• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever ODI XI

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
I think Derek Randall, Learie Constantine, Roger Harper or Colin Bland might disagree with you.
as would Gibbs and Penney...

Inferior fielders than Rhodes yes, but not by that much...

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar
rahul dravid (w)
ricky ponting (c)
brian lara
jacques kallis
viv richards
joel garner
irfan pathan
wasim akram
muttiah muralitharan

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
bhooth nath said:
sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar
rahul dravid (w)
ricky ponting (c)
brian lara
jacques kallis
viv richards
joel garner
irfan pathan
wasim akram
muttiah muralitharan
No Bevan?!

Langeveldt

Soutie
bhooth nath said:
sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar
rahul dravid (w)
ricky ponting (c)
brian lara
jacques kallis
viv richards
joel garner
irfan pathan
wasim akram
muttiah muralitharan
Looks good.. but arent you over rating Pathan just a teeny bit??

chicane

State Captain
bhooth nath said:
sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar
rahul dravid (w)
ricky ponting (c)
brian lara
jacques kallis
viv richards
joel garner
irfan pathan
wasim akram
muttiah muralitharan
Irfan in the best ODI XI? Looking waaayy into the future:)

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
i included irfan pathan in my odi xi as i like irfan pathan and i gues that within 5 years, he will be as good enough to get into an odi xi. currently, he has had 24 wickets in 13 one-dayers despite playing 9 of those matches against teams like austraia and pakistan in their home.

the reason for not including beavan was his lowish strike rate of 71. in one-dayers, it is strike rate which matters more than an average. i do agree that bevan is a good odi-player and has lots of times taken australia to wins from unlikely situations.

a massive zebra

International Captain
bhooth nath said:
the reason for not including beavan was his lowish strike rate of 71. in one-dayers, it is strike rate which matters more than an average. i do agree that bevan is a good odi-player and has lots of times taken australia to wins from unlikely situations.
Dravid's strike rate is no better.

Craig

World Traveller
bhooth nath said:
What?

Tell me your kidding please. An average of 71 is pretty good to have, plus an average of over 50 the highest ever and you try and tell me that average isnt important?

So what would you rather have? A batsman who hits heaps of sixes and fours, an average of 102.3 but average of 14.87 or a s/r of 71 who is a geniune match winner and an average of over 50?

Maybe you have been spoilt by Virender Sehwag smashing heaps of sixes and fours in his career?

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
What?

Tell me your kidding please. An average of 71 is pretty good to have, plus an average of over 50 the highest ever and you try and tell me that average isnt important?

So what would you rather have? A batsman who hits heaps of sixes and fours, an average of 102.3 but average of 14.87 or a s/r of 71 who is a geniune match winner and an average of over 50?

Maybe you have been spoilt by Virender Sehwag smashing heaps of sixes and fours in his career?
Sehwag with a batting average of 35 and SR of 90+ is preferable to Bevan with a batting average of 56 ( plenty, plenty not outs ) and a SR of 71, I feel.

Craig

World Traveller
So what does the not outs have to do with anything?

Isnt it not a testament to his ability to his question.

I ask again:

A batsman who hits heaps of sixes and fours, an average of 102.3 but average of 14.87 or a s/r of 71 who is a geniune match winner and an average of over 50?

chicane

State Captain
Craig said:
His 50+ Average.
Craig said:
He's an awesome LOI player. But he's better for pressure situations or finishing off an innings. Sehwag is a totally different player for a totally different purpose. His job is to come in and wack everything out of the park and get the innings rollin. So if you want more firepower, Sehwag is better than Bevan.
Craig said:
I ask again:

A batsman who hits heaps of sixes and fours, an average of 102.3 but average of 14.87 or a s/r of 71 who is a geniune match winner and an average of over 50?
As I said they are different players and hard to compare. It's too early to put Sehwag in an all-time best ODI XI. In Bhoot Nath's XI, Bevan could've come in for Kallis or Viv. No matter what you say about Bevan, Viv gets ahead of him.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:

I ask again:

Stop putting words into my mouth.

The question of a batsman having an average of 14 never came up. You selected that number just to make Bevan look good. If that batsman has an average of 35 and SR of 90+ opening , like Sehwag, yes, I prefer him to Bevan who has an average of 56 ( plenty of not-outs ) and a SR of 71.

tooextracool

International Coach
bhooth nath said:
i included irfan pathan in my odi xi as i like irfan pathan and i gues that within 5 years, he will be as good enough to get into an odi xi. currently, he has had 24 wickets in 13 one-dayers despite playing 9 of those matches against teams like austraia and pakistan in their home.
pick him 5 years later then.

bhooth nath said:
pick afridi......i cant believe anyone would rather have a player with a higher strike rate than a match winner,let alone a guy who has kallis and dravid in the same squad.

Deja moo

International Captain
Quoted by TooExtraCool>>>>pick afridi......i cant believe anyone would rather have a player with a higher strike rate than a match winner,let alone a guy who has kallis and dravid in the same squad.
Why pick Afridi ?

tooextracool

International Coach
chicane said:
His 50+ Average.
perhaps that also due to the fact that he actually finishes off matches? are you insinuating that the 50+ average isnt deserved for a player who has won soo many matches for his team ??

chicane said:
As I said they are different players and hard to compare. It's too early to put Sehwag in an all-time best ODI XI. In Bhoot Nath's XI, Bevan could've come in for Kallis or Viv. No matter what you say about Bevan, Viv gets ahead of him.
because saeed anwar's has already assured himself a place in the side?
AFAIC bevan is about as good an ODI player as viv richards.

Deja moo

International Captain
because saeed anwar's has already assured himself a place in the side?AFAIC bevan is about as good an ODI player as viv richards.

This comes from the guy who considers Viv better than gavaskar because Viv played more memorable innings's.....hit more big shots....

Same logic continued, shouldnt Viv be a much better player than Bevan ?

tooextracool

International Coach
orangepitch said:
This comes from the guy who considers Viv better than gavaskar because Viv played more memorable innings's.....hit more big shots....

Same logic continued, shouldnt Viv be a much better player than Bevan ?
what are you talking about?i think you've mistaken me for swervy.
1) richards is a better player than gavaskar not because he played memorable innings but because he completely demoralised some of the best bowlers in the world and made them look like novices. and as i proved earlier, richards in his prime had a much better average than gavaskar in his prime.
2) the gavaskar vs viv comparison was used only in tests, if you think that ODI cricket is all about playing the big shots then you're clearly mistaken.

chicane

State Captain
tooextracool said:
perhaps that also due to the fact that he actually finishes off matches? are you insinuating that the 50+ average isnt deserved for a player who has won soo many matches for his team ??
chicane said:
He's an awesome LOI player. But he's better for pressure situations or finishing off an innings
Where in that post have I said anything like Bevan is useless and doesn't deserve that average? Don't twist what I say to suit what you want to say.

tooextracool said:
because saeed anwar's has already assured himself a place in the side?
AFAIC bevan is about as good an ODI player as viv richards.
Quite simply that's his choice. And after getting Bevan in for Saeed, will you open with him? Or will you have a huge middle order full of similar style players? And you seriously think Bevan can do what Viv can?