• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why no Elgar, Bavuma and de Bruyn for the 4 day games? You would think with the India series next year this would be a good opportunity for those guys. Cook, Malan, Curran and Woakes all featured against India A last month for the England Lions.

SeamUp

International Coach
Why no Elgar, Bavuma and de Bruyn for the 4 day games? You would think with the India series next year this would be a good opportunity for those guys. Cook, Malan, Curran and Woakes all featured against India A last month for the England Lions.
Tell me about it.

Bavuma & De Bruyn are their for limited overs and if they say they wanted the team together for preparation I would say that helping current Proteas gain experience is important.

I think Elgar is re-joining Surrey.

SeamUp

International Coach
A bowlers playing fetch. Olivier is solid but I still think long term to provide support to KG and Lungi we will have to find better. I'm still holding hopes that Dupavillon (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3xR3dBsFu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tjgy8u8k8lz9) comes back strong with his skiddy speed being a perfect foil to the other two.

Obviously 18 year old Gerald Coetzee looks like the real deal. Training with the Knights and I think he will get games next season with de Lange not being around much if at all.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Tell me about it.

Bavuma & De Bruyn are their for limited overs and if they say they wanted the team together for preparation I would say that helping current Proteas gain experience is important.

I think Elgar is re-joining Surrey.
It does seem that once someone becomes established in the national side they're deemed to have graduated and won't feature for the A side until they fall out of favour. So since Bavuma and De Bruyn aren't playing the four day matches because they're now permanent members of the test squad, but will be there for the shorter stuff because they're not ODI regulars.

But there's definitely a case to be made for players like them to feature for the A side, so maybe there needs to be a change of thinking so that playing for the A side isn't seen as a demotion.

Dendarii

International Debutant
A bowlers playing fetch. Olivier is solid but I still think long term to provide support to KG and Lungi we will have to find better. I'm still holding hopes that Dupavillon (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3xR3dBsFu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tjgy8u8k8lz9) comes back strong with his skiddy speed being a perfect foil to the other two.

Obviously 18 year old Gerald Coetzee looks like the real deal. Training with the Knights and I think he will get games next season with de Lange not being around much if at all.
I'm also interested in seeing how MIchael Cohen develops, as a good left-armer would offer a different dimension to the attack. Although obviously he shouldn't be picked just because he's a leftie (which was the sort of thinking gave us Wayne Parnell).

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm also interested in seeing how MIchael Cohen develops, as a good left-armer would offer a different dimension to the attack. Although obviously he shouldn't be picked just because he's a leftie (which was the sort of thinking gave us Wayne Parnell).
He is in an interesting one but you got to wonder how much cricket and opportunity he will get at the Cobras next season. We have been crying out for a left-armer which we rarely produce in SA. I'm thinking Goddard , Jefferies and Schultz as the only one's with any quality.

One thing is for sure Piedt and von Berg haven't done enough to push Maharaj and Shamsi who look set to dominate the spin positions for the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
New cycle new names. Gerald Coetzee is still eligible and 2 others who toured England but not at this camp Achille Cloete (Boland) & Mondli Khumalo (KZN Inland) but Jono Bird (WP) did attend.

Following the recent success by the Coca-Cola South Africa under-19s, the next crop of youngsters gathered at the Cricket South Africa (CSA) Powerade Centre of Excellence in Pretoria for the National under-17 Talent Acceleration Programme (TAP). The camp kicked off on Thursday, 2 August and focused on improving the core skills of the players before concluding on Sunday, 5 August.

On the back of various regional camps around the country, provincial scouts together with the CSA High-Performance team identified a squad of 26 players to take part in the camp, including newly-capped SA U19s batsman Jonathan Bird from. 17-year old Bird was crowned Player of the Series during the Junior Proteas’ victorious One-Day International series against England.

"The camp will be used as the starting point ahead of the under-19s tour to India in January next year and the anticipated ICC U19 Cricket World Cup that will be hosted in South Africa in 2020. With the players at the camp eligible for selection for the two upcoming squads, they will be hoping to put their hands up and leave an impression on the coaching staff."

“It’s the start of the journey. We’ve had regional camps throughout July that have been held around the country and these are some of the young men that have impressed.” SA U19 Head Coach, Lawrence Mahatlane commented.

Upon arrival, the promising cricketers were briefed on the camp’s outlines before being put through their paces in a strenuous fitness test. On the morning of day two, the players were taken through a Time Management lecture delivered by Johan Muller, Cricket Operations Manager at the Northerns Cricket Union, after which they headed out for a nets and fielding session.

“After the first nets session, I have been impressed with the quality I have seen,” he continued.

"This camp is a skills-based camp. We are helping the boys with the skills. The scouts have done a great job in helping. One aims of the things with the PPPs (Player Performance Plan) and PDPs (Personal Development Plan) is to make sure that we are all aligned from the national body all the way to the scouts, the franchises and the coaches. We want to make sure we are sending the same message to the players and hopefully, we can help them achieve the goals that they wish to achieve in cricket.” Mahatlane added.
“Our national tournaments like the CSA U17 Momentum Week and Coca-Cola Khaya Majola U19s Week play crucial roles in helping to identify the next generation of cricketers. After that, we’ve got Cubs Week that will be franchised-based. With India coming up next year, that is where the identification and selection process will take place and it is important we send the right messages from now on.
Hopefully, for the next couple of months, these young men can take the message and keep improving.” Mahatlane concluded.

The details of the India tour in 2019 will be released in due time.

U17 TAP Camp 2018 Squad
Khaya Cotani (Boland), Ruan Terblance (Boland), Lilitha Reed (Border), Nonelela Yika (Border), Neo Felane (Easterns) Khaya Nyamethe (Easterns), Luke Beaufort (Eastern Province), Siyathemba Mdlankomo (Eastern Province), Tiaan Van Vuuren (Eastern Province), Arend Visser (Eastern Province), Ruan Cronje (Free State), Pheko Moletsane (Free State), Jack Lees (Gauteng), Connor Esterhuizen (Gauteng), Bryce Parsons (Gauteng), Clayton Pather (Gauteng), Heinrigh Pieterse (Gauteng), Lita Ntanzi (KwaZulu Natal), Jacques Vosloo (Mphumalanga), Karabelo Matlawe (North West), Odirile Modimokoane (North West), Phemelo Sepati (North West), Paballo Sibande (North West), Mushwana Wisani (Northerns), Jonathan Bird (Western Province), Jordan Woolf (Western Province)

A very strong Eastern Province and Gauteng contingent.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
2 sessions to bat out unlikely.
Hamza with 63 & Second at the crease at the moment.

SA A 162/5 (65.0 ov, RS Second 30*, S von Berg 17*, Mohammed Siraj 4/42) - Lunch | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
Did well after the start they had to take the game so deep but they should be very disappointed that they lost by an innings in India and 17 of their wickets fell to pace. Indian quicks got both the new and old ball to swing. Good game for Seconds though, so close to a hundred in both innings.

Borges

International Regular
The South African batting did quite well in their second outing. There was plenty of swing on offer on all four days; there also was variable bounce on days three and four.
They ought to be more worried about their bowling which failed to exploit the helpful conditions. To be fair, the only period in which the sun was out was on day two, when Agarwal and Shaw were making merry.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rudi Second really has done well to get where he is. Originally Border then Eastern Province and then Free State where he finally got his Knights contract. Nothing pretty. A grafter but savage on anything short on off-side.

@Borges - Agree on the bowling. B.Hendricks & Olivier are solid operators but you just feel that top domestic and chipping in internationally is what they will do best. Olivier will probably play a few games and like in SA has done well for Derbyshire - it is 2nd division but he got a 16 5-20 before he left. Siboto is the weak link and then we clearly had to bowl too much spin and right now von Berg/Piedt are quite a bit behind Maharaj/Harmer/Shamsi.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
With Quinny de Kock getting the SA captaincy it brings me back to one of the more talented SA u19 squads that him and Chad Bowes captained. I must admit I expected more of these players to be SA A at least.

Those contracted professionally

Quinton DE KOCK (CSA/Titans)
Theunis DE BRUYN (Titans)
Chad BOWES (Canterbury)
Gihahn CLOETE (Warriors)
Calvin SAVAGE (Dolphins)
Prenelan SUBRAYEN (Dolphins)
Corne DRY (Knights)
Lizaad WILLIAMS (Cobras)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans are going to the Seychelles for a pre-season camp & will play local opposition. Something I didn't think I would see.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka’s ‘Emerging’ top three have all played test cricket, Karunaratne over 50 test matches, and batting at number 3 in today’s game is Chandimal, the national team captain. Some of the South Africans by contrast are still amateurs without professional contracts but its great experience nevertheless.

SeamUp

International Coach
Sri Lanka’s ‘Emerging’ top three have all played test cricket, Karunaratne over 50 test matches, and batting at number 3 in today’s game is Chandimal, the national team captain. Some of the South Africans by contrast are still amateurs without professional contracts but its great experience nevertheless.
If they were going to play such strong teams on this tour it would have been nice to send out a stronger team ourselves but obviously there is a purpose for the academy.

SeamUp

International Coach
Season ahead forgetting outside factors.

COBRAS

P.Malan
J.Malan
Hamza
Bedingham
Verreynne (wk)
Smith/Galiem
Parnell
Linde/Kleinveldt
Piedt
Paterson
Williams/Cohen

CSA : Amla will hardly play. Duminy limited overs if available. Vern probably use a game or 2 before test summer.

WARRIORS

Moore
Cloete
Ackermann
Vallie
Smuts
Breetzke/Jonker
Fortuin/Qeshile (wk)
Harmer
Birch/Sipamla
Magala
Nortje

DOLPHINS

Erwee
Van Wyk
Van Jaarsveld
Zondo
Muthusamy
Vilas (wk)
Savage
Frylinck/E.Bosch
Subrayen
Dupavillon
Zuma/Cele/Mungroo

Miller, Phehlukwayo, Maharaj & Tahir only play one format for definite at this point.

LIONS

Rickelton
Cook
R.Hendricks
Vd Dussen
Ramela
Mulder
D.Pretorius
Mosehle (wk)
Fortuin/Phangiso
Siboto/M.Pretorius
B.Hendricks/Burger

Bavuma has been made captain but KG maybe plays 1 game to warm up if that.

TITANS

Agathangelou
De Zorzi/Davids
De Bruyn/Kuhn
Klaasen (wk)
Behardien
Moonsamy/Makwetu
A.Morkel
Von Berg
C.Bosch
Hawken/Moreki
Dala

Elgar, Morris, Shamsi only 1 format for definite.
QdK, Faf, Markram, Ngidi a warm up game at best.
Steyn could start the season with some games.

KNIGHTS
Only care about

Gous (wk)
Second (wk)
Van Tonder
Kruger
McLaren
Olivier
Coetzee

Last edited: