• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs Ian Botham / Burgey vs *****

Who the better all rounder

• Shakib Al Hasan

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Ian Botham

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never seen a more tinny cricketer than Botham. I understand fortune favours the brave and all that, but fmd he took wickets with some utter dross, and did it for years.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Never seen a more tinny cricketer than Botham. I understand fortune favours the brave and all that, but fmd he took wickets with some utter dross, and did it for years.

I think it was Roblinda or maybe someone else on youtube made a montage to this effect of Botham's wickets in the 1986/87 Ashes. There are some jammy wickets and a half.

This isn't it: but it gives a flavour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uo123pbq4

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
You're telling me that Border was ever a part of a dressing room where he wasn't the de-facto leader? That just because a piece of paper said Kim Hughes was skipper, that Border consented to it?

If so, that's pretty ****ing weak. No wonder he can't even hold on to a nickname.

I find this bit telling:

Marsh has been much more tight-lipped about the bet. But, as head coach of Australia's Cricket Academy (and just appointed to England's fledgling version), he has had a hard time avoiding it. After lecturing his charges on the dangers of match-fixing, he told the press: "I have no conscience about the '81 bet. I had a five quid bet. I mean, big deal. Most Australians have done that."
So not only does he bet against himself, but then he gets the gig of speaking about the dangers of match-fixing. And then he claims most Australians are casual about betting against themselves in sporting events. Consenting, seasoned adults under no pressure or coercion to do so.

Imagine if Shakib had the benefit of playing these guys.

Burgey

DK would probably have killed him tbf. Even an early-80s Lillee who was down on pace cf the early-mid 70s version. Still managed 39 wickets in that 81 series coming back from a bout of pneumonia. Could have cracked 50 if there wasn't dough in it for him.

cnerd123

likes this
DK would probably have killed him tbf. Even an early-80s Lillee who was down on pace cf the early-mid 70s version. Still managed 39 wickets in that 81 series coming back from a bout of pneumonia. Could have cracked 50 if there wasn't dough in it for him.
I reckon DK would have placed a tenner on Shakib tonning up and then make sure he did so.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You're telling me that Border was ever a part of a dressing room where he wasn't the de-facto leader? That just because a piece of paper said Kim Hughes was skipper, that Border consented to it?

If so, that's pretty ****ing weak. No wonder he can't even hold on to a nickname.

I find this bit telling:

So not only does he bet against himself, but then he gets the gig of speaking about the dangers of match-fixing. And then he claims most Australians are casual about betting against themselves in sporting events. Consenting, seasoned adults under no pressure or coercion to do so.

Imagine if Shakib had the benefit of playing these guys.
Border was not the de facto leader. There were two camps. The Kim Hughes one because he was captain, and the Rod Marsh one (of the players who thought he should have got the captaincy).

Border didn't want to be captain and didn't press any claims for it until burdened with it. And Border is a small fry in Australian cricket terms still in 1981.

Last edited:

Burgey

Imagine TOTAB playing today against the rubbish attacks around the place. He'd never get out. Then imagine some idiot like Warner trying on the **** he did in the dressing room in SA. TOTAB would have taken a Duncan Fearnley to his head and sorted him out, pronto. And if some buffoon like a Kohli or Root actually got in, he'd just bring himself onto bowl and get them out straight away, before securing victory with three direct hit run outs from short midwicket, one of them being de Villiers. He wouldn't drop the ball onto him afterwards, so much as ping it at the imposter's lid and have the ricochet cannon into middle stump, thereby effecting both a run out and a concussion.

The man is a colossus. A one man army.

cnerd123

likes this
It's so fitting that Burgey feels it fit to wax lyrical about Border in a thread dedicated to Shakib

Because Border's so irrelevant he's never going to get his own thread anyways.

Burgey

He doesn't need his own thread, fool. In the next upgrade, the site is going to be renamed TOTABWeb

Burgey

Not really tbh.

There needs to be a discussion about Kohli ducking Afghanistan's first test imo. c. Scared b. Frightened.

Daemon

Not really tbh.

There needs to be a discussion about Kohli ducking Afghanistan's first test imo. c. Scared b. Frightened.
Doesn't want to minnow bash to inflate his stats. That's the reason why india rarely play Bangladesh and play half strength against Zimbabwe.

Daemon

SL beat Australia 3-0 though

It's not India's fault they make everyone look like minnows at home