• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Test cricket won't be around in time' - Brendon McCullum

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like to know how SL and the WI managed to play more tests than NZ in the last 18months, and the next 18 months (by the sounds of it).

If Tests are not financially viable for NZ with near-on 5 million people and a GDP of 185 billion US, how is it for SL with 20 million people and a GDP of about 80 billion US? Presumably there's just less to do in SL.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd like to know how SL and the WI managed to play more tests than NZ in the last 18months, and the next 18 months (by the sounds of it).

If Tests are not financially viable for NZ with near-on 5 million people and a GDP of 185 billion US, how is it for SL with 20 million people and a GDP of about 80 billion US? Presumably there's just less to do in SL.
Taj TV appears to own the rights for both WI and SL. I’m guessing something to do with that.

Edit: Pakistan, South Africa and Zimbabwe too...

They also specifically mention buying 253 days of cricket in the West Indies deal.

Who are these guys?

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned

I want to know why the EWCB invited Pakistan for a 2 test tour this year, after NZ was last there in 2015 and they ranted and raved how good we were in drawing 1-1, (could have easily been 2-0 to us) and then Pakistan played 4 tests there the year after.

I also don't recall us touring SL in tests since 2012? But they kept visiting us. Trying to make sense out of touring agreements is not going to lead to a good time.

I think David White is part of the problem. And I think NZC has an image problem to selling itself to foreign nations that SL, Pak and even WI (who are really really woeful these days) don't have.

SL also has far more ex-pats around the world still into cricket. At Eden Park alone they can rival the local fans.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Well, yeah there wouldn't be much to do in SL. Also you'd think a higher proportion of the country would be interested in cricket compared to NZ. I mean you don't exactly hear about Sri Lanka playing other sports at any decent level do you?

Also NZ is a pretty nice place. Living there you'd want to get out and hang in nature wouldn't you. Sri Lanka is kind of depressing and facilities struggle in comparison, and if you try and hang out in nature you get eaten by a tiger.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taj TV appears to own the rights for both WI and SL. I’m guessing something to do with that.

Edit: Pakistan, South Africa and Zimbabwe too...

They also specifically mention buying 253 days of cricket in the West Indies deal.

Who are these guys?
They also mention days for South Africa and Zimbabwe. Seems like they buy tv rights to fill time on a 24 hour cricket channel in India.

Almost all these deals end in 2019 and I’m really struggling to find if Taj TV actually profited from buying up the rights to these countries. Some of the phrasing I saw made it look like they were only interested in getting the rights to India’s away games in these countries.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
things probably cost less in SL/WI as well tbh
The bigger problem for NZC is we're not touring there regularly. We're still having a home test season against them, kind of, sorta, I mean there are games in all whites.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
They also mention days for South Africa and Zimbabwe. Seems like they buy tv rights to fill time on a 24 hour cricket channel in India.

Almost all these deals end in 2019 and I’m really struggling to find if Taj TV actually profited from buying up the rights to these countries. Some of the phrasing I saw made it look like they were only interested in getting the rights to India’s away games in these countries.
Further digging shows Zee owns a sizeable chunk of Taj TV. So basically the reason WI/SL/SA/ZIM/PAK can afford Test cricket appears to be due to a deal with a major Indian network.

#conspiracyAthlai they have bought all these contracts so they can own the rights for India tours and in a wider sense want content to run a 24 hour cricket channel so can stand to pay top dollar to fund a calendar for **** bilaterals between countries, because a **** ODI between WI/SL just means you get less hours than a **** test to throw on your 24 hour channel and it was never gonna earn money anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned

This is true, so what the likes of NZC did when dealing with Sony in the previous tv cycle, was to only offer to sell them everything all bundled for years and years, or nothing. So they bought it mostly for India, but it gave them the ability to broadcast any NZC home game.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
The bigger problem for NZC is we're not touring there regularly. We're still having a home test season against them, kind of, sorta, I mean there are games in all whites.
Isn't an overseas tour just a net loss for a team? Like, unless they can sell the rights for it separately to someone else. But otherwise they're paying travelling/accommodation costs and not earning any ticket sales/ad revenue from each game.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Isn't an overseas tour just a net loss for a team? Like, unless they can sell the rights for it separately to someone else. But otherwise they're paying travelling/accommodation costs and not earning any ticket sales/ad revenue from each game.

Depends on terms with the host. It is all negotiated between the two and there is meant to be reciprocity sought. Pretty sure India has bought and paid big the WI on demand in the past to play tests (Was it Tendulkar's farewell?), and in a different tour threatened to sue them for missing tests after the WI players were unhappy with how much of their tour fees from BCCI was going to be retained into profits for WICB to pay for domestic. Walter Hadlee's 1949'ers got paid a min tour fee and a percentage of the gate in England. It is all what the parties agree to to make the tour happen.

BCCI has even refused to tour UAE in recent past on the argument that they did not approve of the host broadcaster in India would be that had contracted with PCB. That is where it gets unusual, the only unspoken rule is that the host gets total control and pockets the broadcast rights (this could change in the future though but bundling makes it very difficult to ascribe a value to unless its an individual stream deal outside a Willow contract). Everything else is negotiable.

The golden rule is outside India that the big pay day is hosting an Ashes or an India tour in your backyard due to broadcast rights. So people do whatever they have to to make a buck including the BCCI. Be it reciprocal tours, or sweeteners - or a vote at the ICC.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Can we just support cricket in NZ by attending games + some Netflix-esque subscription where you pay 10 bucks a month or something. Can't help that the only way people get to watch it is through the dying SKY TV.
I'd pay $30 for that subscription to get overseas as well.

Probably $40.

Even at $50 I think its possibly a better deal than Sky.

Flem274*

123/5
sky tvs slow death is probably wrecking NZC somewhat

nz cricket also lacks the big money types other non-rugby sports get for the love of the game, and the usual conduct of david white and nzc probably means it won't happen any time soon.

colin giltrap for example ran the NZ A1GP team from his own pocket as much as Fisher and Paykel sponsorship, and he's given loads of young racers cash. Pretty sure Brendon Hartley, Earl Bamber, Mitch Evans and Richie Stanaway have all been given money by him. Team Kiwi Racing was financed by someone for the love too, and that launched Shane van Gisbergen.

Every single kiwi who took their horse from their farm to the olympics has a rich bloke or woman sponsoring them for the fun of it. ESNZ don't have any money.

The Wellington Phoenix keep getting salvaged every few years and no one goes to their games. League has the Mad Butcher.

i imagine english cricket benefit from a few lords and dukes topping up the vault, and cricket doesn't exactly need formula 1 levels of money to reach the top level.

no one wants to give NZ cricket money, and i can't really blame them. imagine making a donation right before captaincygate.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Sky already killed cricket in Britain so I suppose they are continuing the job in New Zealand? I remember boxing (my second favourite sport) being killed off, firstly by subscription then by pay-per-view. Pay-per-view cricket: you've heard it here first!!

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Sky already killed cricket in Britain so I suppose they are continuing the job in New Zealand? I remember boxing (my second favourite sport) being killed off, firstly by subscription then by pay-per-view. Pay-per-view cricket: you've heard it here first!!
Don't give them ideas. Please.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
sky tvs slow death is probably wrecking NZC somewhat

nz cricket also lacks the big money types other non-rugby sports get for the love of the game, and the usual conduct of david white and nzc probably means it won't happen any time soon.

colin giltrap for example ran the NZ A1GP team from his own pocket as much as Fisher and Paykel sponsorship, and he's given loads of young racers cash. Pretty sure Brendon Hartley, Earl Bamber, Mitch Evans and Richie Stanaway have all been given money by him. Team Kiwi Racing was financed by someone for the love too, and that launched Shane van Gisbergen.

Every single kiwi who took their horse from their farm to the olympics has a rich bloke or woman sponsoring them for the fun of it. ESNZ don't have any money.

The Wellington Phoenix keep getting salvaged every few years and no one goes to their games. League has the Mad Butcher.

i imagine english cricket benefit from a few lords and dukes topping up the vault, and cricket doesn't exactly need formula 1 levels of money to reach the top level.

no one wants to give NZ cricket money, and i can't really blame them. imagine making a donation right before captaincygate.
I know Bob Jones fancies boxing, but he'll happily hire a post NZC player and make them multi multi multi millionaire, but its not like Ron Brierley is dead yet (I don't think, but he is overseas based now - but he gave NZC players a lot just to bat #11 once a year with them) and I doubt he is the only rich person who favoured cricket in NZ. This kind of stuff still happens, whether national domestic teams or our international players. We're just not hearing about it at a Giltrap level (who like the Mad Butch is a legend for his sport of choice - don't disagree). The difference is, the money demands are so much greater now that cricket is in a new level of altruism. 1m makes a huge difference to Matt Halliday, to a touring squad of 20, not as much.

Team Kiwi fund raised at some points - I'm sure.

There's no point comparing available kiwi benfactors to the lords, barons, earls and knights of England, Our multi millionaire farmers live a more frugal life wearing stubbies and swandries and claiming poverty, while on multi million dollar farms.

Last edited:

Daemon

Pay per view in 2030 - You can pay to watch balls played or bowled by certain players. The rest of the game not involving players you have paid to watch is replaced by advertisements. The players then get 20% of the money paid to watch them. Nobody pays for debutants/new unexciting players and they starve while the Virat Kohlis of the world get richer. Players resort to being 'exciting' by getting involved in sledging, physical fights, ridiculous haircuts and playing switch hits every few balls in order to attract more ppv. Cricket dies a slow death.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Pay per view in 2030 - You can pay to watch balls played or bowled by certain players. The rest of the game not involving players you have paid to watch is replaced by advertisements. The players then get 20% of the money paid to watch them. Nobody pays for debutants/new unexciting players and they starve while the Virat Kohlis of the world get richer. Players resort to being 'exciting' by getting involved in sledging, physical fights, ridiculous haircuts and playing switch hits every few balls in order to attract more ppv. Cricket dies a slow death.

Pay per view per ball? Bet which ball is the ball to watch?

Salmatt Butt calls it pay tv's spot watching :ph34r:

You know the odds - which ball will you watch?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sky NZ is unrelated as far as I know.