• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever ODI XI

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
stephen fleming
Stephen Fleming's ODI captaincy record
158 Matches; 68 wins , 80 losses, 1 tied, 9 no results

I think that the way Ricky Ponting is going, he will go down as one of the best ODI captains ever.

Ricky Ponting's ODI captaincy record
67 Matches; 53 wins, 11 losses, 1 tied, 2 no results

ReallyCrazy

Banned
1. Gilchrist
2. Tendulkar
3. Ponting
4. Richards
5. Ganguly
6. Bevan
7. Rhodes
8. Pollock
9. Akram
10. Murali
11. McGrath

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, Ponting's record is much better, but he does have a much more talented team than Fleming has.

My vote for best ODI captain would be Lloyd, only captain to win 2 world cups.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Stephen Fleming's ODI captaincy record
158 Matches; 68 wins , 80 losses, 1 tied, 9 no results

I think that the way Ricky Ponting is going, he will go down as one of the best ODI captains ever.

Ricky Ponting's ODI captaincy record
67 Matches; 53 wins, 11 losses, 1 tied, 2 no results
OK, I'll bite.

That is just the most base and senseless analysis you could possibly make from those facts.

Brad Williams could captain the current Australian side and they would still be pretty successful.

I've said this before on another thread, but Ricky Ponting's test of captaincy will come when the Aussie team starts to lose most of the great players they have been depending on for the past few years. If they can maintain a similar success rate, then, and only then, will Ponting go down as one of the great ODI captains.

In terms of ability to get great results from the resources he has, I'll take Fleming over Ponting any day.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
My side:

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Bevan
Zaheer Abbas
Klusener
Hadlee
Holding
Lillee
Garner
Muraliduran

12th Man: Roger Harper

a massive zebra

International Captain
bennyr said:
My side:

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Bevan
Zaheer Abbas
Klusener
Hadlee
Holding
Lillee
Garner
Muraliduran

12th Man: Roger Harper
That looks a bit bowler heavy to me (Garner, Hadlee, Lillee, Holding, Muralitharan and the useful Klusener, Richards, Tendulkar) with a long tail (the number 8 has an ODI average of 9), but each to his own and thats just my opinion. :)

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
That looks a bit bowler heavy to me (Garner, Hadlee, Lillee, Holding, Muralitharan and the useful Klusener, Richards, Tendulkar) with a long tail (the number 8 has an ODI average of 9), but each to his own and thats just my opinion. :)
it would be great to have murali as you're 5th bowler though, but yeah ODIs are for batsman and clearly you need batting till at least no 8

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist+
Tendulkar
Richards*
Bevan
Kallis
Rhodes
C.Cairns
Akram
Akhtar/Warne
Muralli
McGrath

And my England XI

Knight
Stewart+
Thorpe
Trescothick
Flintoff
Collingwood
Botham
Ealham
Gough
Harmison
Giles/Anderson

tooextracool

International Coach
jamee999 said:
And my England XI

Knight
Stewart+
Thorpe
Trescothick
Flintoff
Collingwood
Botham
Ealham
Gough
Harmison
Giles/Anderson
i hope that this is a joke and not you're actual side!
giles?anderson?ealham?collingwood?

chicane

State Captain
My India XI

V.Sehwag
S.Tendulkar
S.Ganguly (c)
V.Laxman
R.Dravid
Y.Singh
N.Kapil Dev
N.Mongia (wk)
J.Srinath
Z.Khan
A.Kumble

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
i hope that this is a joke and not you're actual side!
giles?anderson?ealham?collingwood?
I certainly would not select any of these but all of them have done far better than Harmison in ODIs who you conveniently forgot to mention.

chicane

State Captain
a massive zebra said:
So basically the current side.
Obviously the batting is pretty much unchanged. Kapil, Mongia and Srinath are the only ex-players. I was tempted to include Sidhu :happy: but could'nt
find a slot for him.

And mebbe Azhar in place of VVS, very tuff.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1. SR Tendulkar
2. NV Knight
3. R Ponting
4. JH Kallis
5. A Gilchrist
6. M Bevan
7. S Pollock
8. W Akram
9. A Kumble
10. M Holding
11. J Garner

My South Africa XI

1. HH Gibbs
2. GC Smith
3. DJ Cullinan
4. JH Kallis
5. WJ Cronjé
6. L Klusener
7. JN Rhodes
8. SM Pollock
9. N Bojé
10. PS De Villiers
11. AA Donald

12. P Symcox

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
bennyr said:
OK, I'll bite.

That is just the most base and senseless analysis you could possibly make from those facts.

Brad Williams could captain the current Australian side and they would still be pretty successful.
What you said about Williams being able to captain the Australian side is just absolute rubbish.

Regardless of who is in you team, it still takes alot of skill to captain a side. Ricky Ponting has captained a side that had won the most ODI's in a row & he was the captain of the Australian side that won the 2003 World Cup, so I guess he must be doing something right.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Best Ever ODI Xi

My best ever ODI XI:

Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
Tendulkar
Dean Jones
Ponting/Steve Waugh(Captain)
Kallis
Bevan
Shaun Pollack
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Muralitharan

Reserves:
Waquar Younis
Gordon Greenidge
Brian Lara
Shane Warne

Craig

World Traveller
Hmmm

SC Ganguly
SR Tendulkar
JH Kallis
IVA Richards
MG Bevan
JN Rhodes/CL Cairns
+AC Gilchrist
SK Warne
Wasim Akram
Warqar Younis
McGrath/Murali

12th man: BC Lara

Deja moo

International Captain
V Sehwag / S Jayasuriya
S Tendulkar
V Richards
J Kallis
S Ganguly ( cpt )
M Bevan
A Gilchrist ( wkt )
S Pollock / I Khan
W Akram
M Murali
G McGrath

12th men..Yuvraj Singh , D Lillee.

I'd like to think this is a very balanced team.
jayasuriya provides a spin option.
SRT , Viv and Kallis are pretty hard to ignore.

Ganguly can hit the big sixes at 5.

Bevan has to be there to finish off things

Gilly....best ODi keeper.....can be played anywhere in the order to increase the run rate.

Pollock/ Imran as the second all rounder for me. Pollock may be a lesser bat than Imran ....but with all these other batsmen , do we really need that strong a batsman at this position ?

Murali spins

Wasim and McGrath....two kings of the ODI game .

12th man ....Yuvraj scores over Jonty as he can play a big innings better than Jonty , and is only a slightly lesser fielder than him.

Lillee is my back up bowler.

Ganguly emerged as the captain from this team . :D

ash chaulk

International Captain
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Bevan
Cairns
Kluesener
Pollock
Akram
Murali
McGrath

12th man: Vaas

Only recent players in my list players like hadlee and richards i havent seen play.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
I certainly would not select any of these but all of them have done far better than Harmison in ODIs who you conveniently forgot to mention.
no i wouldnt select harmison but england havent had too many good bowlers in ODI cricket have they?harmison has been one of the best bowlers we've seen in a long long time(well in tests anyways) and im not surprised that people with short term memories have picked him. we've certainly had better players than ealham,giles etc, now thats just mocking english cricket.
i would have picked mullally though, i think he was accurate and very difficult to score runs off in ODIs. im surprised no one has come up with him.