• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel v Bob Willis

Better Test Bowler

• Morne Morkel

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Bob Willis

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack1

International Debutant
Willis took 44 wickets @ 23.22 in Asia in 15 games. He was good on all surfaces.

For me the answer is Willis by a distance considering Willis had far less support from other bowlers too. He had less pressure being created from the other end. Morkel has had the likes of Steyn, Philander and others creating pressure for him from the other end. This isn't really a contest for me and I find it a little funny anyone is saying Morkel. I strongly disagree with Morkel over Willis. Willis for me and no contest.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Willis took 44 wickets @ 23.22 in Asia in 15 games. He was good on all surfaces.

For me the answer is Willis by a distance considering Willis had far less support from other bowlers too. He had less pressure being created from the other end. Morkel has had the likes of Steyn, Philander and others creating pressure for him from the other end. This isn't really a contest for me and I find it a little funny anyone is saying Morkel. I strongly disagree with Morkel over Willis. Willis for me and no contest.
You are funny. Morkel > Willis

akilana

International 12th Man
They are probably on the same level and one can make a strong argument for Morkel. But I don’t care who picks who. I take issue with that poster calling it a no contest and saying that it’s funny someone would even think Morkel was better. That line of arguments are boring.

Jack1

International Debutant
They are probably on the same level and one can make a strong argument for Morkel. But I don’t care who picks who. I take issue with that poster calling it a no contest and saying that it’s funny someone would even think Morkel was better. That line of arguments are boring.
I don’t think they are considering the average differential and the lack of support Willis got in comparison. Plus Willis’s faster strike rate. Choosing Morkel just shows bias. He was effective in Asia and there was an implication he was ineffective on pitches that weren’t bowler friendly, he was effective on all surfaces. . Perhaps it’s just nativity and favouring a more recent player, but that in itself is bias. If you don’t like my conclusion then disagree with it. You can get offended all you like, it doesn’t really change the reality of the comparison.

Jack1

International Debutant
You are funny. Morkel > Willis
We are still waiting for you to explain your reasoning. The problem is you don’t have anything of substance. You just like Morkel more. This is about who is the better bowler, nothing else. You are basically talking out your backside and the poll results show an enormous majority to Willis for good reason. You’re on my ignore list now by the way.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ironic that you criticise someone else's argument as being boring but don't post any sort of actual argument as to why he's wrong.

Mind you, it appears disagreeing with that poster is enough for him to put you on ignore. I've had it done because I dared to point out facts and how he was wrong, yet others have had it for apparently acting like 12 year olds.