• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best current test batting lineup

Which side has the best top 7 for test matches?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Borges

International Regular
While Australia prepares pitches designed to negate spin against sides that play spin well, they have also prepared designer pitches to aid spin when Warne was in the team.

The good thing about pitch doctoring is that when it backfires, it does backfire spectacularly.
For instance, on this designer pitch 2nd Test, South Africa tour of Australia at Sydney, Jan 2-6 1994 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo, Warne lorded over all, till Fanie De Viliers freaked out in the last innings.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We have always produced dust bowls at Galle (except that Indian match), flat track at SSC, sporty track at PSS, and seaming track at Pallekale. When non SC teams tour, possibly the pitches get little less watered. But the real change used to happen when India toured in the past, with lot of grass to neutralize Indian spin attack. Kumble's and Harbhajan's stats in SL, gives a good idea about the pitch quality.

Having said that, I haven's seen Australia giving us a pitch with spin during Murali's reign, at least a SCG test. Warne never produced balls that he used to produce against non-SC teams against us or India, because the piches were clearly doctored to neutralize touring spinners. Despite amidst the demolition by fast bowlers, Warne averages 34 against SL and 100+ against India in Australia, giving an idea about the pitches that Australia prepared.

Every home team doctors their pitches, Eng and NZ may be the least to do it. SC teams (except PAK), Aus and SAF are notorious for it.
Pure garbage.

Australia have been so frustrating because they tend to do the opposite, especially since I've been following. Sub-continental teams usually getting the Sydney Test, South Africa/West Indies usually getting the WACA & Gabba Tests. Especially in the last 5 years

@Borges, I don't know about as far back as 1993, well before my time. I'm only really talking about the last 5 years or so. I'm not going to shame a country that "doctored" a pitch 15-20 years ago, or more.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pure garbage.

Australia have been so frustrating because they tend to do the opposite, especially since I've been following. Sub-continental teams usually getting the Sydney Test, South Africa/West Indies usually getting the WACA & Gabba Tests. Especially in the last 5 years

@Borges, I don't know about as far back as 1993, well before my time. I'm only really talking about the last 5 years or so. I'm not going to shame a country that "doctored" a pitch 15-20 years ago, or more.
You can name the SCG test which featured Muralitharan. And the bowling stats of Warne is there for taking.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can name the SCG test which featured Muralitharan. And the bowling stats of Warne is there for taking.
You're just looking for a whinge 'cause Murali couldn't buy a wicket out here. You clearly didn't watch the last series against India for instance.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
While Australia prepares pitches designed to negate spin against sides that play spin well, they have also prepared designer pitches to aid spin when Warne was in the team.

The good thing about pitch doctoring is that when it backfires, it does backfire spectacularly.
For instance, on this designer pitch 2nd Test, South Africa tour of Australia at Sydney, Jan 2-6 1994 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo, Warne lorded over all, till Fanie De Viliers freaked out in the last innings.

Syhmcox sending 46 overs and getting away with 2-82, I agree with you. If I had Warne in my side, i'll bowl him all day against SAF.

Starfighter

That series did not feature Murali or Warne. Thanks.
And so? A discussion concerning the treatment of pitches that might affect current batting lineups doesn't involve Murali or Warne either. You were the person who went off topic to whine.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And so? A discussion concerning the treatment of pitches that might affect current batting lineups doesn't involve Murali or Warne either. You were the person who went off topic to whine.
Just gave examples that has been happening for ages, and nothing new. Your point being?

TheJediBrah

You're basing your whole judgement on Murali and Warne's bowling stats? lol

And didn't Murali only play like 4 Tests in Australia?

And Sri Lanka aren't the only sub-continental team.

And on their last tour in 2013, yes, they did play at the SCG

You're talking complete ****

morgieb

That's more down to Sri Lanka being small fish in the world and the NYT typically going to marquee teams.

I don't think there's any real doctoring either way for when Australia elects to ask sides to tour. It's all commercial bar South Africa not playing during the Christmas/New Year period because they have their own home Test summer.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka actually has pretty decent pitches for seamers early in the day (or at least used to). Boult and Southee really made their names in SL

Starfighter

For the most part, they still tend to have pretty good pitches for seamers.
Yep, like in the South Africa series just gone. So good for seamers that Sri Lanka's seamer captain bowled a massive total of 6.3 overs across two tests.

OverratedSanity

Yep, like in the South Africa series just gone. So good for seamers that Sri Lanka's seamer captain bowled a massive total of 6.3 overs across two tests.
That was the exception. SL generally produce at least one very pace friendly pitch every series. Kandy and palekelle generally offer plenty of help to the seamers.

TheJediBrah

So good for seamers that Sri Lanka bowled 97% of their overs by spinners (this is the actual percentage). And Maharaj bowled 40 overs in an 81 over long innings, for a team that had Steyn and Rabada in it.

Maybe when they haven't doctored a dustbowl for a non-Asian team tour it can be good for seamers I don't know?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It is out of India, NZ and South Africa. IMO combined top 7s would look like this

In subcontinent and Windies
Dhawan
Latham
Pujara
Williamson
Kohli
Watling
Ashwin

In the rest of the world
Elgar
Markram
Williamson
Kohli
Taylor
Watling
De Grandhomme

Thoughts?

Starfighter

That was the exception. SL generally produce at least one very pace friendly pitch every series.
Kandy and palekelle generally offer plenty of help to the seamers.
So when's Australia's turn? Certainly not the last two tours.
Considering Palekelle has replaced Asgiyira that's only one venue on any given tour. And the '16 pitch there didn't have much, conveniently. And 'very' pace friendly? That's like a 'very' spin friendly Australian pitch. Once in a blue moon it seems.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So when's Australia's turn? Certainly not the last two tours.
Considering Palekelle has replaced Asgiyira that's only one venue on any given tour. And the '16 pitch there didn't have much, conveniently. And 'very' pace friendly? That's like a 'very' spin friendly Australian pitch. Once in a blue moon it seems.
Sl will not have 'very' pace friendly pitches. However Donald, Ambrose, Schultz, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib all average less than 20 playing in SL. I am intruiged to see what touring spinners average in Australia.

TheJediBrah

Sl will not have 'very' pace friendly pitches. However Donald, Ambrose, Schultz, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib all average less than 20 playing in SL. I am intruiged to see what touring spinners average in Australia.
It's sad that you think that has anything to do with doctored pitches