• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A battle of the leggies

Who was worse?

• Total voters

the big bambino

International Captain
That's quite interesting actually, regarding his bowling action. Sounds like he had a bit of a Paul Adams style there. CS was also a very short guy, so I could imagine facing him might very well have been a mixed bag, if not completely unpredictable.
That is an evocative comparison. I like the comparisons in styles to modern players as it helps visualise the methods of players we have only read about.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
That is an evocative comparison. I like the comparisons in styles to modern players as it helps visualise the methods of players we have only read about.
That's just it. Part of the reason why I like reading about cricket so much is imagining how the old-time players would have played their game. If I could jump in a time machine the cricketers I'd most like to see would be Grace, Ranji, Trumper, Gessop, Barnes, Spofforth, Frank Foster, and maybe some of the pre-Test greats, like Mynn, for reference.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Foster is a real mystery man. On his day supposedly equal to SF Barnes himself! Tom Richardson would be interesting as well, arguably the archetypal fast bowler.

Jack1

International Debutant
Schofield got picked far too early then absolutely lost his confidence, his final days at Lancs were painful. Got his stuff together and proved pretty effective short form bowler in the end.
He was bits and pieces, more suited to t20 as he was OK with bat and ball. Just miles from test standard with the ball.