• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty scientific. I wouldn't mind betting a mass consumption of baked beans & vegemite helps leg spin bowling as well.

Bijed

International Regular
Ross Taylor's a KFC fan isn't he? And he's one of the better batsmen of recent times. Seems proven to me.

Edit: Also, KFC sponsor the Big Bash, which is Australian and Steve Smith (an Australian) is the best batsman in the world. Can't be coincidence.

Imagine how good Bradman would have been if he'd had access to chicken nuggets...

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Him being picked (I'm assuming it was a surprise, I haven't followed recent developments in Australian FC cricket)
Oh right haha. The squad was announced 2 weeks ago so I was wondering if something new might have happened.

Siddle took wickets for Essex and before that he had good OD and Big Bash tournaments but was easily behind pace bowlers Tremain and Boland in his own state side in the 4 day cricket, so it was a bit of a surprise.

Its one on those things, if Cummins and Haze were available, Siddle would not be 4th overall quick bowler but I think you can understand picking Siddle when there are injuries.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Langer is such a one eyed Western Australian it was certainly going to be Marsh.

I don't think all rounders should be captains though so I hope he's never the proper captain.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Langer is such a one eyed Western Australian it was certainly going to be Marsh.

I don't think all rounders should be captains though so I hope he's never the proper captain.
Well that's good because MMarsh isn't and never really will be an all-rounder. He's a batsman who uses his ordinary medium-pacers as a an excuse to be selected as an all-rounder.

Starfighter

I'd say his claims to allrounderness have decreased recently cause he keeps getting injured all the time while doing it. His bowling in the Ashes was so bad, just cream puffs.

Burgey

These UAE tests aren't on at a bad time from a watching POV, but they're going to be dross.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm still on Mitch Marsh. Reckon he'll come good as an all-rounder soon.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Has leadership experience too. This one isn't WA bias at all imo.

Sharing it with Hazlewood is a convenient way to ensure they can still drop him if they have to.

Spikey

"Mitch has successfully captained Australia A, Australia U19 and WA. He is an extremely popular member of the team, he has great humility, and given his lineage. he understands and respects the responsibility which comes with representing Australia and Australians.”
"Mitch has successfully captained Australia A, Australia U19 and WA. He is an extremely popular member of the team, he has great humility, and given his lineage. he understands and respects the responsibility which comes with representing Australia and Australians.”
we are now a monarchy

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think anyone can argue that Mitch has been given a generous, lengthy ride on the carousel. Who are you quoting there Spikey?

Gnske

Geoff Marsh as we all know had the captaincy genes.

Unfortunately Shaun missed out.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
MMarsh’s bowling wasn’t his issue, I thought he was a decent backup for the main trundlers. It was his batting and I’m with Red Hill in I think he’ll start to come good soon.

stephen

I think he's already started to come good. And I see him as a potential Steve Waugh type - starting as a better bowler than bat and ending his career as a better bat than bowler.

But he shouldn't be anywhere near the captaincy at this point in his career.