• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Cricket Pitch in Russia

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
A cricket pitch is being laid down in the grounds of Volgograd Medical Institute.
It is to my knowledge at least the first real cricket pitch in Russia.
It is being initiated by the School's large population of students from the subcontinent.
Now even native Russians are joining up to play at the Institute.

You should see how green the wicket is though --- it makes Headingley look like a dustbowl. :D

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I should add that it actually gets quite hot in Volgograd
unlike Moscow where ice on the ground even in summer makes maintaining
a cricket pitch very difficult.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Awesome! I can see Russia being a powerful cricketing nation in the distant future. Not sure if it'd be in anyone here's time, but someday.

Deja moo

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
Awesome! I can see Russia being a powerful cricketing nation in the distant future. Not sure if it'd be in anyone here's time, but someday.
Now if only they could find a way to thaw all that ice............

PY

International Coach
Spetsnatz said:
A cricket pitch is being laid down in the grounds of Volgograd Medical Institute.
It is to my knowledge at least the first real cricket pitch in Russia.
It is being initiated by the School's large population of students from the subcontinent.
Now even native Russians are joining up to play at the Institute.

You should see how green the wicket is though --- it makes Headingley look like a dustbowl. :D
Welcome to CW. :)

Great news to hear that Russia is getting in on the greatest game of all.
Who is paying for the pitch? Must be a university I guess?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Excellent. Another country gets involved in cricket.

Now all we need is to take Roman Abramovich away from Stanford Bridge and to Lord's :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Welcome to the forums! CW breaks into more nationalities!

I was in Finland, and we could look over to Russia from one of the hills.. It did look rather nippy for a game of cricket though!

Roman Abramovich the new Kerry Packer!!