• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A battle of the leggies

Who was worse?

• Total voters

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After my failure last night, I've decided to go direct. I don't think I'll have any dispute that these two are some of the worst of their type to represent their countries in tests.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
I think Salisbury had a bit of a mental block in tests. He had no control in it and yet averaged 32.65 in FC. Rawl Lewis had a better FC record, but probably on more favourable surfaces. Arguably not enough info to choose between them.

Jack1

International Debutant
Schofield was a worse bowler than Salisbury imo and it's not even close. Schofield was pretty awful, like a part-time leggie and got picked as a front-line spinner

the big bambino

International Captain
We could go there. But I've actually seen these two bowling. You said in the HF thread that you saw the test in '73 with John Watkins. Did you actually see him bowl at any point?
I've responded on that thread but long story short I didn't. He only had 6 fairly inexpensive overs in the game. Seamers wicket as I recall.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think CK Nayudu's Test figures do him justice. Ditto for CS Nayudu, who was another leggie.

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't think CK Nayudu's Test figures do him justice. Ditto for CS Nayudu, who was another leggie.
Definitely for CK who was past it when India were granted tests. You are most likely right about CS. I think he was targeted by those who disliked CK. Also the Indian team was generally a leaderless rabble and fighting among themselves. hardly a good environment for a young leggie to succeed.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah ok, I haven't read anything about the targeting of CS. It'd be nice to hear about that. From what I remember reading about CS he was known as a bit of "googly expert" and formed a spin partnership with his elder brother at FC (and possibly even Test) level.

And yes, India, as well as even England & WI, benefited greatly when class-structures stopped dictating the game.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm just speculating about the targeting but it could have happened. CK had a few powerful enemies but was difficult to take down as he had great status. Maybe CS drew the frustrations of his enemies instead, I'm not sure. He did seem to have a flaw in his technique according to test player Ramaswami. He delivered the ball with his head almost at stump height and his direction could get pretty ragged.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just speculating about the targeting but it could have happened. CK had a few powerful enemies but was difficult to take down as he had great status. Maybe CS drew the frustrations of his enemies instead, I'm not sure. He did seem to have a flaw in his technique according to test player Ramaswami. He delivered the ball with his head almost at stump height and his direction could get pretty ragged.
That's quite interesting actually, regarding his bowling action. Sounds like he had a bit of a Paul Adams style there. CS was also a very short guy, so I could imagine facing him might very well have been a mixed bag, if not completely unpredictable.

cpr

International Coach
Schofield was a worse bowler than Salisbury imo and it's not even close. Schofield was pretty awful, like a part-time leggie and got picked as a front-line spinner
Schofield got picked far too early then absolutely lost his confidence, his final days at Lancs were painful. Got his stuff together and proved pretty effective short form bowler in the end.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I don't remember much about Ian Salisbury other than him bowling constant long hops, but here is an interesting and informative post about the not so great leg spinner from our esteemed member fredfertang.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Robin Hobbs was a decent leggie at county, but alas not so much at the Test level.
He made a mark in CC for the fastest century of that year, IIRC