• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Afghanistan and Bangladesh tour of India 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Shenwari is a leggie
I'm well aware. I'm also aware that leggies guess less advantage than offies for chucking, but Murali was called for chucking bowling leggies irrc (he changed after his offies were no balled).

And yet Shenwari still isn't bowling. Why on earth has stopped bowling for Afg?

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Rashid Khan's averages are ridiculous at this point in all formats. He isn't even a mystery bowler. It's not like his bowling is out of the ordinary at all. He obviously has very good control and a good googly. My only conclusion though is he is incredible good at second guessing batsmen. And perhaps he has incredible plans to each individual player and knows exactly where to pitch the ball to cause them the most problems. Either way I can't really put my finger on why so many batsmen struggle so much against him, because he does occasionally get blasted out the park and have poor figures. For example in the charity game the other day against the West Indies and a couple of IPL games. But obviously the norm is for him to completely dominate and tie the batsmen into knots.

And then you have Mujeeb Ur Rahman, who has played a lot less but also incredible stats. I saw a lot of Rashid Khan in the IPL and practically zero on Mujeeb..so can't comment really. These two in tandem in tests could be very interesting indeed going by their stats.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm well aware. I'm also aware that leggies guess less advantage than offies for chucking, but Murali was called for chucking bowling leggies irrc (he changed after his offies were no balled).

And yet Shenwari still isn't bowling. Why on earth has stopped bowling for Afg?
Murali's leggies were called because Umpire was influenced to do so. It should have been investigated by ICC then and there.

Shenwari is not a regular bowler now. He used to bowl a lot ten years back, Rashid and Mujeeb would have taken his place and are better bowlers. By the looks of his bowling, he is definitely part time.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Murali's leggies were called because Umpire was influenced to do so. It should have been investigated by ICC then and there.

Shenwari is not a regular bowler now. He used to bowl a lot ten years back, Rashid and Mujeeb would have taken his place and are better bowlers. By the looks of his bowling, he is definitely part time.
Why is he not bowling part time for AFG instead of expensive seamers bowling middle overs?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rashid Khan's averages are ridiculous at this point in all formats. He isn't even a mystery bowler. It's not like his bowling is out of the ordinary at all. He obviously has very good control and a good googly. My only conclusion though is he is incredible good at second guessing batsmen. And perhaps he has incredible plans to each individual player and knows exactly where to pitch the ball to cause them the most problems. Either way I can't really put my finger on why so many batsmen struggle so much against him, because he does occasionally get blasted out the park and have poor figures. For example in the charity game the other day against the West Indies and a couple of IPL games. But obviously the norm is for him to completely dominate and tie the batsmen into knots.

And then you have Mujeeb Ur Rahman, who has played a lot less but also incredible stats. I saw a lot of Rashid Khan in the IPL and practically zero on Mujeeb..so can't comment really. These two in tandem in tests could be very interesting indeed going by their stats.
I think the biggest thing he has is speed through the air/arm speed making his wrong'un difficult to pick & adjust to, along with excellent control

Mr Miyagi

Banned

I havn't crunched the numbers to see if they're accurate, but apparently many IPL commentators have commented Rashid Khan is on average significantly quicker in the air than most leggies, but still getting similar turn as slower bowlers and bigger turn than the likes of quick(er) leggies like Afridi and Kumble.

So this may impact with his sr comming down as the control helps keeps his average low.

But as I say, I havn't crunched the numbers on him yet. And I probably won't till he starts playing some more tests at least.

Last edited:

Daemon

How would you crunch the numbers in this case? Cricinfo doesn't publicly display the speeds anymore and I'm not sure how you'd measure turn.

To the naked eye though it's definitely clear that he turns it bigger than most other quicker leggies. His arm speed is very very fast.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
How would you crunch the numbers in this case? Cricinfo doesn't publicly display the speeds anymore and I'm not sure how you'd measure turn.

To the naked eye though it's definitely clear that he turns it bigger than most other quicker leggies. His arm speed is very very fast.
Turn not. Speeds yes. If he plays in England Sky have a revs per minute but not every ball.

Look out for a compare during WC if Sky get their gadgets out.

Daemon

Sky was displaying 'reaction time' after each ball in the recent Pakistan test as well which was cool. Around .51-.55 seconds for the quicks.

Star once showed an analysis of the turn mumbai has taken for the last decade vs an average of all Indian grounds. Wish they'd make data like this public.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Sky was displaying 'reaction time' after each ball in the recent Pakistan test as well which was cool. Around .51-.55 seconds for the quicks.

Star once showed an analysis of the turn mumbai has taken for the last decade vs an average of all Indian grounds. Wish they'd make data like this public.
Then they wouldnt get a good price for it from visiting touring teams (and possibly BCCI endorsed teams).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is he not bowling part time for AFG instead of expensive seamers bowling middle overs?
Afghan seamers were infact their attacking bowlers in the past. Hamid Hassan was the first Associate bowler to cross 90mph barrier. Having said that, he may be carrying an injury we don't know.

Jack1

International Debutant
Afghan seamers were infact their attacking bowlers in the past. Hamid Hassan was the first Associate bowler to cross 90mph barrier. Having said that, he may be carrying an injury we don't know.
Is he still injured, retired or considered not good enough now? Any ideas? He was a very good quick bowler to be fair. But looking at his career has been very injury prone and age not on his side as a proper quick bowler

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hasan is gone. Broken beyond repair and must be retired by now.

I was referring (he) to Shenwari actually.

Jack1

International Debutant
Hasan is gone. Broken beyond repair and must be retired by now.

I was referring (he) to Shenwari actually.
I know you were referring to Shenwari with the injury comment. I wondered if you knew anything about Hamid Hassan as he hasn't played in quite a well. Just seen the top part. Shame. I suppose it's possible he might come back looking at his age, though unlikely. I checked his cricifno profile and didn't make good reading. I suppose the amazing thing is he hasn't really been missed much by Afghanistan as their bowling is so good depth wise. They just need to find an extra top quality batsman and then will extremely competitive. They are already very competitive obviously.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know you were referring to Shenwari with the injury comment. I wondered if you knew anything about Hamid Hassan as he hasn't played in quite a well. Just seen the top part. Shame. I suppose it's possible he might come back looking at his age, though unlikely.
Hassan apparently was picked in the T20I against Zimbabwe, after having not played since Dec '17 after missing most of the FC season. The fact he didn't play says it all I think.

Does anyone know of any potentially upcoming Afghani pace bowlers? All the guys around their squad atm seem to be either older or have rather unimpressive records.

Jack1

International Debutant
Hassan apparently was picked in the T20I against Zimbabwe, after having not played since Dec '17 after missing most of the FC season. The fact he didn't play says it all I think.

Does anyone know of any potentially upcoming Afghani pace bowlers? All the guys around their squad atm seem to be either older or have rather unimpressive records.
They've got two seamers in the TEST squad with a lot of years left in them. They are 25 and 23 years old. Yamin Ahmedzai and Sayed Shirzad. Their records look decent.

The odds are tight for this game. If I had to bet I'd back Afghanistan to win again today.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
I don't know a stream ing site to watch this. Not being shown on tv here, can't find a stream either. Will have to make do with cricinfo I guess. Just 4 runs of Rashid Khan's first over