• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Match Awards: Strange Version

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Recently was looking up stats of a certain West Indian fast bowler from the early 2000s and stumbled upon this gem:

1st Match, Coca-Cola Cup (Zimbabwe) at Harare, Jun 23 2001 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Cameron Cuffy was the bowler I had in mind, but I didn't knew he was awarded player of the match for not taking any wickets. His miserly spell of 10-2-20-0 did.

I don't know if there are any other instances of something like this occurring.

Not those awards for biggest six, karbon kamal catch garbage...Genuine player of the match.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Taylor got MOTM in an ODI vs the Windies in 92-93 for taking three speccies in a very low scoring game.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
A near miss: in the Eng-WI ODI at Lord's in 1988, the MotM was DeFreitas with 11-5-20-1 and a catch (Greenidge). Walsh had figures of 11-5-11-0 in the same game.

Alan Knott was MotM in the semi-final and final of the 1974 Gillette Cup, but he did score some useful runs in both games.

Cuffy's achievement of MotM without a wicket, catch or run is on his Wiki page, so it may be unique. (When Abrahams was MotM in the B&H Cup Final in 1984 despite being out for a duck and not bowling, he did take a catch).