• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever ODI XI

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Ford_GTHO351 said:
What you said about Williams being able to captain the Australian side is just absolute rubbish.

Regardless of who is in you team, it still takes alot of skill to captain a side. Ricky Ponting has captained a side that had won the most ODI's in a row & he was the captain of the Australian side that won the 2003 World Cup, so I guess he must be doing something right.
It's not rubbish.

With the support of a coach of the skill of John "Flanders" Buchanan and a professional side that knows what they have to do, the captaincy of the Australian side is not a difficult job in a tactical sense (there are other pressures).

I'm not saying Williams would do as good a job, but if he was given the captaincy, Australia would still win more than they lost, and this would not neccessarily make him a great captain.

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
no i wouldnt select harmison but england havent had too many good bowlers in ODI cricket have they?harmison has been one of the best bowlers we've seen in a long long time(well in tests anyways) and im not surprised that people with short term memories have picked him. we've certainly had better players than ealham,giles etc, now thats just mocking english cricket.
i would have picked mullally though, i think he was accurate and very difficult to score runs off in ODIs. im surprised no one has come up with him.
yes we've had far better players than Ealham , Giles etc but Harmison is no better.

Harmison's ODI bowling record: 84.4 3 473 9 52.55 2-39 - - 56.4 5.58 8-)

yes mullally was accurate and consequently a good one day bowler, dropped when he was 4th in the world (although we have seen many even worse decisions from the England selectors), but he would not fit in my team.

My Best Ever England ODI Team

NV Knight
ME Trescothick
GA Hick (cpt)
NH Fairbrother
RA Smith
AJ Stewart (wk)
IT Botham
A Flintoff
D Gough
RGD Willis
DL Underwood

I want a spinner so Underwood is a certainty and there is no way im dropping Botham or Flintoff. Surely Gough and Willis were better bowlers than Mullally?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
a massive zebra said:
That looks a bit bowler heavy to me (Garner, Hadlee, Lillee, Holding, Muralitharan and the useful Klusener, Richards, Tendulkar) with a long tail (the number 8 has an ODI average of 9), but each to his own and thats just my opinion. :)
Fair call Chris. I did consider that, and I nearly had Imran in for Lillee, but I figured that the five bowlers I picked would be able to defend any total posted by those six batsmen. Or maybe I was just being overly patriotic.

Probably the latter.

Oh, and "useful Richards"?

Useful as **** on a bull if you ask me. Got through his overs quick, but slow-medium straight breaks have no place in international cricket if you're serious.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
orangepitch said:
12th man ....Yuvraj scores over Jonty as he can play a big innings better than Jonty , and is only a slightly lesser fielder than him.
you havent seen much of rhodes have you?there has never been a fielder "slightly lesser" than him, he is by far the best fielder ever. and there is more to rhodes than just fielding and batting, his ability to motive sides is as good as you'll ever see.
and at 12th man are we really going to see yuvraj singh play a big innings? :p

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
there has never been a fielder "slightly lesser" than him, he is by far the best fielder ever.
I think Derek Randall, Learie Constantine, Roger Harper or Colin Bland might disagree with you.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
I think Derek Randall, Learie Constantine, Roger Harper or Colin Bland might disagree with you.
because they revolutionalised modern fielding in the way jonty rhodes did?

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
because they revolutionalised modern fielding in the way jonty rhodes did?
you know exactly what I mean, and to a certain extent they did revolutionise fielding at their time.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
My Best Ever Australian ODI XI

1: AC Gilchrist (wk)
2: ME Waugh
3: DM Jones
4: RT Ponting (c)
5: MG Bevan
6: SR Waugh
7: SP O'Donnell
8: B Lee
9: SK Warne
10: DK Lillee
11: GD McGrath

12th Man: DS Lehmann

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ganguly(c)
Gilchrist (WK)
Tendulkar
Lara
Dean Jones
Bevan
Jonty Rhodes
Wasim
Garner
Waqar (at his peak)
Murali

12th man: For his deadly accuracy in throwing down stumps and more than adequate fielding, Ricky Ponting.....

I don't see nos. 5,6,7 getting to play too many overs with Gilly, Sourav, Sachin and Lara as the top 4. Hence, I selected the best guys to rotate strike and keep the scoreboard moving at those spots..... I was seriously tempted to pick Kapil, but with Gilly already there as the allrounder I didn't. I believe in the theory of 1 spinner and Murali is better than Warne, albeit very very slightly... Wasim and Waqar with the new and old balls and Garner in between with his toe crushers is a delicious mix. And Ganguly to captain the side as I followed the tried and tested method of picking the side first and the captain next....

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
My estimated score by my Australian ODI XI (batting first). Only a minimum/par score as I'm sure this side could score more.

1: AC Gilchrist (wk) - 32 (34)
2: ME Waugh - 35 (45)
3: DM Jones - 37 (50)
4: RT Ponting (c) - 34 (43)
5: MG Bevan - 41* (55)
6: SR Waugh - 23 (30)
7: SP O'Donnell - 16 (19)
8: B Lee - 8 (9)
9: SK Warne - 7 (9)
10: DK Lillee - 4 (5)
11: GD McGrath - 0* (1)

9/237 off 50 overs@ 4.74 rpo

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bennyr said:
Useful as **** on a bull if you ask me. Got through his overs quick, but slow-medium straight breaks have no place in international cricket if you're serious.

Depends on the conditions.

Take the pace off the ball and make the batsmen work for the big runs...

Revelation

U19 Debutant
This is ridiculous. Lara was the world's #1 ODI player for almost 3 consecutive YEARS from '95-'98 and he doesn't appear on half these lists. go take a check and see who Tendulkar and Kallis have murdered for their runs. it's not much to talk about.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I dont think any team can beat this one day team. Surprised how many of the people have not picked Lara, Kallis and Dean Jones. Also Saqlain was a class apart for 6-7 years atleast from 1996 -2003

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Lara
Richards
Dean Jones
Kallis
Bevan
Hadlee (could bat too)
Akram
Saqlain (he was awesome at his peak)
Garner

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
yes we've had far better players than Ealham , Giles etc but Harmison is no better.

Harmison's ODI bowling record: 84.4 3 473 9 52.55 2-39 - - 56.4 5.58 8-)

yes mullally was accurate and consequently a good one day bowler, dropped when he was 4th in the world (although we have seen many even worse decisions from the England selectors), but he would not fit in my team.

My Best Ever England ODI Team

NV Knight
ME Trescothick
GA Hick (cpt)
NH Fairbrother
RA Smith
AJ Stewart (wk)
IT Botham
A Flintoff
D Gough
RGD Willis
DL Underwood

I want a spinner so Underwood is a certainty and there is no way im dropping Botham or Flintoff. Surely Gough and Willis were better bowlers than Mullally?
well harmison has only played 3 games on some pretty flat tracks too so i dont see any reason why we should look at his stats yet. thats also a reason why people shouldnt pick him in their odi squad, but as i said people have short term memory and will look at harmisons test match performances and say that hes the best english bowler in a long long time.
i would pick mullally ahead of willis, i think in the modern era to have an economy rate of 3.84 in ODIs is quite exceptional let alone the fact that hes left handed and therefore brings in some variety to that english attack.