of Aus doesn't make u a bad bowler.

Thread Information